PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Canada (off topic)

Mick F
21st July 2008, 03:57 PM
G'day All,
Just after some help. I'm planning on visiting Canada next February for a short ski holiday and a bit of a look around. I'm going to Banff for probably 5-6 days, but am unsure as to what to do with the rest of my time (I arrive in the country on the 2nd, leave the 13th, so not terribly long).

I was looking at spending the rest of the time in Calgary and having a look around there, but I've had Vancouver recommended to me over Calgary, with maybe a drive to and from Banff from there.

Anyone who's been there that can make any suggestions?

Cheers

Mick

Andrew McLaughlin
21st July 2008, 04:11 PM
G'day All,
Just after some help. I'm planning on visiting Canada next February for a short ski holiday and a bit of a look around. I'm going to Banff for probably 5-6 days, but am unsure as to what to do with the rest of my time (I arrive in the country on the 2nd, leave the 13th, so not terribly long).

I was looking at spending the rest of the time in Calgary and having a look around there, but I've had Vancouver recommended to me over Calgary, with maybe a drive to and from Banff from there.

Anyone who's been there that can make any suggestions?

Cheers

Mick

Vancouver is beautiful, and is only a short 2-3 hour drive/45 min flight to Seattle (Boeing factory, Museum of Flight etc etc). I'm sure board member Scott Lindsell can enlighten you on how best to see Seattle. :cool:

There are whale watching tours in and around Vancouver/Vancouver Island/Victoria, cruises up the coast, and great fishing as well, although I'm sure it's seasonal and may not be at its best in February.

There's also the Rocky Mountaineer train (with the glass ceiling upstairs!) from Vancouver to Banff and which also takes in Jasper and Whistler.

Have fun!

Andrew

Andrew S
21st July 2008, 04:54 PM
There is definatly alot more to see and do in Vancouver then in Calgary. If you are in Banff you can always drive to Calgary then pick up a cheap flight back to Vancouver, that is the easiest thing to do. From there if you arn't tired of skiing you could head up to Whistler for the day on Greyhound or you could try Grouse Mountain which is only 10 mins from downtown and is a fantastic ski hill to visit.

Cheapest way to get to Seattle would be Greyhound and it is a really great city to visit. While you are in Vancouver I would highly recomend heading down to the float plane terminal and going on either a mail run in there beavers with Harbour Air or even just going up on a scenic flight, It is well worth it.

Vancouver airport also has some great spotting areas but are more easily accessed with a car and if you go for a drive to the south terminal there is a great pilots bar that overlooks the float terminal in richmond, nothing better then watching beavers and otters come in right in front of the place.

If you need anythin just shoot me a message, I seem to be over there more then I am here and I am actualy going over again in 6 weeks.

Gabriel S.
21st July 2008, 05:12 PM
Absolutely skip Calgary in favour of Vancouver. Both Vancouver city and Vancouver Island are lovely places which deserve a good amount of time to explore. Oh and unless you're on a backpacker's budget, you must hit up Raincity Grill in the city! :cool:

Banff is an amazingly beautiful part of the world, too. Get out and do some hiking, and visit the glaciers. Probably the best known is Athabasca Glacier - see it while it's still there! :(

I don't remember exactly how long the Banff-Vancouver drive was, but I do remember it being completely do-able, and a really scenic trip to boot.

Ryan N
21st July 2008, 06:18 PM
The distance between Banff and Vancouver is similar to Sydney and Melbourne, but it's not freeway conditions. If your budget allows, then the Rocky Mountaineer is worth considering. Also, bear in mind snow conditions may mean most of the roads will be closed. I've been to Canada twice, once in summer and once in winter. During the winter trip, we could only drive a few k's out of Banff before having to turn back because of the snow. I had hope to go to Jasper, which I managed to do during the summer trip.

Matthew Hogg
23rd July 2008, 07:00 PM
Wouldn't mind some info on Seattle if anyone has any recommendations.

Montague S
23rd July 2008, 07:21 PM
Seattle is fantastic too, I visited there in 2005 with Olivia and we had a ball, the Boeing tour out at the factory isn't really worth it in my opinion, you do see the line but its a very brief glimpse.

Pike Place Market is an absolute treat for food, coffee & beer & just gazing out over the ocean...we ripped that place a new one by the time we left, I really enjoyed my time there, as brief as it was, also, the bonus of being by the ocean helps.

the beauty about the west coast of the US is the fact that it gets better the further north you travel, start at SF & working your way up it starts feeling like your not even in the US at all...Fremont is an absolute must., Space Needle, Aviation museum..just use your legs and get a guide and you'll be sweet.

and from Seattle you can take the bus into Vancouver BC, not Vancouver OR, the one in BC is just about the most beautiful city I think I've ever visited...

lots to do in that part of the world.

Mick F
23rd July 2008, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the reply's. Looks like I'll give Calgary a miss (apart from flying to/from for Banff).

Cheers

Mick