PDA

View Full Version : Avalon Airshow March 10-15, 2009

Rhys Xanthis
25th July 2008, 11:50 PM
Thought i might start a thread as the dates have changed for the airshow from late March to early March 2009 due to the F1 GP changing dates. It is now 2 weeks prior to the F1, on March 10-15, 2009.

http://www.airshow.net.au/PDFs/AS2009-media-release-july7th.pdf

All the info is in that .pdf.

Cheers guys

Rhys

Tim Bowrey
26th July 2008, 05:36 PM
If i can drag one of my parents i will be deffinatly heading down!

Any ideas in what kind of aircraft will be expected there?

Tim

Lukas M
26th July 2008, 06:51 PM
Any ideas in what kind of aircraft will be expected there?
Well, just the usual I would say (C-130, Jets, and the odd A320 coming by)

There are pictures of the A380/ 787 on their homepage. We might see a QF A380, but mabye not:confused:

Brian Wilkes
26th July 2008, 07:27 PM
He we go again! Your just going to have to wait and see what if any decent aircraft flies in on the day! No one will know and no one will tell you untill you get there!

Just like every other show!

Gareth Forwood
30th July 2008, 11:24 PM
Does anyone know how much the tickets are, or if there are any sort of 'package deals' from Sydney?

Bob C
31st July 2008, 05:44 AM
No, but this could be a good starting point : http://www.airshow.net.au/

Lukas M
31st July 2008, 08:25 AM
If you are going, Jetstar are having a sale at the moment with fares only $49 SYD-AVV or BNE-AVV only $69 and its in the Airshow Date Period. Save and Book ahead

Need to click the link though
http://www.jetstar.com/au/en/cheap-flights/sales.html?o=jetmail&s=jm31072008

Matt N.
9th September 2008, 08:00 PM
Just doing a bit of research as I was thinking about going down for just the day (prob Sunday 15th). Has anyone done this in previous years- flying into Avalon on Jetstar, attending the show for the day and then flying home later that evening?

From Sydney there are two flights in the morning that look OK, getting there at 0730 or 0845. Return leg back to Sydney at 1620 or 1745 at the other end of the day.

In terms of logistics once you get there is it easy enough to get from the terminal to where the show entrance is? Is there a shuttle bus or something similiar?

Lukas M
9th September 2008, 08:03 PM
There was a shuttle bus last year that seemed to be non-stop taking people to and from the Terminal. I would allow extra time as its always choatic: people wise and traffic wise:mad:

Michael M
9th September 2008, 08:18 PM
Last airshow I flew down just for the day. It all worked very well. There is a shuttle bus which meets the incoming flight and a bus which is timed to get you back to the terminal for the flight home. Last time everything went very smoothly and I would recommend it.

David N
9th September 2008, 08:19 PM
G'day Matt

Those arrival times are fine, but if you could make your stay longer would be even better... on the last day you have an almost never ending departure of GA visiting A/C and Helicopters if that's what your into.

There is a bus that will pick you up and drop you off not far from the main gate.

Regards
David

Matt N.
9th September 2008, 10:44 PM
Guys thanks for the advice. I'm there!

Gareth Forwood
10th September 2008, 09:56 PM
Hi everyone,

Just got confirmation that tickets will be available from this Friday (12th September) from www.ticketmaster.com.au (http://www.ticketmaster.com.au)

A question for anyone who has been in the past - are the flying programs on the Saturday and Sunday fairly similar? Just don't know if it's worth going on all of the public days...

Gareth.

Craig Murray
10th September 2008, 10:11 PM
A question for anyone who has been in the past - are the flying programs on the Saturday and Sunday fairly similar?

If you pick up any official programme from the last 10 years or so you'll have the flying display pretty much covered. It hasn't changed.... provided you're happy with an RAAF and not USAF C-17?

The only thing worth going to Avalon to see is the GA and Rotary traffic at Avalon East..... it is supreme.

Infact I dare say the Wide Bay International Airshow is more "International" these days than the ADF display at Avalon.

Gareth Forwood
11th September 2008, 06:35 PM
If you pick up any official programme from the last 10 years or so you'll have the flying display pretty much covered.

Do you know where I can find one? I haven't been able to find anything through google...

Gareth.

Tony P
12th September 2008, 11:10 AM
I've got some since 2001. They are packed away at the moment. Let me know if interested and I could dig them out in the next few days (or weeks!). As mentioned above, pretty much the same display for the past couple of years. From memory I think they had the program on their website. Maybe contact them to see if they can get you a copy.

Craig Murray
12th September 2008, 12:16 PM
Do you know where I can find one?

Sorry I don't, but I must confess my reply was laden with sarcasm. I'm sure others will agree that for such a hyped up show nothing much seems to change year in year out. Ever since the Russians stopped coming the show has lost its appeal....... the biggest highlight in recent years was the A300 Beluga that visited in 2003.

1992 looks to have been a good year, SU-27, Kamov KA-32, Mil Mi 17, AN-124, Il-96, Grumman EA-6 Prowler plus many more.

1995 saw an Il-78, Il-76 Water Bomber, SU-27 again, F-4 Phantom, Dornier Alpha Jet, Il-96M plus a TU-204 attend.

Since then it has been pretty much the same show year after year. I understand our desolation on a world scale and understand that the show is also a sales event but if anything the show seems to be in serious decline and its location probably has something to do with it, Avalon is hardly enticing and the conditions there over the last few years have been woeful.

No doubt the star attraction next year will be the Qantastic A380 which will mark the aerodromes A380 debut will it not? Surprising given it is the host aerodrome for the Australian International Airshow :D

Roll on Amberley......

Rhys Xanthis
12th September 2008, 04:10 PM
I wont be going (for those who care:p), chosen to go to the Formula 1 GP 2 weeks later instead :)

Sarah C
12th September 2008, 05:21 PM
$300 for a two day Grandstand ticket nad $160 for one day is pretty expensive.

Steve Core
13th September 2008, 10:06 AM
AUSTRALIAN International Airshow leaders are deep in talks with NASA as they forge plans for a 2009 celebration of lunar exploration.

The March Avalon airshow will be world's first major airspace show to celebrate the 40th anniversary of man's landing on the moon.

"We'll be having displays, exhibits and hope to have special guests," Australian International Airshow chief executive Ian Honnery said.

"We've been in discussions with NASA about presentation of a major display. The discussions are well advanced but still subject to final approval.

"We're looking at bringing out to Australia people deeply and very significantly involved in the race for space."

Mr Honnery said a NASA edge would mesh naturally with the 2009 show theme Towards Tomorrow.

Tickets to the 2009 show are now on sale through Ticketmaster and Mr Honnery urged front-row fans to get in early for first-class gold passes offering reserved grandstand seats on the front runway.

The show will run from March 10 to 15 and be open to the public from March 13. Dates were shifted during June to avoid a clash with Melbourne's Australian Grand Prix.

Officials have heralded the ticket release by unveiling a fresh billboard on the Princes Freeway at Avalon.

Mr Honnery promised the 2009 show would again feature the latest and best of military hardware and many displays and amenities would be upgraded.

He said the Towards Tomorrow theme would include a major national forum and showcase of airspace careers.

The show delivers more than $22 million in economic flow-on for the Geelong region and more than $120 million to state coffers.

Geelong Advertiser - 13 SEP

Gareth Forwood
15th September 2008, 05:11 PM
$300 for a two day Grandstand ticket nad $160 for one day is pretty expensive.

Thank God Dad's paying for the tickets :p

Thanks for the help re: the daily program. I haven't been before so it should be a good weekend!!

Tony P
15th September 2008, 05:20 PM
"We'll be having displays, exhibits and hope to have special guests," Australian International Airshow chief executive Ian Honnery said.
Here we go!:confused:

"We're looking at bringing out to Australia people deeply and very significantly involved in the race for space."

I wonder who that could be? Any takers?

Tickets to the 2009 show are now on sale through Ticketmaster and Mr Honnery urged front-row fans to get in early for first-class gold passes offering reserved grandstand seats on the front runway.

Why would you want a front row seat? The rear row gives the better view. In the front you have Jo Public and fences in the way.

Where's the front runway? :eek:

Officials have heralded the ticket release by unveiling a fresh billboard on the Princes Freeway at Avalon.
:eek:

Mr Honnery promised the 2009 show would again feature the latest and best of military hardware and many displays and amenities would be upgraded.
Must of missed the latest and greatest in 2007. Superbug probably the oonly thing I can think of.

I'll always go but it needs to have a bit more variety.

Andrew McLaughlin
15th September 2008, 05:53 PM
Must of missed the latest and greatest in 2007. Superbug probably the oonly thing I can think of.

Superbug? :rolleyes:

Not to mention the C-27J, the C-17, the ARH Tiger, the CH-47 Chinook...all of which are currently in production, and all have either recently been introduced or soon will be selected for Australian service.

Some rumours I've heard for 09 include the RSAF Black Knights aero team (really worth seeing) and a B-2 flyby :eek:.

Avalon is what it is folks - they don't promise anything they can't deliver. It's a hard task being so far away from all the overseas action, and the exhibition is as good as any airshow in the world

Don't forget to drop by and say hello to us at the Australian Aviation stand in the exhibition hall.

Cheers

Andrew

Raymond Rowe
15th September 2008, 06:41 PM
You can always get oneof the best seats in the house.All you have to do is fill out a volunteer form and you could get plenty see plenty and costs you a bit of time.

Tony P
15th September 2008, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=Andrew McLaughlin;12489]Superbug? :rolleyes:

Some rumours I've heard for 09 include the RSAF Black Knights aero team (really worth seeing) and a B-2 flyby :eek:.

Willing to bet a case of beer the B2 will not show.:p

Shame on you for starting the rumours early!:D

Avalon is what it is folks - they don't promise anything they can't deliver.

A great airshow?:rolleyes:

Not knocking it, but there are plenty of shows that beat it. Tyabb, Defence force shows etc etc.

PS. I Wouldn't call a Chinook the latest and greatest!!

Tony G
18th September 2008, 05:52 PM
I guess Avalon is the biggest AIr show in Australia, it would be nice to have some more international vistors like the MIG aircraft and the B2 and others, but it is our only major one and I think its great.

If i could change anything it would be the ticketing. I like to the the Gold seat ( i can spoil myself once every two years) and enjoy it, i dont want to walk around or spend half the day out of my seat missing photo oppotunities checking out the displays and tents.
I think the displays are fantastic and the swag you can pick up from stands make me feel like a big kid. I reckon if you buy a gold pass for one day they should add in a GA ticket for the other day to walk around for a little extra cost instead of buying two tickets.

Gareth Forwood
19th September 2008, 09:53 AM
I reckon if you buy a gold pass for one day they should add in a GA ticket for the other day to walk around for a little extra cost instead of buying two tickets.

If you get the gold class ticket for the friday night show, you get access to the displays before the general public, and before any flying display. But apart from that, there isn't really much. Considering that a general entry pass is only $50, I don't see why they can't just add it on for free. Oh well...

Brendon I.
2nd February 2009, 06:30 PM
Does anyone know if Qantas is operating a charter flight down to the airshow this year. If so when do they usually start selling seats??

Lukas M
2nd February 2009, 06:56 PM
Does anyone know if Qantas is operating a charter flight down to the airshow this year??
No QF charter. You have only got Jetstar from SYD/BNE

Will T
26th February 2009, 02:22 PM
Qantas will have a 744 on display (and open for public inspection) on 15th March. As always, subject to change!

Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

Karl M
26th February 2009, 02:42 PM
Yes the 744 will be there on Sunday. Operating SYD-AVV-SYD.
They were offering seats to staff at a cost. Not sure if it is avail to public, but im sure it would be though.

Raymond Rowe
26th February 2009, 06:09 PM
The Beached Whale or Dugong will be there on the saturday morning from 8-12.

Stephen Brown
26th February 2009, 09:04 PM
Stop talking about yourself like that Ray...

Oliver Gigacz
27th February 2009, 03:29 PM
Sorry this will sound will what is the Beached Whale and the Dugong. I am very sleepy so dont ask why I am asking.

Torin Wilson
27th February 2009, 03:41 PM
I am very sleepy so dont ask why I am asking.

Finally allowed to set your own bedtime eh?

A380.

Oliver Gigacz
27th February 2009, 04:15 PM
Are they both A380s? And what about Sunday most people go on the Sunday not the Saturday.

MSellars
27th February 2009, 09:11 PM
The Beached Whale or Dugong will be there on the saturday morning from 8-12.

The terms "Beached Whale" & "Dugong" both refer to the same aircraft - the A380.

Bad Ray for confusing sleepy people!!

Oliver Gigacz
27th February 2009, 09:23 PM
Will it there Sunday?

Andi O
28th February 2009, 11:15 AM
No!:rolleyes:

Oliver Gigacz
28th February 2009, 11:38 AM
Source for Saturday? As why would it come Saturday Sunday has the most visitors.

Owen H
28th February 2009, 12:49 PM
It will be there when it is free to be there!

Airlines don't keep aircraft lying around... it has a schedule to operate.

It is quite fortunate that with the downturn there is sufficient spare capacity to take the 744 and the A380 at all. Last time the 744 was only there for 2 or 3 hours in the early morning... had to nick off to go operate a flight. Disappointing, but what do you do.

737 should be there as usual.

And Craig... don't think that the A380 has been to Amberley either ;)

The last couple of airshows were rather disapointing I thought... I hope that something interesting turns up this time.

Mick.B
2nd March 2009, 07:46 PM
MEDIA RELEASE
COMMERCIAL BIG GUNS FACE OFF AT THE AIRSHOW
Aviation enthusiasts will get to see two of the newest commercial big guns at this month’s
Australian International Airshow.
Qantas, and the country’s newest International carrier V Australia, will go head to head on
the tarmac at Avalon with their respective Airbus A380 and Boeing 777-300ER.
The Airbus A380 with its double deck, wide body and four engines is the largest passenger
airliner in the world. Qantas currently has three A380’s in service, with another 17 on order.
Virgin Blue’s International Arm, V Australia is the first Australian operator to receive an
Aircraft Operators Certificate for a Boeing 777-300ER. The 777’s inaugural commercial
flight to Los Angeles is scheduled for the end of February
Subject to operational change, the Qantas A380 will be on public display at Avalon 2009
from 8am on Saturday March 14th until approximately midday that day.
While the public won’t be able to see inside the aircraft, they will be able to experience the
enormous power of this giant carrier as it takes off from the flight line just metres away.
Qantas will have a 747-400 on display and open for public inspection on Sunday March 15th.
Virgin Blue’s new International star, V Airline’s, will have its new Boeing 777 wide body
open for viewing at selected times on both Friday and Saturday of the Airshow. Visitors will
be able to take a peak inside the next generation of long haul carrier.
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see both aircraft up close and personal on the
tarmac at Avalon Airport.

Craig Murray
2nd March 2009, 08:15 PM
This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see both aircraft up close and personal on the
tarmac at Avalon Airport.

Wow, no exaggeration at all by the promoters there huh? Where are all the other media releases pertaining to the other "big names" attracted to this years event? By all accounts it seems the ADF Airshow at Amberley had more appeal than Avalon.

Sorry guys, the location, the event and the attendees are just too "same same" to bother about anymore. The bulk of flying is in the afternoon and the airport layout means this has you staring into the sun to watch the action and lets face it after a long day with long queues and sun stroke setting in..... glaring at the sun is the last thing you want to do.

Stephen Brown
2nd March 2009, 08:41 PM
And the Super Hornets have been out at Williamtown for the past week practicing...

Who needs to go to Victoria?

Tony P
3rd March 2009, 07:18 AM
Source for Saturday? As why would it come Saturday Sunday has the most visitors.

Deary me Oliver. Maybe you should watch the Tigger & Pooh Super Slueths TV shows like my 2 year old. It has a song in it that goes "Now it's time to think think think, when you have a problem think think think.".

Gerard M
3rd March 2009, 05:01 PM
According to the latest edition of the Defence Force Newsletter, on display there will be

Caribou
C-130
C17
F/A18
King Air
Hawk
Orion
F-111 and
KC-30a Tanker

Gerard

NickN
4th March 2009, 09:08 AM
I have pulled the pin on going down for the airshow, heading off a week later to FNQ and then Lightning Ridge instead.

Just seems like a waste of a few days off work for stuff I can see in Sydney and Williamtown.

Oliver Gigacz
4th March 2009, 09:43 AM
KC-30 will be interesting is this the first show for a KC-30

Andrew McLaughlin
4th March 2009, 12:59 PM
KC-30 will be interesting is this the first show for a KC-30

No, it was displayed at Paris in 2007.

According to the latest edition of the Defence Force Newsletter, on display there will be

Caribou
C-130
C17
F/A18
King Air
Hawk
Orion
F-111 and
KC-30a Tanker

Gerard

Gerard - which "Defence Force Newsletter" was this in? The RAAF don't know anything about a KC-30A being there...

Gerard M
4th March 2009, 02:26 PM
Andrew, if you follow the link and go to page 2 in the small article called Air Show Tribute, next the the Caribou it gives a list of what they say will also be on display. I was simply quoting what they said.

http://digital.realviewtechnologies.com/?xml=defencenews_airforce.xml

Happy to be corrected of course.

Thanks

Gerard

Andrew McLaughlin
4th March 2009, 02:41 PM
Andrew, if you follow the link and go to page 2 in the small article called Air Show Tribute, next the the Caribou it gives a list of what they say will also be on display. I was simply quoting what they said.

http://digital.realviewtechnologies.com/?xml=defencenews_airforce.xml

Happy to be corrected of course.

Thanks

Gerard

Sorry - wasn't correcting you, just curious to know where it came from. The "Defence Force Newsletter" threw me, but now that I know it's 'Air Force News', I can track it.

Gerard M
4th March 2009, 02:47 PM
Sorry - wasn't correcting you, just curious to know where it came from. The "Defence Force Newsletter" threw me, but now that I know it's 'Air Force News', I can track it.

Its alright, it sounded pretty strange to me as well.
Forgot that it was called the Air Force newsletter because it comes to my inbox as Defence Force.

Gerard M
6th March 2009, 10:24 AM
On another forum they have said a USAF C-17, 05-5152 - Slew95, is going to Avalon, from Hickam via Richmond.
Does anyone know anymore about this and what time it will be passing through Richmond?
Cheers

Gerard

Oliver Gigacz
6th March 2009, 11:43 AM
Two F-16s, one F-15 and a KC-135 arrived around 1830 last night in Avalon.

Dan Hammond
6th March 2009, 11:53 AM
Thought this might be of interest to you guys.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au/article/2009/03/06/55371_news.html

WHO said humans can't fly?

Daredevil Eric Scott certainly thinks its possible, and he plans to show how at next week's Australian International Airshow at Avalon.

Strapped to a Go Fast Jet Pack, he will give crowds at this year's airshow a taste of how the next generation of aviation enthusiast might fly.

The human-piloted, high-tech, flying backpack, will be an integral part of the airshow's flying display.

The first jet pack was developed for the US Army in the 1960s by Bell Aerosystems.

A Denver entrepreneur has dug out the decades-old military jet pack design and improved on it with modern carbon fibre, aluminium alloys and other weight-saving materials.

The end result is this jet pack that can lift a pilot almost 80m off the ground and stay airborne for almost 40 seconds.

The jet pack flights will feature at the Australian International Airshow from next Friday to Sunday at Avalon Airport.

Gerard M
6th March 2009, 02:41 PM
Im guessing there will be some Super Pumas there? There is a formation of two heading to Wagga Wagga at the moment. Callsign Diamond.

AdamC
6th March 2009, 05:07 PM
Ok coming from another Forum ( dont' shoot the messenger), Someone is saying an Osprey coming to avalon, Don't want to start rumours but you never know.

Anyone down that way able to give and idea of what aircraft are there at the moment.

And don't worry your cotton sox the dancing squirrels are heading there on monday. For all those that were stressing about seeing them.

Cheers

Adam

Ryan Hothersall
6th March 2009, 09:08 PM
Three Singapore Air Force PC-21s came through Adelaide today heading for Avalon. I didn't see them come through so hoping to see them at Avalon.

phil.l
7th March 2009, 11:49 AM
Due into Essendon about 5pm is N550GA GV-550 probably going to Avalon.

Karl M
7th March 2009, 12:34 PM
Ok coming from another Forum ( dont' shoot the messenger), Someone is saying an Osprey coming to avalon, Don't want to start rumours but you never know.

Anyone down that way able to give and idea of what aircraft are there at the moment.

And don't worry your cotton sox the dancing squirrels are heading there on monday. For all those that were stressing about seeing them.

Cheers

Adam

Might have come in on the C-5 that was due in today.
I highly doubt it, but fingers crossed.

Gerard M
7th March 2009, 03:05 PM
Just have a question, i am deciding whether to go for a day or not and just looking at flights into Avalon, jetstar seem to have flights going in and out of "melbourne-avalon" all day? Is that right?

Kieran Wells
7th March 2009, 03:14 PM
Gerard,
it really depends on where you are going to avalon from..It seems the JQ flights from sydney leave at 6am or 10am. The 7am flight has sold out, unless you want to pay $235 for a one way ticket! Again the late flight out seems to have sold out on return.. They do have flights from other cities to Avalon, but it may be cheaper, to fly to tullamarine, and then public transport it out to Avalon.

Gerard M
7th March 2009, 03:19 PM
Gerard,
it really depends on where you are going to avalon from..It seems the JQ flights from sydney leave at 6am or 10am. The 7am flight has sold out, unless you want to pay $235 for a one way ticket! Again the late flight out seems to have sold out on return.. They do have flights from other cities to Avalon, but it may be cheaper, to fly to tullamarine, and then public transport it out to Avalon.

Thanks Kieran. I was looking to fly from Sydney probably as early as possible, and then stay the day, probably saturday and then fly back. Do you know what the public transport would be like getting from Tullamarine?

Lukas M
7th March 2009, 04:25 PM
Thanks Kieran. I was looking to fly from Sydney probably as early as possible, and then stay the day, probably saturday and then fly back. Do you know what the public transport would be like getting from Tullamarine?
No Direct bus between the two. Skybus it to Southern Cross Station, then get a Sunbus to Avalon Airport Direct. Will set you back prob $60~ return. Might miss your flight if the traffic is as bad as 07'

andrew evans
7th March 2009, 05:33 PM
Foxtel has rain for all three days at the moment.

Gerard M
7th March 2009, 05:35 PM
ABC news just had a report that the C-5 was actually bringing in fire retardant for the fires.

Does anyone know when it will be leaving or if it will be staying for the show?

Cheers

Gerard

Kieran Wells
7th March 2009, 06:15 PM
Hi Gerard, I agree with Lukas- as this is the way i would have done it. Originally when I was looking at going down, I worked it out to be about $400 for the day, but that was about 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately I can't go now due to some of my plane photos are in a competition on that day - the Blacktown Show. Also to spend $400 in one day, when I'm looking at a new camera in the next month or so seemed just a bit much. Hope you enjoy yourself if you get there.

Kieran

David Ramsay
7th March 2009, 07:09 PM
Skybus it to Southern Cross Station, then get a Sunbus to Avalon Airport Direct.

Skybus it to Southern Cross Station, take the train from Southern Cross to Lara and then catch the shuttle bus to Avalon. From memory last time, the trains leave every 20 minutes.

Tim Bowrey
7th March 2009, 07:44 PM
On another forum they have said a USAF C-17, 05-5152 - Slew95, is going to Avalon, from Hickam via Richmond.
Does anyone know anymore about this and what time it will be passing through Richmond?

USAF C-17 departed out from Richmond eastbound over the city and down the coast today about 2pm. Callsign was ".... 81" and climbed really slowly. Heading south via Wolongong so I would assume thats heading down to Avalon.

phil.l
7th March 2009, 08:19 PM
Can anyone down Avalon way provide a rego list of arrivals so far?

Scott S
7th March 2009, 08:26 PM
Cheers

Gerard

This one left Richmond around 2:45pm today, 07Mar, tracking south after took off.

Gerard M
7th March 2009, 08:53 PM
The B-1 was the one i heard as Ogre 2 - landed at Melbourne due to gear troubles and has subsequently blown a tire and is now disabled on the runway.

MELBOURNE TERMINAL INFORMATION PAPA

Approach: EXPECT ILS APPROACH
Runway: 27
Operational Info: RWY 16 CLSD DUE DISABLED ACFT
Wind: 160/5-15
Visibility: GREATER THAN 10 KM
Cloud: FEW 015, BROKEN 030
Temperature: 15
QNH: 1019

B1 has now been moved of 16 and is now on taxiway Kilo.

Malcolm Parker
8th March 2009, 11:04 AM
I am wondering if we will see the B1 Lancer at Avalon given the recent article.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25155593-29277,00.html

Oliver Gigacz
8th March 2009, 12:21 PM
So is the C-5 staying?

Mick.B
8th March 2009, 12:41 PM
Yes

Oliver Gigacz
8th March 2009, 12:46 PM
Great on static?

Mick.B
8th March 2009, 01:45 PM
Yes, open for everyone to walk thru.

Gerard M
8th March 2009, 05:25 PM
Hi Gerard, I agree with Lukas- as this is the way i would have done it. Originally when I was looking at going down, I worked it out to be about $400 for the day, but that was about 6 weeks ago. Unfortunately I can't go now due to some of my plane photos are in a competition on that day - the Blacktown Show. Also to spend $400 in one day, when I'm looking at a new camera in the next month or so seemed just a bit much. Hope you enjoy yourself if you get there.

Kieran

How hard would it be getting back from Avalon to Melbourne on the saturday night. I just looked on the jetstar website and all the late night flights out of avalon are sold out?

Mick.B
8th March 2009, 07:33 PM
Probably not that hard. Train from Lara to Southern Cross station, skybus out to Tulla. You wouldnt want it any ealier than 9pm flight out to be safe.

Gerard M
8th March 2009, 07:39 PM
Probably not that hard. Train from Lara to Southern Cross station, skybus out to Tulla. You wouldnt want it any ealier than 9pm flight out to be safe.

Thanks Mick. Am still looking into it all at the moment. I'd go just to walk through the galaxy. Last did that at Richmond in i think 95 when i was a wee little one!!!
Not sure whether to just spend the 400 for the two tickets going in and out of Avalon though.
Will the B-1, providing all the problems are fixed, fly in the dsplay on Sat or is it just going to fly on the friday?

Gerard

Mick.B
8th March 2009, 07:44 PM
Dont know Gerard. Im going down tomorow and Tuesday so I will get to talk to some of the Yanks and give as many updates here as early as I can. But Id think if they were flying the Saturday would almost be garanteed. Would be worth the money to come down. Remenber the 380 and 777 are both there on the Saturday.

Gerard M
8th March 2009, 07:44 PM
Dont know Gerard. Im going down tomorow and Tuesday so I will get to talk to some of the Yanks and give as many updates here as early as I can.

Thanks heaps for the help Mick.

MSellars
8th March 2009, 09:25 PM
There are two B1Bs in the flight. One has made it into YMAV the other as reported diverted to YMML Latest best info is one will fly (subject to change)

You should see the flat spot on the tire of the one in YMML!!

Tony P
9th March 2009, 03:11 PM
Vid of today's teaser flypast around Melbourne. Also a quick grab of the b1-b at Tullamarine.
http://aaeg.org.au/2009/03/09/melbourne-aviation-monday-9th-2009/

Gerard M
9th March 2009, 03:53 PM
Im now looking at going down on Sunday morning and leacving on the 8pm flight that night.
Will it still be worthwhile going and will the flying display be the same as previous days on the Sunday?

Thanks again
Gerard

Marty H
9th March 2009, 04:05 PM
B1-B departed MEL @ 16:50

Tracey S
9th March 2009, 05:01 PM
It will be a Qantas B747-438ER going to AVV on the Sunday. At this point in time it is scheduled to be VH-OEG.
Departing SYD 0630 QF1391, arrival AVV 0805.
Departing AVV 1545 QF1392, arrival SYD 1725.

Gerard M
9th March 2009, 05:08 PM
There is now a list up of the attending aircraft on the airshow website under the static displays.
I cant seem to see an Antonov on the list anywhere though?
Gerard

Tim Bowrey
9th March 2009, 05:52 PM
http://www.airshow.net.au/avalon2009/public-visitors/flying-display.html

phil.l
9th March 2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks for posting that Tim,you going down or anyone else?

Gerard M
9th March 2009, 09:00 PM
I've just booked tickets to fly down on Sunday.

Any word yet on whether the B-1 will be flying Sunday?

phil.l
9th March 2009, 09:13 PM
Any chance of doing a rego list?

MSellars
9th March 2009, 09:36 PM

Any word yet on whether the B-1 will be flying Sunday?

My understanding from the last tarmac briefing today is that it is scheduled to fly each day. From talking to the crew when they brought the flying display B1 from YMML to YMAV today was that they plan "to fly as much as possible". As with everything - subject to change.

MSellars
9th March 2009, 09:38 PM
There is now a list up of the attending aircraft on the airshow website under the static displays.
I cant seem to see an Antonov on the list anywhere though?
Gerard

No Antonov this year - sorry.

Gerard M
9th March 2009, 09:44 PM
My understanding from the last tarmac briefing today is that it is scheduled to fly each day. From talking to the crew when they brought the flying display B1 from YMML to YMAV today was that they plan "to fly as much as possible". As with everything - subject to change.

No Antonov this year - sorry.

Cheers MSellers, could have sworn there was talk some other place of an Antonov being there. Besides the C5 trumps an Antonov any day for me anyway :cool:

Gareth Forwood
10th March 2009, 10:20 AM
http://www.airshow.net.au/avalon2009/airshow/static-displays.html

At the bottom is a full list of the aircraft participating - note that not all a/c will be on static display.

Greg McDonald
10th March 2009, 11:02 AM

I bet you paid a pretty penny for the tickets at this late stage!!

Tim Bowrey
10th March 2009, 11:39 AM
Yeah I will be there Phil

Gerard M
10th March 2009, 01:19 PM
I bet you paid a pretty penny for the tickets at this late stage!!

Yep!! It was very last minute but i got a cheap one on the way down but had topay top dollar for the 8pm one from Avalon. I'm hoping that the B-1 hasnt flown by the time i get down there!!!

Benny Zheng
10th March 2009, 03:13 PM
Does anyone knows what time the A380 will land in Avalon? Friday night or Saturday morning?

Will H
10th March 2009, 04:47 PM
Further on the A380 discussion, I heard the A380 will only be on static display (no cabin walk-through). Anyone know otherwise?

Adrian B
10th March 2009, 06:37 PM
Notams mentions an Arrestor system in place for the airshow:

THR RWY 36 DISP 355M
DUE OBSTRUCTION IN RWY STRIP 2FT IN HGT 205M FM START OF TORA RWY 36.
BAC 12 ACFT ARRESTING SYSTEM INSTALLED.
TEMPORARY ARRESTOR CABLE WILL BE RIGGED FOR ALL AIRSHOW FIGHTER OPS.
CIVIL ACFT NOT CLEARED TO TRAMPLE ARRESTOR CABLE WHEN RIGGED.
TEMPORARY PAPI INSTALLED FOR DISPLACED THR
FROM 03 052100 TO 03 180100

Mick.B
10th March 2009, 06:49 PM
Talking to the B-1 crew today and they confirmed they are planning to fly every day. Awsome sight today,

Gerard M
10th March 2009, 06:52 PM
Talking to the B-1 crew today and they confirmed they are planning to fly every day. Awsome sight today,

That just made my week Mick!! Thanks.
But I'm going to really push my luck and ask do you know if they are going to be flying in the middle of the flying display or end? Hopefully not the beginning because my flight doesn't get me there until 11!!!!

Thanks

Gerard

Karl M
10th March 2009, 07:04 PM
Further on the A380 discussion, I heard the A380 will only be on static display (no cabin walk-through). Anyone know otherwise?

I read somewhere only arriving on Sat morning & then departing around noon.

Anyway no Walk Through. Static only.

Raymond Rowe
10th March 2009, 07:11 PM
I read somewhere only arriving on Sat morning & then departing around noon.

Anyway no Walk Through. Static only.

Arrives at 0800 departs at 1200.The B1 display is great and nice and loud

Mick.B
10th March 2009, 07:24 PM
I reckon you would be pretty safe Gerard after 11am. I've put some photos up on the other forum of today's display. See

http://www.jetspotter.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9480&start=420

Hope you like them.

Gerard M
10th March 2009, 07:26 PM
I reckon you would be pretty safe Gerard after 11am. I've put some photos up on the other forum of today's display. See

http://www.jetspotter.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9480&start=420

Hope you like them.

Thanks heaps again Mick
Just saw those photos when you put them up there. Great shots!! Love the one of "Symphony of Destruction"!!!

MSellars
10th March 2009, 10:17 PM
Looking at the flying display program runsheet it appears as if the B1B is not flying tomorrow. I am not aware of any tech fault.

Gerard M
10th March 2009, 10:24 PM
Looking at the flying display program runsheet it appears as if the B1B is not flying tomorrow. I am not aware of any tech fault.

Are you able to tell me, even in general terms, what time the B-1 is meant to be flying on the Sunday at all?

Sarah C
11th March 2009, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the updates everyone - keep them coming!

Tracey S
11th March 2009, 09:36 AM
The A380 will be VH-OQA.
Departs SYD as QF6165 at 0630.
Return flight will be QF6166 arriving back in SYD at 1340.

Dan Hammond
11th March 2009, 10:19 AM
So my guess would be that that afternoon OQA is either operating QF11 or QF31?

James B
11th March 2009, 12:10 PM
So my guess would be that that afternoon OQA is either operating QF11 or QF31?

QF 31 at this stage

Kurt A
11th March 2009, 01:32 PM
Some info re VH-VOZ, V-Australia's 1st 777 which landed at Avalon yesterday.

“Didgeree Blue” flew into Avalon yesterday and will be positioned on static display for the duration of the show. However, people attending the show will able to take a walk inside the superb new aircraft and have a look at the future of long-haul aviation at selected times on Friday, 13 March, and Saturday, 14 March.

On Friday, 13 March, the brand new B777-300ER will be open for internal inspection between 11.00am and 2.00pm and again from 4.00pm and 7.00pm. On Saturday, 14 March, “Didgeree Blue” will be open for internal inspection from 10.00am until 1.00pm and then again from 2.00pm until 5.00pm.

Karl M
11th March 2009, 01:54 PM
Here are some of my pics from yesterday.

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo158/karl_mathews/20090310_6579.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo158/karl_mathews/20090310_6679.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo158/karl_mathews/20090310_6710.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo158/karl_mathews/20090310_6917.jpg

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo158/karl_mathews/20090310_6940.jpg

andrew evans
11th March 2009, 08:58 PM
Has the KC-30a tanker made an appearance yet.

Mick.B
11th March 2009, 10:43 PM
Got in yesterday afternoon.

andrew evans
12th March 2009, 05:44 AM
Thank you

Sarah C
12th March 2009, 09:41 AM
Another shameless plug - don't forget to read the Australian Aviation Daily from the Airshow. Back issues can be viewed here as well - great read! :)

http://www.ausaviation.com.au/avalondaily/index.htm

Nigel C
12th March 2009, 10:32 AM
Just a heads up for those going there this afternoon, Connie VH-EAG has just departed for Avalon.
I can literally still hear the sound of round as she disappears over the escarpment as I type this.

Tony P
12th March 2009, 12:37 PM
Another shameless plug - don't forget to read the Australian Aviation Daily from the Airshow. Back issues can be viewed here as well - great read! :)

http://www.ausaviation.com.au/avalondaily/index.htm

Needed more advertisements...:D

Bob C
12th March 2009, 02:33 PM
Hi Mick B

According to several of my friends who have been spotters for many, many years and are at the Show for the duration, the RAAF's KC-30A (KC30B ?) was definitely NOT there on Wednesday and is unlikely to appear.

Perhaps you may have been confused by the Omega DC10 tanker which is supporting the F/A18Fs. I understand that is on static display.

Mick.B
12th March 2009, 04:20 PM
Sorry Bob your 100% correct. Year I though you meant the DC-10 that arrived. I was there today and I did not see the KC-30

Ray P.
12th March 2009, 07:43 PM
Here's some pics from yesterday:

Ray P.
12th March 2009, 07:45 PM

Ray P.
12th March 2009, 07:46 PM

Ray P.
12th March 2009, 07:48 PM

Ray P.
12th March 2009, 07:51 PM
The highlight of the day was getting a personalised tour inside the Wedgetail AEW&C. Unfortunately, I was caught up with too much work stuff. I'll be heading back on Sunday with my three boys, they are really looking forward to it.

Tim Bowrey
12th March 2009, 08:20 PM
Great photos Ray. Where abouts did you get EBU? I have an idea of where it is parked but is it in any good viewing for a decent photo? I REALLYY want to get some sort of photo of her.

Mick.B
12th March 2009, 08:32 PM
You can get some ok shots from Beach Rd. It is parked on the Eastern side of the hangers up the North end. Cant get real close though.

Gerard M
12th March 2009, 09:18 PM
Great shots Ray!! Are they scaled down sized images? Do you have a full size one of the C-5 and the KC-135 that you could post, love that one!!!

From those pics of the C-5 it doesn't look like its in a position so that it can open up and let people walk through it. Sure its going to be open??? It could also just be the way that im looking at the photo and its angle of course.

Joseph Saragozza.
13th March 2009, 09:29 AM
great shots guys.

the RNZAF 757 looks to be open for viewing will this be avaliable on the public days?

what other aircraft will be avaliable?
sorry to be a pain.

Gerard M
13th March 2009, 09:40 PM
And the verdict for tonight is???

Tony P
13th March 2009, 09:55 PM
Good until the scud came over and cancelled most of the flying around 8pm. Left just in time!
Anyway, here is a quick video of BONE 1.
http://aaeg.org.au/2009/03/13/bone-1/

Gerard M
13th March 2009, 10:27 PM
Good until the scud came over and cancelled most of the flying around 8pm. Left just in time!
Anyway, here is a quick video of BONE 1.
http://aaeg.org.au/2009/03/13/bone-1/

Nice video. I'b be happy to see that high quality one if you want to upload it onto the website. ;)

Greg McDonald
13th March 2009, 11:09 PM
Man...they dropped that thing on the runway pretty heavy!!!!!

BernieL
14th March 2009, 03:22 PM
Wow, that was pretty depressing. I have to say I spent most of my time hiding under various wings rather than taking pictures. I sure hope tomorrow is better.

Gerard M
14th March 2009, 03:27 PM
Wow, that was pretty depressing. I have to say I spent most of my time hiding under various wings rather than taking pictures. I sure hope tomorrow is better.

How was the flying display with the weather and everything?

BernieL
14th March 2009, 05:08 PM
How was the flying display with the weather and everything?

Abbreviated and disappointing. You could watch the flights, to an extent, but photography was out of the question.

Dan Hammond
14th March 2009, 08:31 PM
Anyone know as to which QF 744 will be at Avalon tomorrow?

Craig Murray
14th March 2009, 08:52 PM
At this point in time it is scheduled to be VH-OEG

This info was posted a few days back and may have changed. Regardless, it will be a Qantas 747-400 of some description.

Dan Hammond
15th March 2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks Craig, i must remember to read back before i ask :D

Craig Murray
15th March 2009, 08:23 AM
Indeed it was OEG that operated down to Avalon today.

And sadly for those attending the weather appears to involve intermittent showers this morning. Hope things clear up and that the day is a success.

Craig Murray
15th March 2009, 02:07 PM
Rain again appears to be falling at Avalon according to the current Melbourne radar snapshot. Of more concern is the "apparent" temperature right now...

5.7 degrees (actual temp is 13.0) and 20kt WSW winds.

Tim Bowrey
15th March 2009, 04:38 PM
Does anyknow know the C/n's of these RAAF F/A-18's:

A21-9

A21-4

A21-12

&

A21-7

Cheers

Stephen Brown
15th March 2009, 05:08 PM
Tim,

The best place for Mil Serials is...

http://www.scramble.nl/milbase.htm

Select Australian Air Force, type in the reg and bobs your mother....

Nathan Long
15th March 2009, 05:41 PM
http://www.adf-serials.com/

Bob C
15th March 2009, 05:43 PM
A21-4 c/n 263
A21-7 c/n 292
A21-9 c/n 316
A21-12 c/n 339

Dan Hammond
15th March 2009, 07:15 PM
Well as Craig said it was OEG that was at Avalon today. We went for a walk on board and to me it was rather a let down, as it was only a tour through the main deck. There was no public access to the upper deck or flight deck visits, Out of V Australia's tour and Qantas tour i must say V Australia's was the better one.

Joseph Saragozza.
15th March 2009, 07:43 PM
We went for a walk on board and to me it was rather a let down, as it was only a tour through the main deck. There was no public access to the upper deck or flight deck visits, Out of V Australia's tour and Qantas tour i must say V Australia's was the better one.

really dan?
i enjoyed it. yes we couldn't go to the upper deck but i still liked how we were able to go through all four classes.
i carnt say much for V Australia's because it was closed due to weather yesterday and wasn't open for viewing today.

Anthony J
15th March 2009, 07:51 PM
Well as Craig said it was OEG that was at Avalon today. We went for a walk on board and to me it was rather a let down, as it was only a tour through the main deck. There was no public access to the upper deck or flight deck visits, Out of V Australia's tour and Qantas tour i must say V Australia's was the better one.

It is very difficult to 'circulate' visitors up the single stairway to the upper deck.

Rhys Xanthis
15th March 2009, 08:41 PM
It is very difficult to 'circulate' visitors up the single stairway to the upper deck.

Exactly my thoughts!

Gerard M
15th March 2009, 10:28 PM
Well, overall i was semi-impressed. Sure wasn't great in the flying display area. And i was in the worst mood to begin with due to jetstars LACK of customer service. After nearly a two hour delay and no information from anyone, the pilot finally told us that we "should" have been informed the fact that storms last night prevented them from bringing the plane in to Syd last night. No-one could tell me anything and not even an apology. I can understand the delay and don't have a problem with that, but its the customer srvice that i was apauled at.
Anyhow probably the highlight was the C-5, sheltering the gale behind a C-17 and well thats about it really. :)

Sarah C
16th March 2009, 08:56 AM
I think the weather has a big impact on the whole show. Yesterday had everything - the wind is liveable (but impacts the flying displays) but the rain was still the biggest problem. My only criticism is they still don't have enough shelter - when it rained, everyone ran for the Expo because that was the only undercover area.

As for the walkthroughs, the mud itself would have really been a big problem. The amount that was walked through VH-OEG itself would have been fun to clean. I am just grateful that the airlines brought their aircraft down to a show - it doesn't make money sitting on the ground.

Overall I really enjoyed it.

Marty H
16th March 2009, 11:15 AM
Marty, when using the quote function, please only quote the relevant text, and definitely do not requote the image unless it is vital to your post and is on a previous page. This makes the board easier to read and much faster to load. -mod

Nathan Long
18th March 2009, 06:30 PM
I heard a rumor that an Australian Aviation staff member went up for a fly in the Super Hornet. Was it you Andrew?

Johnathon Neilsen
18th March 2009, 08:27 PM

Not unless they did a 10 at a time sort of thing like the V AUstralia 777 did on Friday. They only let certain amount of people on then let more in once the others were leaving. Very effiecent I believe.

Andrew McLaughlin
18th March 2009, 09:02 PM
I heard a rumor that an Australian Aviation staff member went up for a fly in the Super Hornet. Was it you Andrew?

**sigh** I wish Nathan. Alas, I had my one and only fast jet ride some years ago, so this time it was Gerard's turn.

It almost didn't happen - he was suited up, fully briefed and strapped in at 0900 when the jet broke - the only time either of the two jets has broken during their six week long 'world tour' so far! Luckily he got a second chance when he rode in Ricardo's 'primary' jet after the flying was finished for the day.

Said he felt six inches shorter but 10 feet taller afterwards, and had a dopey grin on his mug for the next three days! :D

Nathan Long
19th March 2009, 09:26 AM
Better luck next time Andrew... :)

Andrew McLaughlin
20th March 2009, 08:34 AM
Here's the best of a pretty ordinary lot from me - All taken on Friday.
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/757_NZ_AVALON09_AMcL_4_small.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/CARIBOU_AVALON09_AMcL_small.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/F-111_AVALON09_AMcL_2_small.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/ELVIS_AVALON09_AMcL_small.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/PURPLE_COBRAS_AVALON09_AMcL_2_small.jpg

Andrew McLaughlin
20th March 2009, 08:35 AM
Can you tell I like Hornets?!!?!

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/ACKO_AVALON09_AMcL_1_small.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/ACKO_AVALON09_AMcL_3_small.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/RICARDO_AVALON09_AMcL_small.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/RICARDO_AVALON09_AMcL_2_small.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/RICARDO_AVALON09_AMcL_4_small.jpg
http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p402/Magoodotcom/RICARDO_AVALON09_AMcL_5_small.jpg