PDA

View Full Version : Eight die in plane crash during storm.

Greg McDonald
1st August 2008, 03:11 PM
From news.com.au:

A SMALL business jet crashed near an airport in southern Minnesota overnight, killing eight people on board.

The victims were customers of an architectural glass company who had been heading to Owatonna, a town south of Minneapolis where the company is headquartered, said the firm, Viracon.

A spokesman for the Minnesota Department of Public Safety said seven were killed on impact and an eighth died in a hospital.

He said there was confusion over how many people were on the jet and that there may have been a ninth victim.

The plane was a Hawker 800 jet operating as East Coast Jets Flight 81. It had left Atlantic City, New Jersey, earlier in the day, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

The charter operator's website said the aircraft can carry eight passengers.

It crashed near a runway at the airport close to Owatonna.

Local media reports said heavy thunderstorms and high winds were sweeping the region at the time.

A spokeswoman for Viracon said those on the plane had been set to attend a meeting at its offices, and that no one on the plane worked for the company.

Viracon was recently awarded a contract to supply architectural glass for New York's new Freedom Tower on the World Trade Centre site.

David Knudsen
1st August 2008, 07:58 PM
From www.aviation-safety.net

Date: 31 JUL 2008
Time: ca 09:45
Type: British Aerospace BAe-125-800A
Operator: East Coast Jets
C/n / msn: 258186
First flight: 1990
Engines: 2 Garrett TFE731-5R-1H
Crew: Fatalities: 2 / Occupants: 2
Passengers: Fatalities: 6 / Occupants: 6
Total: Fatalities: 8 / Occupants: 8
Airplane damage: Written off
Airplane fate: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location: Owatonna Airport, MN (OWA) (United States of America)
Phase: Approach (APR)
Nature: Executive
Departure airport: Atlantic City International Airport, NJ (ACY/KACY), United States of America
Destination airport: Owatonna Airport, MN (OWA/KOWA), United States of America
Flightnumber: 81
Narrative:
East Coast Jets Flight 81, a BAe 125-800, departed Atlantic City (ACY) at 08:13 EDT on a flight to Owatonna (OWA). According to the FAA the airplane was cleared for an approach to runway 30. The airplane came down 2400 feet past the runway end and cut a swath through a corn field.
The Steele County sheriff reported seven people dead, one hurt and two more unaccounted for.
Weather at Owatonna at 09:55 included: wind 170 degrees at 6 knots, broken clouds at 3700 feet, temperature 19 degrees C, pressure 29.83.

Philip Argy
1st August 2008, 09:58 PM
Does this describe storm conditions?

wind 170 degrees at 6 knots, broken clouds at 3700 feet, temperature 19 degrees C, pressure 29.83

Dave Powell
2nd August 2008, 08:51 PM
Condolences the families of all involved - the Hawker 800 has a very good safety record.

Scott Lindsell
3rd August 2008, 02:50 PM
Does this describe storm conditions?

I believe conditions were a great deal worse prior to the accident and on the improve. I believe the 'look' of the storm had passed.

Agreed though the Hawker 800 has a wonderful safety record. :(

Philip Argy
3rd August 2008, 06:30 PM
The weather report I quoted was 10 mins after the accident. Could it have cleared up that dramatically?

Scott Lindsell
4th August 2008, 03:37 PM
The weather report I quoted was 10 mins after the accident. Could it have cleared up that dramatically?

Phil,
Not that I was there but I've read on several chat groups it passed through and left real quick. All second hand info but we'll have to wait for the official reports I guess.
S.

Nigel C
4th August 2008, 07:30 PM

Have a look at the next summer storm that comes through Sydney. Chances are that it seems to approach slowly, and then it does clear rather fast.

NickN
5th August 2008, 09:09 AM
There have been instances at YSSY where massive storms have passed either end of the field and not directly affected the field itself. Last summer a real corker passed north of the field and shrouded the entire 16R/16L glidepath in pitch darkness with rain and lightning yet the runways were dry and sunny.

It definately happens.