PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D80 - DSLR

Jason Mac
14th July 2008, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

I am looking at purchasing a Nikon D80 DSLR... My budget for a DSLR is limited to around $1400.

Any feedback, both positive and negative on this model camera would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone wants to suggest an alternantive, please feel free to do so.

Jason

David Knudsen
14th July 2008, 04:49 PM
Hi Jason - does the $1400 include lenses, or do you have existing (Nikon?) lenses?

Jason Mac
14th July 2008, 04:51 PM
Dave,

All I have is a Nikon EF 300mm lense from my old Nikon 35mm and I also have a
SB600 flash

Jason

NickN
15th July 2008, 12:43 PM
I noticed the Good Guys are selling the D60 with twin lens kit for around $1169 or the 450D twin lens kit for $1479.

http://www.thegoodguys.com.au/portal/page/portal/tggwebcms/corporate/products/details?groupId=25&storeId=48

I dislike Canon and Nikon but those prices seem reasonable.

Andrew McLaughlin
15th July 2008, 01:29 PM
I dislike Canon and Nikon...

...ummm, what else is there?

Stop right there! We do NOT want this argument again -mod

Craig Murray
15th July 2008, 05:22 PM
Stop right there! We do NOT want this argument again -mod

Say's you sir!

Why has nobody picked up that Nikon have named their camera after the Canon that really set the digital world alight, the humble Canon D60!

Even Nikon love Canon!

Adrian B
15th July 2008, 08:10 PM
Jason

To save a lot of moderation, and argument, here is the deal.

Nikon V Canon is the old Holden v Ford argument. they both have pros and cons from weight to cost. I would suggest you go on the following in no particular order. Dont forget the Pentax and Sony (Toyota, Hyundai )

What are you going to use it for, apart from aviation? - This will also help determine what type of lenses you need. I shoot aviation, the odd wedding, panoramics and

Price - We all have a budget, but be prepared to spend a few exra hundred over the following months on accessories, such as cleaning lens, memory cards, batteries and a camera bag.

Comfort - Go to a shop and pick them up, play with them, see what is comfortable to hold, play with the settings (k nobs got *** out ?) , what feels right in your hands is important.

Glass Be prepared to spend some more money. Whilst the kit lenses are getting better, lenses are not cheap, but you get what you pay for. You dont have to have a nikon camera and a nikon lens.Same with Canon. Sigma lenses are very very good Lenses..

Deals - Shop around, you might get 2 kit lenses at some places, but one for another but with a camera bag and lens cleaner. Do the math.

For the record, I have a D50 with a 18-55 lens, 70-300m lens and a Sigma 24-70 Macro lens. Also a SB600 flash, flash bracket and cables.

any questions let me know.

Craig Murray
15th July 2008, 09:59 PM
Nikon V Canon is the old Holden v Ford argument. they both have pros and cons from weight to cost. I would suggest you go on the following in no particular order. Dont forget the Pentax and Sony (Toyota, Hyundai )

So my preference is for a Ford (as you describe it) and you're telling me the number one selling camera in the world is a Pentax?! Ouch :D

The people who make Pentax (whoever that is!) will be most chuffed that they're suddenly top of the pops.

And Adrian, I second your comments re Sigma lenses. Very, very good and keenly priced.

NickN
16th July 2008, 06:02 PM
Hoya Corporation own Pentax however the 14.6MP CMOS sensor in the new K20D was designed in conjunction with Samsung.

Pentax rated above the 450D (however not by much) on DPreview from memory as well as other preview sites.

David Knudsen
16th July 2008, 10:55 PM
Hoya Corporation own Pentax however the 14.6MP CMOS sensor in the new K20D was designed in conjunction with Samsung.

Pentax rated above the 450D (however not by much) on DPreview from memory as well as other preview sites.

The K20D (body) is priced in the same $1200-$1400 range as the Canon 40D, so its probably fairer to compare the K20D against the 40D rather than the 450D. (PS I wouldn't go bragging about that samsung bit, have you ever used a Samsung digital still? ugh..)

NickN
17th July 2008, 01:31 PM
Samsung digital still as in a P&S? Point and shoot no, and as for DSLR the GX-20 is basically the K20D re-badged.

The day Pentax/Hoya decide the build a larger range of lenses like Canon has will be the day they will really be able to directly compete because the Pentax camera bodies are very nice.

ChrisG.
17th July 2008, 01:53 PM
Yeah, you see Pentolta being used all the time at sporting events etc........ Ohh, sorry, was mistaken with Canon and Nikon. My mistake.

Jason Mac
17th July 2008, 08:58 PM
Thanks to all who replied to my question.
Jason