PDA

View Full Version : Passenger intelligence

Philip Argy
28th August 2008, 07:18 AM
We have had discussions recently about passenger intelligence, or the lack of it, so this story caught my eye, no offence to the elderly lady in question:

Woman goes down airport baggage chute

An elderly woman misunderstood instructions while checking in at Sweden's main airport and was whisked down a baggage chute after she placed herself instead of her luggage on the belt, media reported.
The 78-year-old woman, who was not named, was preparing to fly from Stockholm's Arlanda airport to Germany on Tuesday when she lay down on an unmanned baggage belt in the belief she was following check-in instructions, the Upsala Nya Tidning local daily reported on its website.
She was quickly swept off to the baggage handling centre, where staff members helped get her back on her feet.
The woman suffered no serious injury and caught her flight as planned.

Bob C
28th August 2008, 02:11 PM
Sounds like Kosmo Kramer's mum !

Daniel G
28th August 2008, 03:43 PM
The poor woman is 78 :(

The elderly are very easily confused. Back in the old girls day she was probably much more intelligent that you'd like to believe!

Stephen Brown
28th August 2008, 04:21 PM
So what happens in an emergency situation on the plane when you need to be able to follow directions quickly and accurately??

You'd like to think that everyone is going to be able to follow what is happening, wouldn't you?

Josh F
28th August 2008, 06:35 PM
I am sure she will have no problems going down the emergency chutes on the aircraft considering she went down the baggage one with no problems :D

steve k
28th August 2008, 06:53 PM
sounds like an old bag to me!!!:D

Simon L.
31st August 2008, 02:43 AM
So what happens in an emergency situation on the plane when you need to be able to follow directions quickly and accurately??

You'd like to think that everyone is going to be able to follow what is happening, wouldn't you?

Sadly, more passengers travelling today probably cannot follow crew instructions promptly and correctly than we'd like to think, and the reason beings can range from language barriers between crew members and passengers (e.g. they don't speak the same language etc.) to those who may require special assistance. But that's the way it is, and life goes on…

Marty H
31st August 2008, 09:15 AM
Passengers are clueless, I dont think flying is that difficult task, of checking your bag in, finding your gate and boarding the aircraft, disembarking the aircraft and getting your bag and leaving the airport.

A few 'situations' Ive seen:

Had a lady and her husband come into MEL from a BNE flight and was then in the queue to board a PER flight, got their boarding pass scanned and the alarm went off girl scanning looks at boarding pass and says to the lady this is your BNE-MEL boarding pass I need your MEL-PER boarding pass, lady says no I dont have one Im looking for my bags.

Another one was a man was standing at the top of the escalators for a long time near the check in area at MEL, in the end one of the guest services girls walks over and says excuse me do you need any help, he said Im just waiting for my bag to come up the escalator.

And the countless amounts of times pax try to check in for QF/JQ flights at the DJ check in area is beyond belief.

Anthony J
31st August 2008, 12:44 PM
This all seems extremely unfair.

Maybe it is the case that passengers are poorly educated as to the expectations of the airline.

I am terrified of catching trams in Melbourne because I just don't know or understand the system. I know I can research how to catch them however my need for trams is infrequent so there is a good chance I would not know the process as locals do.

That must make me clueless and lacking in intelligence.

Adrian B
31st August 2008, 09:18 PM
This all seems extremely unfair.

Maybe it is the case that passengers are poorly educated as to the expectations of the airline.

I am terrified of catching trams in Melbourne because I just don't know or understand the system. I know I can research how to catch them however my need for trams is infrequent so there is a good chance I would not know the process as locals do.

That must make me clueless and lacking in intelligence.

thats not you, thats our tram system.....

Carsten Bauer
2nd September 2008, 12:57 PM
I hate self loading cargo (aka passengers) that think because a flight departs at 1515hrs, they can check in up until that time, not realising it takes time for their bag to go through the baggage system, loadsheets need to be redone and what not..

Oh, and also the smart *** idiots that say a Taboo word at check in and think they're going to make us smile. We've had an increase in "jokers" lately, so we have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to that.

Robert Zweck
2nd September 2008, 01:52 PM
Many years ago a TAA passenger making a Melbourne-Adelaide booking asked what time it would arrive at Geelong to pick him up.

Marty H
2nd September 2008, 04:29 PM
I hate self loading cargo (aka passengers) that think because a flight departs at 1515hrs, they can check in up until that time, not realising it takes time for their bag to go through the baggage system, loadsheets need to be redone and what not..

Oh, and also the smart *** idiots that say a Taboo word at check in and think they're going to make us smile. We've had an increase in "jokers" lately, so we have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to that.

I had some joker come upto me in the check in area at MEL and say ohhh where are the check in people I need to check in for the 2250 plane to SYD, I said um let me have a look at you itnerary, had a look and he was pointing to the arrival time of his aircraft into SYD:eek::rolleyes:

Philip Argy
2nd September 2008, 04:41 PM
Is there a SCHEDULED 2250 arrival into Sydney given the 2300 curfew commencement? It would only leave 10 minutes' grace.

The 2100 flight from MEL to SYD is scheduled to arrive at 2220. I'm not aware of one 30 mins after that.

Marty H
2nd September 2008, 07:17 PM
Is there a SCHEDULED 2250 arrival into Sydney given the 2300 curfew commencement? It would only leave 10 minutes' grace.

The 2100 flight from MEL to SYD is scheduled to arrive at 2220. I'm not aware of one 30 mins after that.

Last one leaves MEL at 21:15 for SYD, DJ899.

Daniel M
2nd September 2008, 10:00 PM
Last one leaves MEL at 21:15 for SYD, DJ899.

correct, and arrives into Sydney at 2235.

David M
9th September 2008, 02:38 PM
Passengers will be passengers...

I had a pax the other day get off after a 50 minute flight and say to the F/O... so.. you don't have toilets on this one. (meaning a/c)

I had already made two P/A's stating that there are smoke detectors in the toilet and that there is a toilet at the front of the a/c! Numerous people had used the facilities during that flight too.

I had to say it twice and he still didn't know...

So...

If pax don't even know where to go to sit and contemplate, how on earth are they going to know how to evacuate an aircraft!!! :eek:

David.M.

Guy W
9th September 2008, 06:14 PM
Wait until you got calls from travel agents asking for baby bassinet for their 3 or 4 year old pax on a weekly basis. Some agents aren't really much smarter than the pax. :D

Grant Smith
9th September 2008, 06:30 PM
Wait until you got calls from travel agents asking for baby bassinet for their 3 or 4 year old pax on a weekly basis. Some agents aren't really much smarter than the pax. :D

I've heard there's a resident "celebrity" travel agent in Perth who is reknowned for doing this...

:cool:

Tim C
9th September 2008, 06:33 PM
I've heard there's a resident "celebrity" travel agent in Perth who is reknowned for doing this...

:cool:

Indeed there is

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f56/qantasflyer/luke.png

David M
9th September 2008, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy W
Wait until you got calls from travel agents asking for baby bassinet for their 3 or 4 year old pax on a weekly basis. Some agents aren't really much smarter than the pax.

I didn't know Chuukie had a 4 year old?

Congrats again Luke, a belated welcome to fatherhood... or didn't you know??

:D