PDA

View Full Version : Midori to replace Windows as Microsoft's lead OS? (Off Topic)

Gerald A
5th August 2008, 08:41 AM
Wednesday, July 30th

Microsoft is allegedly crafting a completely brand new operating system, completely removed from the Windows code base, as a way of beating the venerable operating system's bad rap.

Link http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/07/30/midori.replaces.windows/

Rhys Xanthis
5th August 2008, 08:58 AM
I cant imagine it being shipped anytime soon, but this is good news, as long as they do this properly and do not make it like Vista. I can't stand Vista!

Ryan Hothersall
5th August 2008, 12:43 PM
What is wrong with Vista?

I like it and have few problems with it.

Philip Argy
5th August 2008, 12:49 PM
I bought a new notebook last September which had Vista Ultimate x64 pre-loaded. I had the option to install XP Pro but silly me thought I'd try Vista. Teamed with Office 2007 it's the worst computer I've ever had the misfortune to own. After years of reliable work with XP Pro and Office 2003 I have found that the loss of productivity and infuriating 'features' of Vista Ultimate and Office 2007 are in fact the ultimate pain!

I hope this stuff never finds its way into any avionics!

A bit O/T but a few years ago I had the privilege of a behind-the-scenes tour of the IT infrastructure at DisneyWorld in Orlando. What impressed me was their obsessive approach to safety-critical systems. What surprised me was that this involved an insistence that rides are operated only by software written in 16 bit assembler running on PDP/11 machines - which are circa 1975! But their view was that if the code has safely run these rides for 30 years then they are not going to change it. Interestingly, they have also implemented a three-mode safety system. It means that each ride cannot be started unless a software-based system, a mechanical interlock and a human being have all agreed that the ride is safe to start.

It's not hard to see why they have an unblemished safety record and when you contemplate the consequences for an organisation like Disney of some ride disaster, it's not hard to see why they take safety so seriously.

Torin Wilson
5th August 2008, 01:03 PM
When I think of Midori all I can think of is the one with the alcohol content.

Can Microsoft not come up with decent names?

Apple has it sorted
http://www.billwho.com/20050713_small_Apple-logo.jpg/20050713_small_Apple-logo-small.jpg
:D