PDA

View Full Version : YSSY Radar broadcast online?

NickN
4th August 2008, 06:59 PM
I was searching around today to try and find a live broadcast for a Sydney radar but had trouble locating one that is active. Does anybody have a link to a site that broadcasts live radar?

I saw first hand on the weekend one of those Kinetic Avionics SBS transponders linked to a laptop tracking real-time but haven't found anybody sending that data live to the web for the public to view.

Rhys Xanthis
4th August 2008, 07:32 PM
There is the 16right.com acars google maps, but its not as good as a radar would be.

Incidentally...

QF don't seem too worried about fuel prices:p

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e324/rhysxanthis/lolqf.jpg

David C
4th August 2008, 07:32 PM
There is a site called Planeplotter that broadcasts via the web real time radar returns . It can be found at http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm..

Here is a screen shot taken just a few minutes ago of the YSSY area . Not very busy though .

http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/2626/08042008193502po9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Dave C

Grahame Hutchison
4th August 2008, 08:27 PM
Hi Rhys, now and then the ACARS transmissions are corrupted by weather conditions etc. and an aircraft appears in strange locations.

This example would be a great flight from Sydney to Brisbane at 500ft.

Rhys Xanthis
4th August 2008, 09:05 PM
Hi Rhys, now and then the ACARS transmissions are corrupted by weather conditions etc. and an aircraft appears in strange locations.

This example would be a great flight from Sydney to Brisbane at 500ft.

Thanks for the clarification Grahame :)

NickN
5th August 2008, 09:12 AM
Planeplotter is exactly what I am after. It will do until I can spare the $1,000 to buy my own transponder from Kinetics.

David C
5th August 2008, 09:38 AM
Glad I could be of help... Planeplotter is fantastic , I guarantee that you won't bother spending your $1000 when you can fully use PP . Enjoy ..

Dave C

NickN
5th August 2008, 12:05 PM
I am just trying to get my head around how to get Planeplotter to work. Not quite sure where to start........ I think I need to download maps of Sydney etc and I have no clue to to connect it to an online source. Lots of reading coming my way.

Noel White
5th August 2008, 02:29 PM
Hello NickN, the Kinetic SBS-1 unit processes the ADS-B and ModeS radio transmissions from those aircraft so equipped and places the info into a Kinetic software program called BaseStation. BaseStation then displays the aircraft's position, altitude, direction and speed on an outline of the area of your interest. You can download or draw up outlines and waypoints to suit your own needs. Theres are a number of SBS-1 users located around Australia who, I'm sure, will be willing to help you out with maps of your area.

PlanePlotter is a separate program that takes that same info from the SBS-1 and again displays the information on a satellite image or Google Earth. There is no real advantage running BaseStation along side PlanePlotter because you see the same details. However, what is so great about PlanePlotter that you can share your plots with other sharers around the world and in turn see their plots.

While the SBS-1 unit is not cheap, BaseStation is free and is under further development with many add-on program which makes it a fascinating hobby. PlanePlotter costs a one off fee of 25 Euros and the developer, an Australian, working from Portugal is constantly updating the program 2 to 3 times a month.

There are group of Australian PP sharers feeding their plots covering the populated areas from far North Queensland right around the coast (including Tassie) all the way to Perth. Depending on their locations and how high their antennas are, could have a range as good as 200nm. The ADS-B transmissions are in the 1090Mhz band and are very line of sight so hills, trees buildings etc., tend to block some of the data.

So if you don't want to part with your hard earned dollars for a SBS unit, you only need to download PlanePlotter, pay your licence fee and watch the world's sky open up from of the comfort of your lounge room.

NickN
5th August 2008, 07:54 PM
Noel awesome info!!

I am just trying to figure out how to get my PlanePlotter to receive other peoples data relays and get the right maps set up.

Jason Carruthers
5th August 2008, 08:29 PM
Hmmmm

From the screenshot provided by David C does anyone else wonder what VYH is doing at FL450 near YSSY on a LAX-HNL flight. :p

Nigel C
6th August 2008, 07:19 AM
Trying to work out where the next fuel stop is...;)

David C
6th August 2008, 08:53 AM
Hmmmm

From the screenshot provided by David C does anyone else wonder what VYH is doing at FL450 near YSSY on a LAX-HNL flight. :p

:):)... Yes looks like FL450 , but it was actually FL150 and decending . We have to thank the poor quality of the screen shot for that !! ... As for the LAX-HNL routing , well that seems to be a quirk in the system , it's a very common occurance .

Dave C

Noel White
6th August 2008, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE I am just trying to figure out how to get my PlanePlotter to receive other peoples data QUOTE]

Nick, unfortunately you have to pay the 25 Euros to be able to do that. The fee gives you access to the COAA server and the key to the front door. BTW if you are into ACARS you can use PlanePlotter to process your own ACARS data. What I didn't mention before, is that PP also works with AirNav's RadarBox as well as the Kinetic SBS box to process the ADS-B info.

There is a very active PlanePlotter forum that can be more than helpful if you want to know the finer details. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/planeplotter/

Rhys Xanthis
6th August 2008, 06:22 PM
So with the COAA server, there is other peoples data from just about anywhere in Australia as well as some other countries?

Rhys

David Wilkie
6th August 2008, 06:39 PM
The green areas are the areas covered by PP at the moment

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff273/ypadacars/pp2-1.jpg

Rhys Xanthis
6th August 2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks heaps David!

Looks like Perth is well covered!

I might have to buy planeplotter on friday arvo!

Is there a guide or is it pretty easy to connect to other peoples feeds?

NickN
6th August 2008, 06:44 PM
I just got PlanePlotter up and running full scale today and its awesome. I have the map for SE Australia which is basically VIC, NSW and SE QLD lots of traffic to view.

David Wilkie
6th August 2008, 06:56 PM
Perth is well covered but i think there is only one person sharing so it's
not always up.

Rhys Xanthis
6th August 2008, 07:10 PM
Perth is well covered but i think there is only one person sharing so it's
not always up.

Oh well, i can always look elsewhere! Theres a whole world out there;)

NickN
7th August 2008, 08:45 AM
Rhys,

For the small price for the program it would still be worth having. If Perth goes offline you have the entire eastern seaboard to gawk at.

NickN
7th August 2008, 09:11 AM
Here is one from this morning.....

Dave Parer
7th August 2008, 11:24 AM
Here is what Oz looks like now at 11am. I provide one of the feeds for North Qld from Townsville.

By the way, anyone out there living in Darwin that wants to part with $1,000? Having coverage in DRW would complete our Aussie coverage as watching traffic in & out and the internationals flying over Darwin would be great to watch.

Dave Parer
7th August 2008, 11:36 AM
Here is hopefully a better pic, my last pic seems too small.

NickN
7th August 2008, 02:04 PM
I just noticed a Korean B744F reg HL-7600 which appears to be on climbout from Sydney f/n KAL581. Does this regularly come to Sydney?

NickN
7th August 2008, 02:08 PM
Also noticed this one....

Reg A32-439
Flight No. RDBK39
A/craft type BE35

Currently tracking 002 at FL250

Any ideas? Obviously military?

Nigel C
7th August 2008, 02:32 PM
Army Kingair 350

Michael Mak
7th August 2008, 02:48 PM
Can someone please confirm this before I make €25 purchase.

I downloaded PlanePlotter and at the moment I do not have my own transponder. From what I have read previously, if I pay for PlanePlotter, I'd have access to the server which allows me to access other people's data without the need of my own equipment?

NickN
7th August 2008, 03:59 PM
Michael that is correct, once you register you can receive other peoples data from the PLanePlotter server which is what I do... Hope you enjoy.

NickN
7th August 2008, 04:00 PM
And just out of curiosity, QF 752 VH-VYL performed this 360 degree loop prior to continuing into Sydney, anybody know why?

Noel White
7th August 2008, 05:05 PM
Nick, most likely put into a holding pattern due to a line of thunderstorms passing thru Sydney at that time and a need for a bit more ATC separation due other traffic.

Noel White
7th August 2008, 05:13 PM
Nick, BTW my PlanePlotter sharer's code is (eW) and from my location in Sydney have coverage beyond CBR almost to the Vic border but not so great in other directions due to terrain.

Dave Parer
7th August 2008, 05:15 PM
Nick,
I actually have another of the Army Kingair's on it's way into Townsville now. A32-437 which I am tracking on my SBS radar.
Cheers,
Dave.

NickN
7th August 2008, 07:46 PM
Awesome stuff Noel, I don't know how to separate individual signal senders but appreciate having you guys around so we can keep our eyes on the airspace!

Do you guys know of any good calibrated maps for eastern australia? I have some from www.mantma.co.uk but I'd appreciate something a little better.

Michael Mak
13th August 2008, 08:18 PM
Finally got PlanePlotter up and running, an awesome program!

Does anyone know where I can download maps of Australia? I found some from the site Nick mentioned but I'm looking for maps of Perth and Queensland.

PS it seems Brisbane and Melbourne are down tonight, I could only get flight data of Sydney.

SteveW
16th December 2008, 03:57 PM
Hmm, you guys prompted me to purchase this. I have a registered version, but can't seem to connect to any sharers. I have the same maps as NickN (from matma) and I've tried UK / Aus maps - all with no traffic.

My timezone is correct, I am on a standard ADSL2+ connection - can't seem to find anything else wrong. The screenshots on the wiki are different to my version, but I basically have I/O set to receive UDP/IP Data from net and anything 'sendy' I have unchecked.

Anyone else encounter dramas when setting it up?

andrew evans
16th December 2008, 06:17 PM
I have just paid the money for plane plotter and all i have is blank radar screen from what i can follow is i have to down load maps of the area that i want(sydney).What site do i get them from if anyone knows.thanks

SteveW
16th December 2008, 06:55 PM
Hey Andrew,

Try http://www.mantma.co.uk/pp_support.html, I got my maps from there. I now have a blank screen with a map ;)

andrew evans
16th December 2008, 07:21 PM
Thanks Steve i have the map and a blank screen too.If you want i cam private message my number and we can try and work it out over the phone if you want.

andrew evans
16th December 2008, 08:00 PM
If anyone could help me with getting my plane plotter going i would be greatfull.I can give you a contact number so we could try and work it out over the phone or in person if i could get to you.I am in sydney Campbelltown.

Daniel F
16th December 2008, 09:00 PM
Have you got a paid version of Planeplotter? If you do, click on the green circle in the toolbar at the top (2nd button from the left) and then you should see aircraft appear on the screen.

SteveW
16th December 2008, 09:50 PM
Have you got a paid version of Planeplotter? If you do, click on the green circle in the toolbar at the top (2nd button from the left) and then you should see aircraft appear on the screen.

Daniel, we both said we had the paid version and both of us have tried clicking the start button. Nothing happens.

Which version do you have and would you mind sending us a screenshot of your I/O options?

Steve

Noel White
17th December 2008, 04:50 AM
If anyone could help me with getting my plane plotter going i would be greatfull.

Andrew, I have sent you a PM.

SteveW
17th December 2008, 11:53 AM
Hey Andrew,

Is yours working?

I checked settings last night after chatting with someone on the phone and it still wasn't working. I got to work this morning and *hey presto* - all is working fine. I have changed nothing whatsoever and it's lovely.

If it's not, I'm sure we can tie up settings to ensure we are both on same page.

andrew evans
18th December 2008, 07:58 AM
Thanks Steve i have it working on my desk top but not on my lap top for some reason. I will leave it for a week or so and see what happens.

Mark T
18th December 2008, 09:38 AM
I see that Noel, (who is a PP expert) has already provided a whole lot of useful info to new PP users. For thos e looking for maps/charts you can set up your own. You just need to scan an image and I have used some old CASA charts and then you need to pick three or four locations and enter the co-ordinates and PP will then use this chart, which is great as it allows you to use any map/chart that you might already have on teh screen.

Cheers
Mark

Mark Fahey
11th January 2009, 10:55 PM
We also have calibrated Plane Plotter charts in the file section of the yahoo group where all the Aust PlanePlotter users hang out.

Go to Yahoo Group and request to join the oz-modeS group.

Cheers,
Mark F (sharing my SBS data on PlanePlotter as user "By")

Michael Mak
29th April 2009, 02:04 PM
By the way, anyone out there living in Darwin that wants to part with $1,000? Having coverage in DRW would complete our Aussie coverage as watching traffic in & out and the internationals flying over Darwin would be great to watch.
Someone seems to have done just that :)

Noel White
29th April 2009, 04:49 PM
Only there till the weekend. :(

Notice those FNQer's have let the side down again. :p

Mark T
5th May 2009, 09:23 AM
Hi all

I hope you enjoyed my week of sharing in Darwin. Sorry that I couldn't leave my SBS up there hooked up, but the internet connection at the hotel would have proved too expensive. As I was working I didn't have too much time to monitor the traffic, but was mostly overflights ex BNE, MEL, SYD. Also local traffic in/out of DRW. There was a little bit of Mode S only traffic - all the
Vincent Air Beech 1900s seemed to still have South African hexcodes.

Cheers
Mark

Gerard M
15th May 2009, 11:16 AM
Just noticed that there aren't many planes showing up over Sydney at the moment, even though i can see them passing over me from 34 departures to the North?
Is this because people don't have their SBS or whatever they are using on and uploading to PP? There are also green, red and blue triangles various places...is this that MLAT i have been hearing about or something?
And there seems to be times when there is no coverage of the Sydney basin, only the surrounding area?

Cheers
Gerard

NickN
15th May 2009, 02:18 PM
The green and red triangles are aircraft who aren't able to report heading and speed data therefore PP cannot predict their course.

And the reason aircraft are flying over your head but not appearing on PP is because they are not ADS-B enabled.

Gerard M
15th May 2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks Nick. Just seems like there is not a lot of traffic in the immediate sydney are when normally i see quite a lot even allowing for the non ads-b equipped ones.

NickN
15th May 2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah it's annoying sometimes. Most of the newer deliveries show up, and all the international aircraft do. It's a little hit and miss.

Grahame Hutchison
15th May 2009, 03:00 PM
Hi Gerard,

I have just setup PP alongside my ACARS setup and have been sharing data which gives a good coverage from Adelaide-Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane. I have just added some waypoints to the basic chart of SE Australia, and plan to create my own charts fairly soon. So far I am quite happy with the setup.

Have a look at www.16Right.com (http://www.16Right.com) and press the Plane Plotter button to have a look at the live screen (updated every 15 minutes).

Gerard M
15th May 2009, 03:47 PM
Hi Grahame,

I saw that on there the other day, nice addition to your website.

Gerard

Noel White
15th May 2009, 04:55 PM
Sorry Gerard,

I have to plead guilty to the lack of aircraft or rather lack of feeds from the Sydney area. Due to a miscalculation on my behalf :o have to restrict my internet connection in the AM periods for the next couple of weeks until the new billing period starts. There are a couple of other feeders in the Sydney area but may not have been on at the time you were asking about.

The MLAT project is still under construction here in Sydney. So far we only have two MLAT groundstations and need a third for it to work. However, there is a good chance that this might take place this weekend. Whether you will receive the data depends on which version of PlanePlotter you have installed and whether you are card carrying member of the PP MLAT fraternity.

Again my apologies for the "No Show" today but hings should be up and running now.

Gerard M
15th May 2009, 05:46 PM
Ah that explains why this afternoon it all started to appear "as normal" again!
No need to apologies. As for this Mlat thing, i've got a relatively recent version of plotter but am not a card carrying one. Can people just streaming the PP feeds still use Mlat? If so how do i go about it?

Gerard

Noel White
15th May 2009, 08:21 PM
From the PlanePlotter web page

http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

Multilateration in PlanePlotter
Multilateration to locate Mode-S aircraft that are not transmitting ADS-B position reports, is a premium service within PlanePlotter. Only "Master Users" of PlanePlotter can initiate multilateration requests.

SBS1/SBS1e users who are regular raw data providers are automatically Master Users. If you are an SBS1/SBS1e user and if you have set up your system to provide raw data to the multilateration scheme and your system has been validated and you make it generally available for other users' benefit, then in return for your contributing raw data, you are automatically entitled to Master User status and there is no additional fee for using this feature. Note that providing raw data is not the same as the routine Internet sharing of aircraft data between users and very occasional or intermittent provision of raw data does not qualify. Only regular raw data providers have automatic Master User status.

If you are a PlanePlotter licence holder but are not an SBS1/SBS1e user, or if there are reasons why you cannot contribute raw data regularly, you can request temporary Master User status for an experimental period of 21 days using the link below. If you request the 21 day trial, you are not committed to paying any fee unless you want to continue to use it after the end of 21 days. After that, you may choose to pay a small fee of Euro 12.00 (plus VAT in EU countries) to continue as a Master User. To request your 21 day free trial, please follow the link below.

Request 21 day trial of Multilateration.

http://www.coaa.co.uk/mlat_request.php

Just be aware that MLAT hasn't been set up in Sydney or Melbourne yet, but there is a race on be the first in Australia. It may happen this weekend - fingers crossed. :rolleyes:

Gerard M
15th May 2009, 09:54 PM
Thanks Noel I guess i'll wait till its been established here in Sydney and then see if i can get the 21 day trial. And it if turns out its good value i'll see if i can pay my way through to becoming a master user!

Gerard

Gerard M
31st May 2009, 12:29 AM
Hi Noel,

How are the plans with MLAT for Sydney going?

Cheers
Gerard

Noel White
1st June 2009, 08:16 AM
Hello Gerard,

Not progressing well unfortunately. :( For MLAT to work the minimum of three "Ground Stations" are required but in Sydney only two permanent GS are feeding (cY & oW) with a third on an occasional basis. It's a case of "hold the phone" till some more GS come on board.

Matt D
12th June 2009, 04:11 PM
Planeplotter users might find this TAAATS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Australian_Advanced_Air_Traffic_System) rendition of Sydney useful. It includes most waypoints and many VFR (SCG, Ryde Bridge, Long Reef etc).

It is based on screenshots of VATPAC (http://www.vatpac.org) TAAATS ATC sector files

Planeplotter overlays
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/syd1.jpg

This one planeplotter data overlaid just before the end of the curfew

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/syd2.jpg

Feel free to PM me with your email address and I'll be happy to send them. Also have WA and Brissy.

Matt

Gerard M
6th July 2009, 07:57 PM
This is more of a question for i think Ian and Noel and others with SBS and know the latest on ADS and all that. But i noticed for the first time a Qantas Dash-8 come up on my PP just about now. Looks like it was heading into Willie. Does this mean that Qantas are starting to install them into their older fleets now? It didn't come up with Qantas Link but VH-SBT instead.

Dave Parer
6th July 2009, 08:48 PM
Hi Gerard,

No, unfortunately VH-SBT is the only Dash-8 in all QF fleet that is ADSB and has been for while. Years ago, the first ADSB trial was conducted around Bundaberg and Dash-8's VH-SBT and VH-TNX plus a couple of RFDS King Air's where equipped with ADSB for the trial period.

VH-TNX has since left Australia but VH-SBT and the couple of RFDS King Air's are still in service and trackable on PP.

All new Boeing's and Airbus aircraft that come off the production line nowdays are already ADSB equipped as standard. None of the Virgin Embraers are ADSB equipped.

What is good news is that two of the older QF 737-800's, VH-VXP and VH-VXT, have recently become ADSB equipped, so hopefully this means QF are in a program of slowly equipping their fleet with ADSB.

Cheers,

Dave.

Adam.S
7th July 2009, 12:23 AM
Just to add (what might already be common knowledge to others), I found out recently that in Virgin Blue's fleet there are various B737s which seem to be lacking certain data tracking equipment.

For example VH-VBJ is one a/c which I cannot find much recent flight data on.
eg. http://www.libhomeradar.org/databasequery/quicksearch.php
I have not seen this aircraft on PlanePlotter either.

Does this mean the aircraft in question is lacking ADSB?

Dale Benson
7th July 2009, 09:38 AM
Im looking at using this software, but have a few questions if you don't mind.

1. $25 euro and thats a full licence, Can i only use that on 1 pc? or both my laptop and pc

2. Once I get it, I get the maps from http://www.mantma.co.uk/pp_maps_eu.html what do I do after this.

3. How do I find who is transmitting data, eg how do I connect to them?

4. Is the connection P2P or website based? just wondering if it will work at "work"

Thanks
Dale

Noel White
7th July 2009, 10:13 AM
Hello Dale,

The 25 euros is a once off licence fee that that will allow you, within reason, to install on a small number of PC's and/or laptops. It works on your e-mail address being the key factor.

The charts/maps can be downloaded as NASA satellite JPEGS images or you can make up your own charts as long as you can calibrate them with the correct lat & lon.

Each feeder has a sharer code which is in a database so you can see their location in relation to your position. Each a/c uploaded displays the sharer's code. The sharer uploads data to a server which you connect via the PlanePlotter program to download and refreshes very 60 secs. You only download the data that is displayed for whatever chart is open. So depending on whether you have the whole of Australia displayed or just a 25nm chart of your own location, that's all is downloaded.

Have a read thru this site - http://planeplotter.pbworks.com/

Cheers,

Noel
Sharer code oW

Lee G
7th July 2009, 06:21 PM
Dale,

It's well worth getting. Unfortunately I don't have the funds to get an SBS1 and put it into the network so I really appreciate the sharing of data that Noel and others do.

Mick F
7th July 2009, 09:41 PM
G'day Dave,
The RFDS King Air that was equipped with ADS-B for the trial was VH-FDI. It was Bundaberg based at the time. I don't believe ADS-B is working anymore in FDI, however the newer B200's (FDA and FDT) are equipped with ADS-B. They were delivered in late 2007.

Mick

Gerard M
17th August 2009, 04:20 PM
Has anyone else noticed that all the pp sharers codes have changed within the last week or two?

Peter Agatsiotis
17th August 2009, 04:36 PM
Hi all

just reading the threads (I like the overlays) and I am probably Noel's 'third occasional GS on PP in Sydney' sharer code k0.

I do open PP now and then but can't get rid of the 5 minute delay despite trying out the links Noel gave me.

The last 2 times I have used PP I have 'Planeplotter has encountered a problem and needs to shut down' and off it goes.

I am trying again now and see how it goes.

Peter

Peter Agatsiotis
17th August 2009, 06:18 PM
I have moved SBS to a newer/faster PC and registered PP with a new sharer code of b9.

Still playing around with set-up and can see my plots and others (jT) on this version 5.4.2.1.

Still has the delay so will work on that now.

Peter

Noel White
18th August 2009, 07:07 AM
Has anyone else noticed that all the pp sharers codes have changed within the last week or two?

Well spotted Gerard :) A couple of the Sydney PP sharers have changed PC equipment which requires reloading PP and the subsequent change to the sharer's code. 'cY' is now "jT" and "oW" has become "nW" :D

Peter, will be out your way again on Wednesday so if you need a hand in setting up PP give me a call on Skype.

Cheers,

Noel (nW)

NickN
18th August 2009, 09:01 AM
How do I add a particular persons code to PP to receive their feed apart from the general feed from the PP server?

Noel White
18th August 2009, 11:43 AM
Nick, you cannot pick and choose sharers. You can however, ignore individual ones by going into Options, Sharing, Setup and add the sharer's code to the Ignore List. Also by zooming down onto a particular area that you are interested in will only download only those sharers who feed that area.

Also the current version of PP (5.4.2.1) has an additional button "OSM" which allows you to download detail maps instead of the plain satellite image.

Cheers,

Noel (nW)

NickN
18th August 2009, 11:53 AM
Noel how do I upgrade to a newer version.

Gerard M
18th August 2009, 02:20 PM
I just went to the website downloaded and installed the latest edition. Had a few error messages whilst installing something about not being able to delete something so i just clicked ignore for them and i'll see what happens :rolleyes:

Noel White
18th August 2009, 03:19 PM
Noel how do I upgrade to a newer version.

Nick, go to this site -

http://www.coaa.co.uk/planeplotter.htm

and scroll down to "Download PlanePlotter" either save it or run it.

No need to do an uninstall, it will install over the previous version keeping your setting and chats etc., and the best thing you don't pay for the upgrade. The once only 25 euros licence fee covers all that.

It's then a matter of enjoying the view. :D

NickN
18th August 2009, 04:15 PM
Loving the new version Noel the OSM function is amazing!

Jeff Gilbert
18th August 2009, 11:04 PM
Is anyone aware of any PP sharers in the Canberra area. I have been thinking about getting PP but as im in Canberra thought it would be a bit pointless to get it if I can't see any traffic nearby.

Cheers

Gerard M
18th August 2009, 11:08 PM
Not sure who it is and not sure how right i am but i think "j5" is a canberra sharer? Noel, can you confirm.

Peter Agatsiotis
18th August 2009, 11:57 PM
Gerard

From an old list I made up there is/was a 'Bob P..." in Canberra with code j0 which may be the person you're thinking of and may now have a code of j5.

HTH
Peter

Noel White
19th August 2009, 07:31 AM
Can confirm Peter's post that Bob P is now using "j5". Not sure of his exact location in the "Bush Capital" but should give you good coverage for the area. From memory can get plots down low into Fairbairn (that's showing my age) with the occasional ones on the ground. He is not on at the moment, so can't check.

A few sharers in Sydney and Melbourne are able to feed mid to high level plots over the ACT for you to pick up.

Jeff, will keep an eye open for Bob's feed and let you know what you could expect with PP.

NickN
19th August 2009, 08:38 AM
I quite often pick up Canberra aircraft via the regular Sydney providers. It's not really exciting for ADS-B enabled aircraft the most I see is the 2 x ADF BBJ's and some of the QF aircraft.

Gerard M
19th August 2009, 02:09 PM
Yeah i usually have good coverage on pp with canberra all the way till they are 500ft off the ground and lower.
One of two questions, with the airshow in townsville coming up, are there any permanent sharers in that area?
And i've turned on the satellite image for the chart on pp how do i turn it off now :o

Peter Agatsiotis
19th August 2009, 03:06 PM
Gerard

There is Dave in Townsville not sure of his current sharer code; don't expect too much on PP for an airshow as it will be either Mode-S or zilch for military combat a/c. Depending on what turns up you may get ADS-B for some civil stuff.

To turn off satellite you need to click on the A,B,C,D buttons if you have saved your normal chart as one of these or the 'quick chart' buttons ( 1 to 10)

HTH

Peter

Peter Agatsiotis
19th August 2009, 03:21 PM
Just checking all the plots for Oz; Dave is still n7.

Dave Parer
19th August 2009, 05:48 PM
Yep, I am n7 and feed to PP 24/7.

We have daily military movements into Townsville of C17's & C130's etc, but all are only Mode-S so they will not show up on PP, so I wouldn't get to excited when the Air Show hits town, but PP will be on so you never know, might get the odd one.....maybe.

Other military movements into TSV are the Hi-Fly A330's and RAAF King Air's and some of these are ADS-B so you will spot them on PP every now and then into and out of TSV.

Cheers,

Dave.

Gerard M
19th August 2009, 06:18 PM
Thanks peter and dave. But just wondering, if your feeding pp and i download the positionless data you still recieve the logs of the military ones but just no location date like the longitute and latitude? Because i get RAAF and USAF logs nearly every day?

Peter Agatsiotis
19th August 2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks Dave.

Gerard you are correct as any Mode-s only contact will be listed.

BTW I have now finally fixed the 5 min delay on sharer b9. Enjoy.

Jeff Gilbert
19th August 2009, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info all. Think will get a copy of PP later in the week.

Cheers

Noel White
22nd August 2009, 09:45 AM
PlanePlotter Information re aircraft database.

PlanePlotter receives its aircraft info from either the SBS or RadarBox database and displays this info alongside the a/c plot.

For those who have PlanePlotter running without a SBS or RadarBox installed can load an a/c database into a folder of your choice and then point PP to access that folder. That should reduce the number of "No-Reg" notifications being displayed.

I have zipped up my SBS Sydney database (23,600 KB) and hope to upload it to the PlanePlotter Forum File Section. Will post a message when it's available. The file is too big to e-mail direct.

Gerard M
24th August 2009, 01:29 AM
Just a question re the new version of plane plotter. Usually after having it on for a day i can scroll through and have a list of all the aircraft that were picked up, now it appears that it deletes or removes from the list all the aircraft which aren't active? If you even watch the list just for a while you see them disappearing.
Is there a setting that i can change so that the logs won't be deleted?
Cheers

Gerard M
24th August 2009, 03:05 PM
I also noticed in north queensland a Beech B200 Super King Air appear on my pp. haven't seen many king airs with full ads-b (not sure if thats the right one or not)? VH-HLJ.

Gerard M
13th September 2009, 04:48 PM
For the first time i've noticed a RAAF C-130 with its callsign actually appear on plane plotter. It appeared in the place of its rego, Trojan 2, SBS 7CF834 at 340ish today.