PDA

View Full Version : The ever changing face of Sydney Airport

Nigel C
30th March 2008, 01:10 PM
Since the old board went down and the new one came into existance, there have been a few changes around the traps, and a few more about to happen.

Here's a quick update:

Dom-3B is a new apron area that has opened between Hangar 3 and Dom-4 (old domestic express terminal area). It currently has bays Foxtrot 13-16 plus their secondary parking positions. At this stage, only Bays F13, 15 and 16 are in use. Fox 14 is more of a layover bay.
The old Fox 15/16 bays in front of Hangar 83 have been removed completely.

Now that Dom-3B is open for business, preparations are being made for the demolition of the old Ansett Hangar 83 (immediately to the east of the Fox 1-6 bays). When it's gone, Hangar 3 (used for corporate stuff) will be left standing all on its lonesome, and works will commence to construct Dom-3A where Hangar 83 now stands.

Bays 20 and 22 have been demolished as per this thread http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=71

Cheers

Lukas M
30th March 2008, 01:12 PM
It would be great if they also built a LCC terminal for a tiger to live in

Craig Murray
30th March 2008, 01:38 PM
Lukas, would you mind editing your post to exclude the quote? You're the first respondant to Nigels post so theres no real need to quote him?

Re Tiger, have they announced an intention to operate into Sydney? In its present form I'm not sure there is room for another operator within T2 is this correct Nigel?

Lukas M
30th March 2008, 01:49 PM
No no word on a tiger moving to Syd:( Serioulsy if there doing work to the airport, why not build a LCCT somewhere off the runway, and connect it with a road!

Mark Grima
30th March 2008, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the update Nigel. I haven't been out to the airport since Feb!!! So by the sounds of it when I get out there next I will notice some changes.

Is there any way of getting a map that indicates the names of all the aprons. I don't know the names too well, however when you describe a location I know exactly what you mean.

Cheers

M

Brenden S
30th March 2008, 02:51 PM
Any chance of some pics Nigel?

David Ramsay
30th March 2008, 03:00 PM
Mark, you can find the charts here (http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/pending/dap/AeroProcChartsTOC.htm). Select Sydney, then the chart that you want.

Nigel C
30th March 2008, 06:05 PM
Hi Craig,
I'm not privvy to the negotiations or news regarding new airlines. From what I can see, the T2 terminal's pretty full at the moment and with the old Domestic Express Terminal being leased out as office space, I'm not sure where they could go:confused:

Lukas, if it were that simple, I'm sure Macquarie would have jumped at the chance to build another terminal. Try having a look at the masterplan located on the www.sydneyairport.com website; that may give you an idea as to where the airport thinks it will be in 10 or 20 years time (not really sure of the projection of the masterplan...I've never really taken an interest in it!)

Brenden, for you? No chance! haha.;)
I'm sure somewhere in your collection of pics from your time around the traps you'd have shots of the old Hangar 1/2/3/83 complex.
With a bit of smart editing, you can digitally remove Hangars 1 and 2, add some light poles, a fence and some taxi cabs behind it. Then put 3 Rex Saabs in front of the fence and voila! you have yourself one Dom-3B apron!:D
When you've done it, please share!I'll see what I can do tomorrow night...I might be able to squeeze just one pic of the whole area for you!

The Hangar 83 area now has a concrete and chain mesh fence around it. A worksplan has been issued, so demolition should start sometime this week I'd imagine.

Adam P.
30th March 2008, 07:19 PM
only Bays F13, 15 and 16 are in use. Fox 14 is more of a layover bay

This new apron is causing a few issues from what I heard - among other things there's no provision for Saabs to be reverse-parked. The problem is the tailwind limit for starting them up - with a strong southerly blowing they will sometimes need to be repositioned to enable them to start, which is a little inconvenient!

Matt_L
30th March 2008, 07:29 PM
Nigel,
Whats happened to Barton Park spot for aircraft arriving on 07 and 25 Departures. I visited there yesterday and noticed half of carpark was fenced off and only location is at the end of a LOOONG football field with long grass which is very spiky and hard to navigate:) and only then you are afforded a partial view of landing aircraft on 07. this was one of the best spotters locations what happened? Im assuming the runway extension is the reason they closed it?
Matt

Nigel C
30th March 2008, 07:35 PM
Matt you can blame that one fairly and squarely on the State Government. It's part of the desalination pipeline project.

Nigel C
30th March 2008, 07:36 PM
This new apron is causing a few issues from what I heard - among other things there's no provision for Saabs to be reverse-parked. The problem is the tailwind limit for starting them up - with a strong southerly blowing they will sometimes need to be repositioned to enable them to start, which is a little inconvenient!

Haven't they taught you guys to build bridges yet?;)

David Sims
31st March 2008, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the update

Adam P.
31st March 2008, 02:26 PM
The thing is, Nige, they DO allow DHC-8s to reverse park.

We don't get it.

Brenden S
1st April 2008, 01:05 AM
Nige, my nuts are in a noose, me spend that much time on the computer to edit pics, yea right..... and cheers for the possible effort to be made.

Nigel C
1st April 2008, 02:13 AM
We don't get it.

It wouldn't be the first time you didn't get it!;)

Maybe you need to build that bridge right to our CADD section!

Nigel C
9th April 2008, 04:18 AM
Sorry Brenden, no pics yet...

Hangar 83 is now half gone. From airside at a distance, all looks normal. From up close, the rear is in pieces.
By the weekend there should be not a lot left unless the weather slows the demolition down.

Nigel C
9th April 2008, 04:22 AM
Oh, and another thing. The heliport area is seeing some major changes...

Twy Heli-1 has been decommisioned and will be rebuilt further to the east. Helipad H1 has also been relocated and should open up soon about 150m east and slightly north of its old position.
The perimeter road has also been relocated in this area.

Also Twy Alpha-5 is being made A380 compatible.

Adam P.
9th April 2008, 12:21 PM
Bloody heck Nige, you lot don't muck around.

Much.

Nigel C
9th April 2008, 02:10 PM
I did label the thread as the "ever changing"...

I wasn't kidding...this time!

Scott Lindsell
10th April 2008, 06:05 AM
Fair dinkum next time I come home I don't think I'll even recognise my old stomping ground :(

Adam P.
23rd August 2008, 01:38 AM
Dom-3A has opened... six new bays for the regionals. Christened by a couple of Saabs this afternoon.

Hooray!http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/adore.gif

Nigel C
23rd August 2008, 03:09 AM
Now they just have to get Westfields out of Hangar 3 and they can build the next installment!

Seeing as you've bumped this back to the top, here's what's been completed in recent times...

Helipad 1 has been relocated, and Twy Heli-1 has been moved.

Rwy 16R/34L and Rwy 07/25 now have inset runway edge lights instead of elevated ones.

My office has moved from the beach hut to the heliport area. Nice new office, but we have lost all of our views:(

Rwy 25 has been shortened in preparation for the RESA project. Last available exit is now Golf-2.

Intl-1 and Intl-2 have been realigned for A380 ops.

The fenceline along Airport Drive (formerly Qantas Drive) is now twice as tall and electrified, although one could argue it gives a better view of what's happening inside the fenceline.

The transmissometers have been just about commissioned for use in periods of low visibility. I think the final paperwork is just about completed.

The thunderstorm alert system is in place right across the airport, including the heliport.

Rwy 07 now has a shiny new glidepath AND localiser.

Bay 20 and 22 are fast becoming the next part of the International Terminal building. Construction is flying along!

Bay 61 is nearly A380 ready.

Oh, and Adams Saabs can now reverse park on the Dom-3B apron.:p

Cheers

Will T
23rd August 2008, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the update, Nige. It's all happening!

Any sign of anyone crawling around the roof of the new Control Tower to upgrade the Surface Movement Radar?

D Chan
23rd August 2008, 01:52 PM
tried out the new carpark building at the international earlier this week. It's pretty good - quite impressed by it.

It's also a lot better for those airport workers who can get parking there, even if they are located at the top levels of the carpark. It's so much more convenient than parking at the Long Term Car Park and then having to catch that bus to the terminal (takes so much time)

shame to see the food court disappearing into the restricted area. The bar just under the observation deck must be picking up a lot more business I suspect.

Scott Lindsell
23rd August 2008, 02:21 PM
Has anyone a photo of the international terminal or parking lot from the air?
I'd love to see these changes.

Nigel C
23rd August 2008, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the update, Nige. It's all happening!

Any sign of anyone crawling around the roof of the new Control Tower to upgrade the Surface Movement Radar?

Hey Will, yes there has been some activity up there in previous weeks but I'm unsure on how things are progressing. Maybe Paul or Mark could give a better update?

Sarah C
23rd August 2008, 03:55 PM
shame to see the food court disappearing into the restricted area. The bar just under the observation deck must be picking up a lot more business I suspect.

Agree. The food court has reduced (the Maccas would be doing good trade) but with all the shops closed around it, it is not very appealing. At least the deck is still open so all is not lost.

And to make it worse, the view from the food court is basically gone, with scraffolding and construction now blocking the view.

Bruce Bramwell
23rd August 2008, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=Sarah C;11288]scraffolding QUOTE]

Shouldnt it be scruffolding?

Paul Hunter
24th August 2008, 08:40 AM
There has been plenty happening with the installation of the new SMR.

New antennas have been attached to the tower roof in the last couple of weeks.

Still much to be done. Commissioning not expected till 1st quarter 2009.

Regards.

Graham B
26th August 2008, 01:30 PM
Just on the new Internatonal carpark .. why the hell WOULDN"Tt they build a pedestrian overpass from the carpark to the terminal instead of making pedestrians cross over the road (at the lights) and holding up vehicular traffic and adding to the congestion already caused by the poorly designed roads.. ..and to make matters worse they have put another pedestrain crossing up in the depatures level ... I guess they might start charging people to cross the road soon ..... Macquarie$$$$$$$$

Benjo

Nigel C
27th December 2008, 07:58 AM
The transmissometers have been just about commissioned for use in periods of low visibility. I think the final paperwork is just about completed.

Sorry to bump this back to the top, but I believe this mornings fog was the first time the recently commissioned (19th December 2008) transmissometers have been used in anger in place of traditional RVR's.

Andrew P
27th December 2008, 09:42 AM
Just on the new Internatonal carpark .. why the hell WOULDN"Tt they build a pedestrian overpass from the carpark to the terminal instead of making pedestrians cross over the road (at the lights) and holding up vehicular traffic and adding to the congestion already caused by the poorly designed roads.. ..and to make matters worse they have put another pedestrain crossing up in the depatures level ... I guess they might start charging people to cross the road soon ..... Macquarie$$$$$$$$

Benjo

they did build a pedestrian overpass, best way to get to departures

Kieran Wells
27th December 2008, 06:45 PM
Sorry to bump this back to the top, but I believe this mornings fog was the first time the recently commissioned (19th December 2008) transmissometers have been used in anger in place of traditional RVR's.

It was pretty dense fog this morning...that doesn't surprise me.

I was up at Qantas drive from 6.30-8.15, and you couldn't see the airfield for most of that time! And especially eariler in the piece, some of the birds were coming through some pretty dense fog, and making their prescence known quite late. Did manage to get a few excellent shots with the fog!