PDA

View Full Version : You gotta love Ryanair

David Ramsay
25th September 2008, 07:43 PM
Found in today's NZ Herald

A Swedish woman was stopped from boarding a budget jet - because her name was too long. The name, Ulrika Örtegren-Kärjenmäki would not fit on Ryanair's boarding pass. And dots over some letters invalidated it in security checks at Stansted Airport near London. Furious Ulrika, who was with her daughter, had to pay extra for a flight the next day. The same problem happened, but staff managed to create an alternative boarding pass. (Source: Sun)

Raymond Rowe
25th September 2008, 07:57 PM
Why do low cost carriers get away with this type of crap.Any excuse and you are stopped.

Nigel C
25th September 2008, 08:59 PM
So you're telling me that there aren't full cost carriers who might run into the same security issue?

Rather narrow minded, don't you think?

Gareth Forwood
25th September 2008, 09:15 PM
I'm just amazed they made her pay extra for the next day's flight, when it was the airline's fault...

Ash W
25th September 2008, 09:39 PM
I'm just amazed they made her pay extra for the next day's flight, when it was the airline's fault...

No it isn't the airlines fault per se. But yes agree with the sentiment that the poor passenger should not have been forced to fork out more as a result.

Philip Argy
26th September 2008, 05:10 PM
No it isn't the airlines fault per se.

Either the airline created a defective boarding pass or the security checkpoint wrongly rejected it.

Whichever is true, the passenger should not have been out of pocket, or even delayed!

Ash W
26th September 2008, 08:06 PM
Either the airline created a defective boarding pass or the security checkpoint wrongly rejected it.

Whichever is true, the passenger should not have been out of pocket, or even delayed!

Which is exactly what I said in my 2nd sentence.

David C
30th September 2008, 06:48 PM
Phew what a relief .... You see I'm flying Ryan Air in a couple of weeks time , BHX-SNN-BHX . I have a short name though , and the last time I checked I had no dots over the letters either , so I should be OK !!:rolleyes:

Dave C

Olle Q
1st October 2008, 01:46 AM
Found this on the web:
Srinivas-Venkataramana Gangaikondakanchipuram
Guess Ryanair would jail this person.

Olle
Sweden

Peter T Syd
5th October 2008, 01:14 PM
I had a unrelated issue however it had to do with the correct name on a QFF ticket I redeemed online on the Qantas website, it didnt include my middle name which is on my passport and I got pulled up at YSSY, they fixed it however they made a big deal about it and I just played on but they said that my passport and ticket must be the exact name or they wouldnt let me board. I called the QFF hotline and they changed it for me.

Rhys Xanthis
5th October 2008, 01:54 PM
I had a unrelated issue however it had to do with the correct name on a QFF ticket I redeemed online on the Qantas website, it didnt include my middle name which is on my passport and I got pulled up at YSSY, they fixed it however they made a big deal about it and I just played on but they said that my passport and ticket must be the exact name or they wouldnt let me board. I called the QFF hotline and they changed it for me.

Really?

Thats interesting...we've got some tickets for Singapore (then onward to Europe with Qatar)...will check what names its under.

Thanks for the heads-up Peter.

EDIT: My brother and my middle names are not there...i'll get dad to fix that up soon - thanks again