PDA

View Full Version : Red Bull weekend

Luke Chittock
1st September 2008, 12:23 AM
Howdy citizens

It's coming up to two months before the Red Bull weekend (01-02NOV) is being held in the city of Perff, located in the state of excitement.

To facilitate social arrangements, the Perth office requests a show of hands, or posts if that's preferred, as to who is actually making the pilgrimage to Perfff for this geek event.

Regards

Luke/PER

Adam P.
1st September 2008, 12:31 AM
http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/hand.gif

Pick me! Pick me!

Grant Smith
1st September 2008, 01:37 AM
My attendance has been confirmed since last years event - ******** I'm offended that you did not include this in your initial post!

Brenden S
1st September 2008, 08:55 AM
Well I am flying over today for the event.......

Mick F
1st September 2008, 09:03 AM
Attendance not able this year, due to work checking and training at the time.

Will be sad to miss it. Last year was a hoot. But I don't remember seeing many aircraft.

Remember more the big night at the Hoegarden, Tiger Lil's and whatever that other place we went to afterwards was called. Mandatory kebab purchased on the walk home of course.

Mick

Rhys Xanthis
1st September 2008, 09:17 AM
T.e.e = :(

Adam P.
1st September 2008, 10:02 AM
Tee hee!

Brenden S
1st September 2008, 10:32 PM
TER isnt it now Ryhs?

Chris W
1st September 2008, 11:05 PM
I will be there, attendance at festivities pending.

Cam S
2nd September 2008, 12:05 AM
Luke FOG

Btw to all those who make the trip to ypph Luke is offering free accommodation at his joint and meals so jump in on this good offer. And Mick what's going on man? you promised us a free joyflight. :(

Cheers

Rhys Xanthis
2nd September 2008, 12:54 AM
TER isnt it now Ryhs?

neg.

TER = ranking

TEE = examination

what they are changing is the way its scored...going from TES to a TEA...whatever that means:p

Jason Carruthers
2nd September 2008, 08:01 PM
I'm heading west for Redbull 08. I Will be attending the final (02NOV)

Jason

Montague S
3rd September 2008, 12:22 AM
Attendance not able this year, due to work checking and training at the time.

Will be sad to miss it. Last year was a hoot. But I don't remember seeing many aircraft.

Remember more the big night at the Hoegarden, Tiger Lil's and whatever that other place we went to afterwards was called. Mandatory kebab purchased on the walk home of course.

Mick

harden up...

Luke, you worked on the idea we discussed at the Vic after the footy?

what about Chutney Mary's? we could also look at Mt Lawley and the beaufort st restaurants? short walk from the Queens & the Brisbane too.

http://www.chutneymarys.com.au/menu/main.html

http://www.tablesonline.com.au/suburb/WA/Mount-Lawley/restaurants.html

also have this choice at Woodside HQ.

http://www.tonyromas.com/files/locations_world_results.asp?Country=Australia#

Grant Smith
3rd October 2008, 11:46 AM
**bump**

Adam P.
3rd October 2008, 11:50 AM
I'm still going!!

Dunno where I'm staying yet, but that'll get worked out eventually... Chuukie any of Air Chittock's Business Class seats available?? ;)

Rhys Xanthis
3rd October 2008, 12:32 PM
Watched the Porto leg on Foxtel last night, makes me more disappointed im not going to watch :(

Does anyone know if Perth is confirmed as a venue next year? I havent been able to find any info about it.

Brenden S
3rd October 2008, 01:01 PM
Perth has secured it for another 3 years

Bernie P
3rd October 2008, 01:50 PM

Was there EVER any talk about it coming to Sydney, or was it just about the jet boats???

Rhys Xanthis
3rd October 2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks Brenden, great news!! :)

Grant Smith
3rd October 2008, 09:02 PM
Was there EVER any talk about it coming to Sydney, or was it just about the jet boats???

Bernie,

There was a rumour circulating earlier this year that Red Bull were looking at Sydney as an option - however I believe John O'neil declined to bid for it as it didn't fit in with the NSW Governments Events policy...

Nigel C
4th October 2008, 05:22 AM
Party pooper!
:p

Montague S
4th October 2008, 08:04 AM
who's coming over?

Grant Smith
4th October 2008, 08:57 PM
who's coming over?

I hear vice president Sarah Palin is making a special appearance...

Andrew P
4th October 2008, 09:26 PM
I hear vice president Sarah Palin is making a special appearance...

didn't realise the US had been to the polls already

Bernie P
4th October 2008, 09:31 PM
Bernie,

There was a rumour circulating earlier this year that Red Bull were looking at Sydney as an option - however I believe John O'neil declined to bid for it as it didn't fit in with the NSW Governments Events policy...

Hey Grant,

Thanks for that! I know that when the boats were in, we had a lot of infrastructure that had to go in at work... And in the end, it was not THAT big (numbers wise, thus over catered, and toilets etc...) of an event. There was also (from memory) a lot of discussion around the suitability for Syd Harbour & Sustainability/Environmental impacts etc...

I would therefore have assumed that IF it were to come to Syd Harbour, the same, often heated, discussions would occur again, at least for our site!

Now with Perth having it, what sort of an area is need to host such an event, and depending on the area, can Sydney actually HOLD this type of event given limited airspace (city buildings ans proximity of Syd Airport)?

Cheers

B

Rhys Xanthis
5th October 2008, 01:52 AM
I think there would be enough space...Porto track looked pretty tight!

Grant Smith
5th October 2008, 01:53 AM
Sydney could hold it in theory but for practicality reasons Perth is the ultimate setup - Langley Park whilst not purpose built is perfect for everything that the Red Bull guys are looking for in a locale...

Sydney Harbour is obviously a prettier venue but for a venue that doesn't require so much change to infrastructure Perth is the better / more viable destination.

Oh and it gives the eastern state geeks an excuse to go visit the western side... ;)

Grant Smith
5th October 2008, 01:55 AM
didn't realise the US had been to the polls already

Heard of inside information before Banjo? ;)

Cam S
5th October 2008, 10:30 PM
Stuff the American election. I say we elect another Red Bull weekend organizer because Luke is doing a horrid job.

Adam P.
6th October 2008, 11:26 AM
I reckon you just nominated yourself Cam....

Montague S
6th October 2008, 01:03 PM
I reckon we get "bomber" Thomson on the job.

Cam S
6th October 2008, 09:36 PM
I reckon you just nominated yourself Cam....

haha pass Adam. And Monty in regard to Mark "Bomber" Thompson i would rather Guy "Bluey" McKenna GC17 followed them all my life etc. :)

Chris W
7th October 2008, 11:03 AM
I vote no for Adam. Everything he attempts to organise fails before it even gets off the ground aye Adam!

Rhys Xanthis
7th October 2008, 01:14 PM
Does anyone know if the planes are here yet, and if so where they are parked at the moment?

Would love to go out to the airport (either) to see them at least, as i wont get to see them flying.

Thanks guys!

Rhys

Adam P.
7th October 2008, 02:28 PM
I vote no for Adam. Everything he attempts to organise fails before it even gets off the ground aye Adam!

Oi!

You'll keep, young Chris. You'll keep.

Grant Smith
7th October 2008, 05:52 PM

Or there'll be an excess of steak and gravy on the floors of Perth restaurants ;)

Grant Smith
7th October 2008, 05:53 PM
And Monty in regard to Mark "Bomber" Thompson i would rather Guy "Bluey" McKenna GC17 followed them all my life etc. :)

Guy McKenna GC17 4tw! Alternatively Costello 11 Cam...

Chris W
9th October 2008, 07:00 PM
Oi!

You'll keep, young Chris. You'll keep.

Well its bloody true and you know it! We do need to get in the air one day though, on one of our few days off.

Luke Chittock
24th October 2008, 07:29 PM
Howdy all

The Perfff office has now confirmed a venue for the annual Red Bull get together of YSSY board plane geeks and others et al

When?
Saturday 1st November
1900hrs (that’d be 7pm for non plane geeks)

Where?
Fab Burgers (FAB)
531 Hay Street
Subiaco Village
Subiaco

Then quality (optional) Subiaco nightlife thereafter

Menu?
http://www.fabburgers.com.au/pdfs/FAB-Menu.pdf

RSVP?
Can you please let me know (either here or via PM/Email) if you will be attending so we can get enough spots held for us at the restaurant.

Remember, all geeks, geekettes, nongeeks and nongeeketts are more than welcome. The more the merrier really.

Thus far, I have confirmed attendances from: Brendan S, Joe C, Dan W, Killbot, Bella Princess, Balazs M, Tim C, Adam P, Granny, Camsam S, Stephan M, Montague S, Justin, Amsy and me!

Post up any questions, concerns or general banter.

Some further info on the actual airrace at
http://www.redbullairrace.com/images/races/perth/redbullairrace_magazine_perth.pdf

Luke/PER

Montague S
24th October 2008, 07:34 PM
looking forward to it...Timba, you in town that weekend?

Rhys Xanthis
26th October 2008, 02:03 PM
Good AND Bad news everyone :(

THE Red Bull International Air Race will stay in Perth for another three years from 2010, the WA government has announced.

The event, which will be held next weekend, last year attracted hundreds of thousands of spectators and more then 100 million TV viewers worldwide.

West Australian Tourism Minister Liz Constable said the race would not be held next year but would resume in 2010 for three consecutive years.

"The Red Bull organisers are rejigging their calendar and they want to put the Perth event up front around about March/April and everyone felt that a six month gap between the two races was not long enough,'' Dr Constable said.

"But an 18-month gap gives us time and everyone more time (and) breathing space before we start up again.''

The event involves race pilots from around the world flying between buoys or air gates in the Swan River doing speeds of up to 400km/h, 10 metres above the water.

It is a free event but prime viewing positions can be purchased close to the finish line on the Perth foreshore.

Ms Constable today said, while the event would cost the state government almost $5 million in 2010, the benefits would be worthwhile.

``It returns over $12 million to the local economy ... which is good for business, especially small business,'' Dr Constable said.

``And that's a fantastic to involve people in Western Australia as well as interstate visitors and some overseas visitors.

:( Means i have to wait 18 months to see it now:p

Rhys Xanthis
28th October 2008, 04:25 PM
Just saw

2 Red Bull Air Race Planes
2 Helicopters
and what must have been an RAAF jet

doing laps along the coast very close to my house. The sound from the fighter jet was impressive to say the least!!!

I assume some promo film etc was being shot; i can still hear them now. Looked very impressive!

Jason Carruthers
29th October 2008, 05:56 PM
Howdy all

The Perfff office has now confirmed a venue for the annual Red Bull get together of YSSY board plane geeks and others et al

Count me in

Jason

Scott Loveday
29th October 2008, 10:40 PM
Skip Stewart in action, just to whet the appetites of those gearing up for this weekend's action

Skip Stewart at Al Ain (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=S1dWCumqf4k&feature=email)

Mark D
30th October 2008, 12:06 PM
When?
Saturday 1st November
1900hrs (that’d be 7pm for non plane geeks)

I was hoping to make this as I'll be in Perff for the event but might be involded with family who I haven't seen for 20 years.... decisions decisions....

If I can make it I'll have to be a late blow-in - I guess there'll be room for one more :-)
I have the details anyway, & will see closer.
Looking forward to all the Bull (Red, of course :-))

Mark D
13th November 2008, 07:41 PM
Sorry I missed you guys in Perff, by the time I got there my rellies had planned me a pretty full program.
I was only there 4 days so it was all pretty busy! On the Sunday I had access to the ASX building (blue glass juast west of the airfield at Langley Park), on the 30th floor which was a great viewpoint, but a bit far from the rest of the crowds.
Some photos in Flickr in this set (http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedy_msd/sets/72157608760009317/), more to come when I get time. (I took 1050 photos in 2 days, just a little overkill!~!)

Dan Collins
25th November 2008, 06:51 PM
Hey All,

I know this is being dug up from a few weeks ago, but I've been flat out sorting through and putting photos online from my recent trips. I finally got around to doing those from a weekend in Perth for the Red Bull Air Race.

Because the photos I've resized to 1024x768, I'll provide this link to another forum which sums it all up for you.

Hope you enjoy...
http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/1-1-scale-commercial-aviation/69598-perth-red-bull-air-race-weekend-photos-01-11-08-03-11-08-a.html

Dan

Mick.B
25th November 2008, 07:04 PM
Dan, thanks for the photos. The two airfeilds you took a photo of over Adelaide were, Parafield on the right and RAAF Base Edinburgh on the left. You must have flown directly overhead Adelaide airport.