PDA

View Full Version : 2008 RAAF Air show

Gerard M
24th July 2008, 07:22 PM
I'm planning on heading up to Amberley this year, (from syd) to the air show. From what i can see on the RAAF website there isnt much information on how to get there.
I was wondering whether anyone can shed some light as to how the best way or any ways for that matter on how to get there. Im presuming id fly into Brisbane. But whether there will be buses or is a car the best way to go?
Any help would be great as ive got to plan ahead due to uni and flights etc.
Thanks in advance.

Raymond Rowe
24th July 2008, 08:17 PM
I'm planning on heading up to Amberley this year, (from syd) to the air show. From what i can see on the RAAF website there isnt much information on how to get there.
I was wondering whether anyone can shed some light as to how the best way or any ways for that matter on how to get there. Im presuming id fly into Brisbane. But whether there will be buses or is a car the best way to go?
Any help would be great as ive got to plan ahead due to uni and flights etc.
Thanks in advance.

A car would be the best option.

Michael M
24th July 2008, 08:39 PM
I went up to the last airshow they had at Amberley a couple of years ago. I flew to Brisbane and stayed at a hotel and drove to Amberley in a hire car. All went very well. No traffic congestion and I parked only a short walk from the entrance to the base. I was considering taking the train but found the car a better alternative.

Greg McDonald
24th July 2008, 10:28 PM
Fly to Brisvegas, airrail to Roma Street station then train to Ipswich. That gets you to within a few Ks of Amberley. Not sure if they will be running public transport from Ipswich to Amberley but they normally do....ring the RAAF and ask.

ChrisG.
24th July 2008, 10:31 PM
What are the dates?

Greg McDonald
24th July 2008, 10:36 PM
4 - 5 October, 2008.

Gerard M
27th July 2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for that people. Another thing, does anyone know of some reasonably priced hotel or something around that area that won't be too far from the airport or Amberley?
Thanks again.

Gerard

Andrew McLaughlin
27th July 2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks for that people. Another thing, does anyone know of some reasonably priced hotel or something around that area that won't be too far from the airport or Amberley?
Thanks again.

Gerard

Reasonably priced hotel in Ipswich??? Aint no such thing unfortunately.

I'm booked at the Best Western Heritage which is, at best, a 2 Star Motel, but it's charging ~$175/night during the airshow.

Last week I stayed at the new Oaks Aspire Apartments in Ipswich. It was $99/night last week, but they're asking $300+ during the airshow!

Better to stay somewhere in the western suburbs of Brisvegas (Darra etc) and commute!

andrew evans
28th July 2008, 11:58 AM
i hope there is more international visitors then what is advertised on the web site.

Gerard M
6th August 2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks for thats Andrew. Still looking for somewhere to stay..:confused:

Any idea when you'll be able to buy tickets? It says that they will be avaliabe closer to the date?

Andrew McLaughlin
6th August 2008, 01:01 PM
Any idea when you'll be able to buy tickets? It says that they will be avaliabe closer to the date?

Just get them at the gate I guess. I doubt they'll sell out.

Beau Chenery
12th August 2008, 07:12 PM
You can buy your tickets online at Ticketek

Greg McDonald
7th September 2008, 04:04 PM
Is there any definitive list of aircraft that will be appearing at the airshow yet? At one stage there was a B52 showing on the airshow website but it appears it has been removed. How many are planning the trip up?

Andrew McLaughlin
7th September 2008, 04:28 PM
Is there any definitive list of aircraft that will be appearing at the airshow yet? At one stage there was a B52 showing on the airshow website but it appears it has been removed. How many are planning the trip up?

Any attendees would be subject to operational requirements Greg, so I doubt even the show organisers have a "definitive" list. That said, there will probably be some USAF participation on some level.

Just on the show, and if the mods will indulge me a shameless plug, the magazine will have a stand at the show with our October issue (F/A-18 & F-15 cover) at a special show price. Myself, Paul Sadler and Lee Ann Simm will be there, so anyone attending please drop by and say hi. :D

Cheers

Andrew

Tony G
7th September 2008, 10:00 PM

There is a C130 J model going up there. I was asked if i wanted to go up but my second love the motogp is on the same weekend :(and I committed to that before the airshow. I'll be watching Casey Stoner win at the Island:D.I hope. I will be back at work tomorrow, hopefully I can get some details to post that can be helpful.

S.Greaves
20th September 2008, 03:45 PM
Hi, does anyone know if any of the airlines have a charter running to the show from Sydney?

damien b
21st September 2008, 04:18 AM
Hi, does anyone know if any of the airlines have a charter running to the show from Sydney?

Jestar flies into Avalon daily from Sydney.

Micheil Keegan
21st September 2008, 05:21 AM
Good thing the airshow is at Amberly....

damien b
21st September 2008, 01:00 PM
woops -:o wrong airshow, just been reading the page on avalon before.

Gerard M
28th September 2008, 10:36 PM
Does anyone know whether the 707 will be making an appearance even though it is retired? I thought i heard somewhere that it was?

Gerard

Tony P
29th September 2008, 09:44 AM
Does anyone know whether the 707 will be making an appearance even though it is retired? I thought i heard somewhere that it was?

Gerard

Nope. 707 is kaput.

Greg McDonald
6th October 2008, 08:30 PM
Here's a couple of unedited shots from Sunday's show.

Mick.B
14th October 2008, 05:41 PM
Some shots from Amberley 08.
http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/mickbawden72/4568434.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/mickbawden72/4568405.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/mickbawden72/4568422.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/mickbawden72/4568178.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/mickbawden72/4568254.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr164/mickbawden72/4568235.jpg

Gerard M
2nd March 2009, 09:04 PM
It could be a tad on the early side, but i remember hearing somewhere can't remember where, that the 2009 RAAF airshow would be at Cairns or something like that.
Does anyone know when its going to be yet?

Thanks again

Gerard

Bob C
2nd March 2009, 09:42 PM
Seems odd to be at a civilian airfield rather than an RAAF Base.

Perhaps RAAF Townsville if it's being held in FNQ.

Gerard M
2nd March 2009, 09:45 PM
Yep sorry, i meant Townsville but my mind was elsewhere.

So, does anyone know whether its going to be held at Townsville this year?

Tony P
2nd March 2009, 10:06 PM
It was going to be Townsville but there is no Defence Force Show this year.

Gerard M
2nd March 2009, 10:10 PM
It was going to be Townsville but there is no Defence Force Show this year.

Thanks Tony.

Any particular reason why the decided not to?

Tony P
3rd March 2009, 07:30 AM
Apparently, Krudd and his bean counters. They may change their minds but that is a pretty big may. It would be nice to see a show up there.