PDA

View Full Version : Observer's book of ?

Tony G
28th September 2008, 07:05 AM
Does anyone remember the Oberservers books, I think it even covered cats and Dogs:rolleyes:. They also covered Aircraft and Airliners. On one page it gave the photo and description of the A/C the next page it gave 3 different angles ( head on, birds eye view and side view).

I bought my first one from an Aviation store in Rockdale, I think a guy named Mike used to own it. The books came our yearly back then. I have not seen them in a long while.

Wayne Bee
28th September 2008, 03:41 PM
I have 2 of them 1967 and 1979.
Got them when I was a lot younger when there was no net, to look up.
67 cost me 75c and the 79 was $4.95 reduced to $3.95
I think they stopped printing them in the early 80's.
The 1967 edition list the C-130K as having first flight Oct 19 1967.

Liz E
28th September 2008, 07:30 PM
I have the '61 edition. A gift from Mum who picked it up for 50 cents at Vinnies about a year ago.

Paul Hunter
29th September 2008, 08:40 AM
G'Day Tony,

Yes what a great little book they were.

The only edition I have left is the 1977 one.

There was also a similar book titled "The observers book of civil aircraft of Australia and New Zealand" by Timothy and Elizabeth Hall that came out in 1979. (Though with 3 silouette views only of jet aircraft, 1 photo of all other GA types.) Still a good little reference.

I think the guy you got it from was Mike Clayton. I also used to buy a few things from him. I believe he's still about as a correspondant for Airliner World for one.

Regards.

Tony G
29th September 2008, 11:21 AM
Thats it Mike Clayton. WOW, this little store in Rockdale was a long time ago. From what i remember he used to have the only from of aviation enthusiests shop around. I visited his store weekly after coming back from the airport. I would use any money i had as a kid to buy a photo he had taken or even a book if i could afford it. I still have a few photos he had taken. Thanks for the post Paul, just bought back some memories.

phil.l
29th September 2008, 03:44 PM
Tony i dont think Mike would mind if i said that he is still around,now a resident of the central coast

Tony G
30th September 2008, 12:51 AM
Tony i dont think Mike would mind if i said that he is still around,now a resident of the central coast

Thats great news Phil. I wish him the best. He bought joy to my life with regards to aviation along with Brian Chidlow who took me to visit Mike and down to the airport every week. I hope he is fit and well.

Nigel C
30th September 2008, 04:10 AM
Don't you just hate it when....

....you know you have a copy of something buried somewhere in the house so you then go looking for it. You think you've found it by the shape and size, but then when when you look at it, it turns out to be The Observers Book of STEAM LOCOMOTIVES OF AUSTRALIA!!!! (David Burke, 1979):confused::confused:

I do have the aircraft one still hidden somewhere in a 'safe place'. If I find it, then it'll probably be sitting next to that spare $50, the odd sock, and everything else that I've put in that 'safe place' never to be found!:o:o

Bernie P
30th September 2008, 07:52 AM
Don't you just hate it when....

....you know you have a copy of something buried somewhere in the house so you then go looking for it. You think you've found it by the shape and size, but then when when you look at it, it turns out to be The Observers Book of STEAM LOCOMOTIVES OF AUSTRALIA!!!! (David Burke, 1979):confused::confused:

I do have the aircraft one still hidden somewhere in a 'safe place'. If I find it, then it'll probably be sitting next to that spare $50, the odd sock, and everything else that I've put in that 'safe place' never to be found!:o:o

Alzheimer’s perhaps ?? :confused: :eek: :p

Nigel C
30th September 2008, 09:52 AM
Sorry, what was that you just said?
:p

David Ramsay
30th September 2008, 02:34 PM
The Observers Book of STEAM LOCOMOTIVES OF AUSTRALIA!!!!

We all know your secret now Nigel - closet train spotter? :eek:

Nigel C
30th September 2008, 09:13 PM
To be honest, I don't even know how it came to be in my possession, or indeed who the previous owner was!:confused::confused::confused:

Andrew P
10th October 2008, 06:35 PM
found my copy, Tenth Edition, January 1961

Banjo