PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Radio Exchange

David Knudsen
3rd July 2008, 11:04 AM
Heard this one this morning on Brisbane Approach North (124.7), obviously have changed the rego to "ABC", but the a/c involved was a Caboolture-based Cessna operating a skydive flight. I tuned in about half way through the saga;

Approach: ABC, confirm chutes are below Class C airspace?
ABC: Chutes open, ABC.
Approach: ABC, confirm chutes are below 3500 feet?
ABC: Arrrrr, affirmative, ABC.

About 30 seconds later;

Approach: ABC, turn left heading 360.
ABC: Left 360, ABC.

Another 30 seconds later;

Approach (sounding very frustrated): ABC, what are you doing?
ABC: Alpha Bravo Charlie?
Approach: ABC I said turn left 360, which is north, you've turned right mate and you're heading south.
ABC: 360, ABC.

Approach: ABC, I've got a number here for you to call, do you want it now? Perhaps it would be better if I give it to you on the ground?
ABC: Go ahead
Approach: (Gives out number, I'd assume for ASA?)
ABC: (reads back number)
Approach (sounding very angry): ABC, that’s the third time I’ve pinged you today, control services terminated, remain outside controlled airspace and below 3500, you will not be getting any more clearances today, make sure you call that number as soon as you're on the ground. Frequency change approved, see-ya.

ABC never did a readback of the last, and then remained at 3700' as he flew west, meaning the controller kept having to warn other traffic. He was in a bit of a mood after that, as he had 2 aircraft wanting to do survey work around the airport and city who weren't that great at following instructions either, and he gave them a bit of stick.

ChrisG.
3rd July 2008, 01:08 PM
G'day David,
Unfortunately this just goes to show the caliber of some pilots who we have to deal with on a day to day basis. The controllers do a fantastic job, even with the short supply.

I spent some time listening to my scanner today (days off, they're great), and am apalled at the lack of proper radio phraseology some of these so called "professional" pilots have. I shake my head every time I hear it.

I'd say this pilot is going to have a nice letter in the mail with a few "please explains".

Chris

Tony P
3rd July 2008, 10:23 PM
G'day David,
I'd say this pilot is going to have a nice letter in the mail with a few "please explains".

Chris

I think he would've got that with the phone call!!