PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Airport

Bob C
27th July 2008, 07:48 PM
Changi Airport's Terminal 3 was officially opened on 25 July and the airport's site boasts that :

"......As at 1 July 2008, there are 79 airlines operating over 4,400 weekly scheduled flights at Changi Airport, connecting Singapore to 189 cities in 59 countries."

79 airlines ????????

If you exclude code sharing and freight airlines (some of which are subsidiaries of Singapore, Cathay etc), the best I can get is 50 airlines actually touching down at Changi.

Are they being a bit cheeky with their figures and not telling it like it really is ? I may have missed a couple but I doubt I could miss 29.

Using the same criteria, Sydney has 38 International airlines.

Rhys Xanthis
27th July 2008, 08:03 PM
I count a good 75-76 on this list

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changi_International_Airport#Destinations_by_airli nes

To be taken with a grain of salt of course;)

Bob C
27th July 2008, 10:22 PM
For goodness sake Rhys, please read the initial post !

I excluded freight airlines and the list you linked to has the introduction :

"The following lists the current and former airlines operating from the airport. Former users of the airport are in grey and italics."

NOTE !!!! FORMER USERS OF THE AIRPORT ARE IN GREY AND ITALICS !!!!!!

Please go back and count those NOT in grey or italics or better still go to the Changi site and research the arrivals and departures over a weekly period (like I did) and then you will get a better idea of what is happening !!!

PS Don't forget to exclude the code sharing !!!!

Grahame Hutchison
27th July 2008, 10:46 PM
A bit odd to officially open Terminal 3 on July 25th, it looked to be operating fairly well when I passed through in early May on my way to and from Beijing.

See trip report. (http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=701)

Rhys Xanthis
27th July 2008, 11:44 PM
For goodness sake Rhys, please read the initial post !

I excluded freight airlines and the list you linked to has the introduction :

"The following lists the current and former airlines operating from the airport. Former users of the airport are in grey and italics."

NOTE !!!! FORMER USERS OF THE AIRPORT ARE IN GREY AND ITALICS !!!!!!

Please go back and count those NOT in grey or italics or better still go to the Changi site and research the arrivals and departures over a weekly period (like I did) and then you will get a better idea of what is happening !!!

PS Don't forget to exclude the code sharing !!!!

1) I did NOT count the grey airlines because i knew they do not service the airport.

2) I counted the freight airlines on purpose - but i neglected to mention in my post i did this to see how many airlines in total flew in and out of Changi (roughly) freight included, to see how the airport operators numbers stacked up. Apologies for not mentioning in my OP.

Rhys

Bob C
28th July 2008, 12:19 AM
Hi Grahame

I thought it somewhat odd as well but that's what the site says. I guees they really wanted to bed down the operation.

Grant Smith
28th July 2008, 03:27 AM
Hi Grahame

I thought it somewhat odd as well but that's what the site says. I guees they really wanted to bed down the operation.

Probably didn't want a repeat of Heathrow's T5 ;)

John R
28th July 2008, 05:35 PM
Seemed to be fine at 3-30 yesterday when I was walking through it ;-)

Tomorrow I'll be at Terminal 2 then next week doing a quick run between 2 and 3 to get my flight back to Brissy