PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Australia ATR's to fly MEL-LST

Ryan K
4th September 2014, 09:14 PM
It looks like VA are to replace two of their four daily 737/E90 jet services from MEL to LST with ATR's. A route proving flight operated last week. I'm not 100% sure when this will start.

The VA website shows four daily flights in each direction next March, with two of these taking 60 minutes and the other two taking 85 minutes. Strangely enough, the 85 minute flights show E90's (should be ATR?) and the 60 minute flights 738's.

Perhaps this reduction in seats will pave the way for Tigerair to return to Launceston?

Yusef D
5th September 2014, 10:39 AM
VA just did a little ground crew training in Melbourne and Launie with an ATR, so,I'd be surprised if it took another 5 months before services start.

Ryan K
5th September 2014, 11:04 AM
Jetstar and Qantaslink have really increased their services to LST over the past year. It must be having an impact on Virgin Australia. Jetstar's early evening SYD-LST service is currently being serviced by an A321 and all MEL-LST Qlink flight have been upgraded to Q400's.

Rowan McKeever
5th September 2014, 11:54 AM
It looks as though the change occurs from 17 November.

One MEL/CBR/MEL rotation also goes to ATR by the looks of it - MEL1155-1315CBR1405-1530MEL. Can't see anything for the aircraft will be doing between 1920 and 0805, so perhaps it's resting in MEL that whole time? Or a new service / route? Or, another existing service swaps to ATR but they haven't gotten that far yet?

Greg Hyde
5th September 2014, 01:08 PM
VAR latest ATR arrived in Perth yesterday.

Yusef D
5th September 2014, 01:12 PM
Maybe a Mildura overnight?

Ryan K
5th September 2014, 01:28 PM
Or a new MEL-DPO service?

Rowan McKeever
5th September 2014, 01:36 PM
MQL and DPO were among my thoughts. MQL stays the same with a single mid-morning departure from MEL (and too short a block time for an ATR), and DPO isn't in their website's destination list (yet). Also looked at SYD, HBA and an overnighter in CBR, nothing there either. I'm sure all will be revealed!

Greg Hyde
5th September 2014, 04:14 PM
What is old is new again.

I flew MEL-DPO on Fokker Friendships several times.

Rowan McKeever
30th September 2014, 04:09 PM
The longer sectors seem to have disappeared from the booking screens on VA's website... have they changed their mind, I wonder?

Ryan K
1st October 2014, 11:28 AM
I've noticed the same thing Rowan. The MEL-LST flights that were 85 minutes in length have reverted to 60 minutes. Looks like a further delay on the introduction of ATR flights to LST?

Rowan McKeever
2nd October 2014, 02:40 PM
I looked in my company's corporate travel booking system (which, in my experience, matches what the airlines say on their websites) and same result as looking at VA's website. No ATRs operating out of MEL at least as far through as end-April 2015.

lloyd fox
3rd October 2014, 08:41 AM
Virgin refuted they were to commence ATR ops ex MEL the week after the ATR was seen in MEL.I read at least 2 articles on that fact.

Virgin stated they would train staff in case ATR aircraft were redeployed there in the future, and then they stated they have no such plans to do so.

Ryan K
3rd October 2014, 09:45 AM
That still doesn't explain why in VA's booking system two of the four daily MEL-LST flights had been changed to 85 minutes duration. These have both changed back to the normal 60 minute length that the 737-800's and E90's do.

Dave J
3rd October 2014, 12:32 PM
However it appears the ATR is still scheduled to operate a CBR - MEL - CBR service at some stage!

Rowan McKeever
3rd October 2014, 12:57 PM
When's that Dave?

Radi K
4th October 2014, 08:08 PM
There was plans for the ATR and it did a proving flight but the flights have gone back to E190s for now.

Dave J
4th October 2014, 08:25 PM
Starting Monday 10th November VA 262 CBR - MEL is at ATR !! It returns as VA269 from MEL -CBR

Rowan McKeever
29th October 2014, 02:25 PM
It's back on. MEL-CBR / MEL-LST with ATRs from next month.

http://australianaviation.com.au/2014/10/virgin-schedules-atr-services-from-melbourne/

Ryan K
29th October 2014, 03:01 PM
From what I can gather, VA are dropping all Embraer services from Launceston and settling on three daily 737 MEL-LST flights (Mon-Fri) as well as the current daily SYD-LST 737 service. There does look to be a single ATR flight to compliment the 737 services on the weekend. So perhaps a slight decrease in capacity and certainly a decrease in frequency.

Dirk L
29th October 2014, 08:19 PM
I'm surprised they are introducing ATR services to LST just before the peak summer tourist season kicks in, although JQ have eaten up a lot of VA's market share for LST- MEL route lately with JQ offering upto six flights a day all with A320 aircraft compared to VA offering only 4 sun - fri and just 3 on Saturdays. Would be interesting to see if they replace some of the existing 737 flights with more ATRs during the quiet winter season.

BTW I'm Dirk, new member here.

Ryan K
30th October 2014, 09:17 AM
Hi Dirk, welcome. :-)

I'm surprised that Virgin aren't replacing one of their daily MEL-LST flights with a Tigerair service. Launceston still doesn't have a Tigerair service which is unusual for an airport that handles nearly 1.3 million passengers per year.

Justin L
30th October 2014, 02:32 PM
LST used to have TT service pre-Virgin ownership days. TT would only cater for MEL-LST O&D traffic, whereas VA allows for through connections from MEL to other ports as well - better competing with QF for reach beyond MEL.

Dirk L
30th October 2014, 07:53 PM
Back when Tiger was in LST, Virgin was still an considered a 'budget carrier' and had up to 5 LST-MEL flights daily with 737-800 aircraft and had the highest frequencies and seat numbers compared to any other carrier at the time. Things have changed since then.

Now that VA has full ownership of TT, maybe down the track they will re-brand it and make it more like the old Virgin blue style carrier as the name 'Tiger' still leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths.

JamesL
31st October 2014, 11:02 AM
When was the last time you flew TT Dirk?

Ryan K
31st October 2014, 02:10 PM
Back when Tiger was in LST, Virgin was still an considered a 'budget carrier' and had up to 5 LST-MEL flights daily with 737-800 aircraft and had the highest frequencies and seat numbers compared to any other carrier at the time. Things have changed since then.

Now that VA has full ownership of TT, maybe down the track they will re-brand it and make it more like the old Virgin blue style carrier as the name 'Tiger' still leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths.

I'm surprised that Virgin don't use Tiger by taking on Jetstar in LST. Virgin are dropping to three LST-MEL flights a day, it would be good to see capacity kept the same by making up for the lost VA seats with a daily Tiger service.

Justin L
1st November 2014, 08:19 AM
Don't forget JQ also codeshare with QF for international connections so those JQ flights include QF seats for onward international travel from MEL also. Unless TT/VA do something similar Tigerair will likely use their smaller fleet for better utilization on higher yield O&D routes.