PDA

View Full Version : Scared of Flying?

Mark Grima
30th March 2008, 02:08 PM
Hey guys,

I just read a amusing article in todays Sunday Tele aimed at subduing the fears of those who don't like flying. Its light hearted and focuses on all the noises that a plane makes during take offs and landings. I tried to find a link to an eletronic version but could not.

If you want a read its in the escape section.

Cheers

M

Craig Murray
30th March 2008, 09:30 PM
I hope my Mum read it, she's terrified at the prospect of flying. She did a joy ride at Seaworld a million years ago and she hated flying before it and she hated flying even after having done it! I have an obvious penchant for aviation and my sister works serving coffee at high altitude - obviously it doesn't run in the family :D

We think the cure may have been the Sydney to Brisbane return on the XPT last week that's caused her to think that she'll attempt a jet flight at some point this year.

I'd be interested to hear all the "Best ways to cure the fear of flying" stories you may have (genuine stories only!).

Adam G
30th March 2008, 10:17 PM
I'd be interested to hear all the "Best ways to cure the fear of flying" stories you may have (genuine stories only!).

I recently had the pleasure of taking a lovely lady on a Trial Intro Flight (TIF) her family had purchased for her, on her 60th birthday.

The lady had been scared of flying for her entire life & arrived in Australia on a boat many years ago - she'd never been able to go back home to see her family as she couldn't fly!

After a long chat about how the plane flys, what the controls do, what turbulance is, why things make noises/move when they do, we were off.

She successfully managed to take off & was having so much fun, we even enduldged in steep turns which she loved. She was actually amazingly calm & we had a great chat through the whole flight.

A few weeks later, I got an e-mail from the lady who said after the experience of being able to fly it & understand how it worked, she now felt much more comfortable & had booked a flight "home" later this year (in business class, the lucky girl!).

I think the experience was just as rewarding for me as it was her!

As for other things I've seen (but by no way condone!) sleeping tablets, alcohol, anti-anxity tablets, counselling & a famuly member of mine even tried sky diving!

Mark Grima
7th April 2008, 04:36 PM
I found the link!

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,23483713-5009000,00.html