PDA

View Full Version : Travelling in buisiness class with baby?

Rich W
16th October 2008, 08:38 AM
Hi there,

My wife and I are expecting our first baby in December which is all very exciting. We've also been invited to visit Fiji in May 09. By that time I should have a healthy 6 month old daughter.

I have been considering cashing in my FF points in business class one way (Air Pacific). Question is, are babies allowed in business? Im sure they are but it may be an unwritten law that may peeve other people off if the baby doesn't stop crying for the whole trip!

Has anyone done this or had any experiences with babies in business class?

Nils Kenny
16th October 2008, 10:21 AM
Babies in First & Business Class is nothing New, Working in a Travel Agency we have Clients who Travel First Class with Babies. Going to Fiji I would suggest you get on the 747 and not a 767 or 737. You will be well looked after by the crew and I sure the other passengers won't mind either........ Enjoy your Holiday.

Greg McDonald
16th October 2008, 11:12 AM
and I sure the other passengers won't mind either

You're kidding aren't you?? If I were to pay a premium class fare I'd be seriously p155ed off if I had to put up with a crying child!!!

NickN
16th October 2008, 12:25 PM
You're kidding aren't you?? If I were to pay a premium class fare I'd be seriously p155ed off if I had to put up with a crying child!!!

Thats a very poor attitude mate. People with children have just as much right to travel comfortably as you. First/business class doesn't exempt you from having to travel with young families.

As the parent of 4 young children who are regular travelers I sincerely hope not everyones attitude is the same as yours.

Sarmad Al-Khozaie
16th October 2008, 02:02 PM

I don't think airline will care about how much you pay or what you pay for!! at end of day flight is a flight and airline is going to cater for everyone and anyone.

Attitude is every un-welcoming I must say mate.

Greg McDonald
16th October 2008, 02:12 PM
Thats a very poor attitude mate. People with children have just as much right to travel comfortably as you. First/business class doesn't exempt you from having to travel with young families.

As the parent of 4 young children who are regular travelers I sincerely hope not everyones attitude is the same as yours.

I too am a parent and the issue is not that they have the right to travel comfortably (which of course they do) but also the right of everybody else around them to travel comfortably. Too many parents these days allow their children to do anything they want at the expense of everyone else. I suppose Nick that you agree with people playing their ipods so loud that it disturbs everyone else around them because its their 'right'?

Marty H
16th October 2008, 02:59 PM

AMEN brother, part of the deal when travelling, deal with it.

James Herbert
16th October 2008, 03:34 PM
My daughter is 3.5 yrs old & she has travelled in Business Class (on SQ) 8 times (4 return flights). Each time the Singapore Girls have treated her exceptionally well. She has been a pretty good flyer from day one so we are quite fortunate. But even if she did carry on a bit there is only so much you can do & if that fails then you have to wait it out....:rolleyes: :)

On a couple of our flights we have had other babies/kids in the Business cabin & they have been a little raucous, but there really isn't any point getting all fussed about it. No matter what class you travel the seats are there to be occupied by anyone of any age, so complaining about it is completely pointless, esecially as the airline is really only worried about the $$ & return patronage.

However you would have a case to complain if the rugrats were pulling interior panels off & having food fights etc.....:p

NickN
16th October 2008, 06:06 PM
I suppose Nick that you agree with people playing their ipods so loud that it disturbs everyone else around them because its their 'right'?

I can turn the volume on my iPod down mate, unfortunately children don't come equipped with the same function.

And for the record I don't agree with anybody using something within their control to disturb other passengers.

Scott L.
16th October 2008, 06:25 PM

It would be really annoying I know but... it is only public transport, with a bigger seat and a nice meal.

To overcome this problem I have a solution for you - a private jet.

Rhys Xanthis
16th October 2008, 06:38 PM
hehe i remember flying business from per->syd and then first from syd->mel in 2001 (I would've been about 10, my brother 7).

My brother acted up a bit to syd:p (still does!)

on the way to mel i think me & him were too amazed by sitting in first class, not to mention it being Nalanji dreaming VH-EBU, although it was a short 1.5 hours and mr bean was on:p!

Tom Lohdan
16th October 2008, 07:09 PM
:mad:Question is, are babies allowed in business? I'm sure they are but it may be an unwritten law that may peeve other people off if the baby doesn't stop crying for the whole trip!

Has anyone done this or had any experiences with babies in business class?

You will be given better treatment than general pax.

Yes kids/babies are welcome in all classes by all airlines. Some companies put on special flights with nannies, Emirates during the day for example, but not on this route.

Some kids cry, some don't, some might cry on take off or landing due to ear's popping, most just sleep, on a overnight flight.

While young give them a toy aircraft, and show them at the gate, the aircraft something they can identify to what is about to happen.

They might be young, but they are not dumb.

The worst you can experience is the stares of fellow pax. They look at the baby and think fark, count them as they pass :)

Most babies will cry on take off and landing, but they are often gar'ing most of the flight or asleep.

As for the fellow pax's, doesn't the noise canceling headphones come into play, even my cheap $100 Sony block out everything.

Personal experience, Lady next to me was freaking out, everyone stared her down on boarding, she started to feel sick under pressure, I said to her wait until we take off. We took off, swapped seats so she had an exit, and apart from 15 mins crying the baby was silent until landing.

As for the kids that running around an aircraft while in flight, there is the coat hanger, sorry I was just resting my arms.

Seriously, the people in business and first and know how to fly, have their kids under better control than the once off travellers.

Ryan Hothersall
16th October 2008, 09:52 PM
My daughter is 3.5 yrs old & she has travelled in Business Class (on SQ) 8 times (4 return flights). Each time the Singapore Girls have treated her exceptionally well. She has been a pretty good flyer from day one so we are quite fortunate. But even if she did carry on a bit there is only so much you can do & if that fails then you have to wait it out....:rolleyes: :)

On a couple of our flights we have had other babies/kids in the Business cabin & they have been a little raucous, but there really isn't any point getting all fussed about it. No matter what class you travel the seats are there to be occupied by anyone of any age, so complaining about it is completely pointless, esecially as the airline is really only worried about the $$ & return patronage.

However you would have a case to complain if the rugrats were pulling interior panels off & having food fights etc.....:p

I would be concerned if that was happening in any class.

As mentioned earlier, people that can travel business class probably travel more than most and probably know how to keep their kids under control.

Craig Sandford
17th October 2008, 01:25 PM
Not that it's of any value to you on a NAN flight, but but QF F Window seats in row 4 have indentations to fit basinets (quite handy for a laptop / books / newspapers / etc as I don't have kids).

Some J and Y bulkhead seats have drop down benches where you can place basinets. Generally, I've found facilities on most airlines.

I'd expect most airlines can't afford to have a potential customer drop to a lower class seat (or change airlines) because they weren't providing the service.

Finally, Fiji has been one of the most kid friendly countries I've been to. I'd be surprised if their national airline's crew didn't pamper you as soon as they see the bub.

James Herbert
20th October 2008, 09:57 AM
I would be concerned if that was happening in any class.
As mentioned earlier, people that can travel business class probably travel more than most and probably know how to keep their kids under control.

Believe me it happens. In 2007 on one of the flights home there was a kid, probably 3-4yrs sitting in seat 24A, with his Mum next to him. He was using the crayons given to him by the Singapore Girls & a black permanent marker given to him by his mother to showcase his drawing skills not on the paper but on the cabin walls. When his Mother finally stopped him he cried loudly & punched & kicked the walls for 2 straight hours. Little barsteward wouldn't stop. The point here being that when kids get into a state it is damned near impossible to stop them until they are ready to stop themselves.

But yes you & Tom are correct in saying that those that travel more frequently have a few tricks up our sleeves, as do the flight attendants. It doesn't always work but alot of bribery is a great thing....:p ;)

Gareth Forwood
27th October 2008, 10:31 PM
I remember my last flight to London (in economy... grrr), I had a kid sitting behind me kicking my seat for the whole flight and guess where his parents were - in business class!!!!! They came back once in the 14hrs from Singapore to London to check on them, and that was it!!

At least if the kids (at least the younger ones) are in business, their feet won't be able to reach the seat in front.

Mike Scott
28th October 2008, 02:39 AM
Sorry but I'm of the "opinion" that people with crying babies should either stay home until the kid is old enough not to cry or should be required to fly in economy. :) Bottom line in my book is simply why should I or any other passenger (regardless of location) be subjected to the annoying noise of a crying baby...its no different to any other type of disturbance. I paid my money and have a right to not be disturbed...just like everybody else...what right do you have to inflict your child and its associated noise/bad behavior on me or others. That said, I do understand that at a very young age babies cry for numerous reasons...some are obvious..others not and neither the parents or anyone else can really control that...they may do their very best...but are not always successful. ;)

Older kids causing trouble can be dealt with (and are) if not by their parents then by the crew....and in some cases the parents are just as guilty as their kids..and just as irresponsible. A word to parents...you may think that your child is just beautiful, perfect, adorable. what ever....the rest of us dont share that view..we dont want to hear from or about it...we dont want anything to do with it...we dont want to share your joy/pain...if you choose to bring it out in public then you own it and are responsible for any problems or disturbances it causes. Do everyone else a favor...think twice before travelling with a child in any confined space...not just an aircraft.

I'm not really anti-kid, I am anti-irresponsible and non thinking parents. Yes crying and badly behaved kids on airplanes are one of my pet peeves :mad::mad::mad:

Have a nice day

MS

NickN
28th October 2008, 08:27 AM
Sorry but I'm of the "opinion" that people with crying babies should either stay home until the kid is old enough not to cry or should be required to fly in economy. Bottom line in my book is simply why should I or any other passenger (regardless of location) be subjected to the annoying noise of a crying baby

Maybe YOU should stay home and let the parents with kids fly instead. After all they are paying for more tickets for them and their children representing larger income for the airline that you with your single ticket.

Your attitude stinks mate, people such as yourself are the main cause of intolerance in todays society.

I hazard to guess but it sounds like you have no children yourself?

Stephen Brown
28th October 2008, 09:47 AM
I'm with Mike. If you have a kid that can sit still fine, if not don't get on.

The rights of someone who just so happened to have bred don't override everyone elses.

Nick it's got nothing to do with intolerance, it's got to do with respecting other people. I respect your right to breed. I respect your right to travel freely within this world. That respect diminishes if I have paid money that I have worked hard for to go on a trip somewhere that is interrupted by whatever disturbance.

If you were sitting in business class and I started kicking the back of your seat and screaming you wouldn't like it would you? No I don't think so. So why do we excuse a child when we wouldn't excuse anyone else.

I think you need to take a step back Nick and learn about the word respect. Respect for others, respect for personal privacy and space.

Greg McDonald
28th October 2008, 10:49 AM
I'm with Mike. If you have a kid that can sit still fine, if not don't get on.

The rights of someone who just so happened to have bred don't override everyone elses.

Nick it's got nothing to do with intolerance, it's got to do with respecting other people. I respect your right to breed. I respect your right to travel freely within this world. That respect diminishes if I have paid money that I have worked hard for to go on a trip somewhere that is interrupted by whatever disturbance.

If you were sitting in business class and I started kicking the back of your seat and screaming you wouldn't like it would you? No I don't think so. So why do we excuse a child when we wouldn't excuse anyone else.

I think you need to take a step back Nick and learn about the word respect. Respect for others, respect for personal privacy and space.

Which is exactly what I was saying earlier. I think you're in the minority by a long way here Nick!!

Rhys Xanthis
28th October 2008, 02:27 PM
I kinda sit in the middle on this one.

I think if parents want to fly business or first, they probably have some sort of responsibility to ensure their childrens behaviour will be acceptable. However kids will be kids...

And I think what we have to keep in mind here as others have said before its essentially public transport at a premium, thats all.

NickN
28th October 2008, 02:32 PM
And you need to learn respect for those of us who choose to fly with our children. Respect is a 2 way street, don't think just because you travel solo you automatically earn that respect or right.

Children are children, they are at times unable to control their behaviour as they are immature. I am sure if the airlines had your opinion there would be a significant drop in the amount of families who travel and the impact would be felt through lost revenue.

From what I have seen from all the airlines I have flown they have bent over backwards to make sure children and families are well catered for and looked after.

Stephen Brown
28th October 2008, 07:54 PM
Your arguments don't seem to gel Nick. From my post I said that I certainly respect the right of parents and children to travel. But if the parents can't control their children and they impose themselves on other pax then the parents aren't respecting the private space of those other travellers.

I have sat next to, in front of, and behind children on planes. Some were good, some were bad. But in those bad times my travel experience was ruined by the lack of care from parents towards their out of control children.

Look at it like this. I respect a persons right to smoke cigarettes. Smoke away to your hearts content for all I care. BUT what I don't respect is when you breathe your smoke out and into my lungs. I made the decision not to smoke, please do not inflict your choice on me.

The same for children. I chose to work hard and at a holiday time paid the extra to treat myself by flying Business/First class. I expect that by paying the extra I am entitled to the services I paid for. Now I certainly respect the right of a fellow passenger to have children and travel with them. But when they inflict themselves onto me whether it be because of a lack of care, or a lack of control of those children, since those children are under the care of those parents, the parents are not respecting the other travelers.

I am actually of the opinion that when you travel with children and you see them crying in pain because they can't equalise the pressure in their ears that it's a form of child abuse. But that's my personal opinion.

Another of my pet hates is unaccompanied minors. I had to travel Bris to Newc sitting next to a little girl, couldn't have been more than 7 or 8, who was unaccompanied. She was so scared and frightened. She then spilled her drink and she was even more upset. What sort of a parent inflicts that on a child?? It was heartbreaking to watch, no matter how much we (myself and the FA) tried to reassure her.

It's all about respect.

Andrew P
28th October 2008, 08:48 PM
Another of my pet hates is unaccompanied minors.

Last Saturday my youngest kids (10 & 8 years old) travelled as unaccompanied minors in Y class on the QF SYD-MNL run, and will do the same on MNL-SYD flight on the 4 November.

Stephen – suggest you don’t catch that flight then, if your pet hate is unaccompanied minors

Per the flight crew, who kept me continually informed on my kids during the flight, they were excellent travellers, no problem whatsoever to anyone.

Banjo

Ps I was in J class on the same flight, but per QF rules they had to travel as unaccompanied, with all the necessary paperwork

Stephen Brown
28th October 2008, 09:34 PM
Kids in cattle, Parents in J different to kids on plane with no parents at all, which is my dislike. If your kids are well behaved then all is okay, it's the non-behaving kids that are the problem.

But then again I would never have my kids travel alone on a plane, nor let anyone else assume responsibility for them.

Mike Scott
29th October 2008, 12:41 AM
Actually Nick's right about a couple of things...my attitude towards noisy kids on planes does stink (no apology though) and no I dont have kids...nor do I want any (no apology there either). Regarding the people with the kids paying more than the single person....that maybe so too but in many cases not since the kids are travelling on frequent flier miles....earned by the parents usually through a lot of business travel flights....without the kids in tow;)

MS

Kelvin R
29th October 2008, 05:33 AM
When I was a kid I travelled on my own a few times, it was great. I also travelled with my parents a great deal as well. I was never any trouble however, not even flying from Colorado Springs to Adelaide via Los Angeles, Tahiti, Sydney (nearly) and Melbourne with a 10 hour delay out of Colorado Springs and a diversion to Melbourne instead of Sydney. I was 8 years old.

My mum had us well trained I guess but those were the days when parents took responsibility and boys will be boys wasn't socially an acceptable excuse for bad behaviour.

I generally don't have an issue with babies in business, loud mouthed Americans who stand next to your seat and bellow at their friends talking all night on QF108 is another story.

My one gripe is the trend for kids to have the wheel aboard bags of their own which are essentially empty and just consume space. I am sure a small bag which can go under the seat in front would be just as adequate. My second gripe is parents with babies who are unprepared such as refusing to place the baby bag in the overhead locker for take off and landing and not having anything for the baby to suck on for take off and landing leaving the child unable to equalise the pressure in their ears.

You can get jerks and badly behaved people on any flight in any class and I think to limit this to children is a bit unfair. I have seen many DYKWIAM's behave far worse. If I ever find myself having been allocated the bassinet row and I notice someone in a normal seat with an infant I will always offer to swap, it is just the right thing to do.

NickN
29th October 2008, 09:28 AM
Misbehaving kids has got to be better than drunken passengers who assualt flight crew and pilots and who need to be shackled to their seats:D

Stephen B
29th October 2008, 09:36 AM
Hi All,

My first post after only viewing for a long time, and thought I'd wade in on this one.

The basic theme here seems to be about respect. I've worked in various customer service positions for over 20 years, (none airline related), and respect is one thing our society today lacks severely.

I've flown quite a bit in the last three and a half years particularly, and have to say the main people who cause issues are self important business men who like to read their newspaper across all three seats, young go-getter men and women who's conversation about nothing is much more important than the safety demonstration, and all the generally ignorant fools who know they can get off first if they undo their seatbelt and get their luggage out as soon as the main wheels hit the tarmac. I've not yet had what I would call a "problem" with a child.

I too hate anyone annoying me, not just kids, anyone, and usually that person is an adult. To have the expectation that the seat you bought on the public flight which is open to any member of the travelling public entitles you to absolute privacy and complete uninterrupted comfort is ridiculous. As said in a previous post, hire a private jet. Equally so, to think you can let your kids run amuck, draw on walls and kick seats is absolutely unacceptable. Parents (AND ALL OTHER MEMBERS OF SOCIETY) need to teach their children BY EXAMPLE that a little bit of self restraint goes a long way.

It's up to us all to example basic respect to everyone, and yes that does include tolerance, especially of others who are attempting to do the right thing. Children do not have the mental capacity to behave as adults, and like it or not they require more effort and tolerance.

I have a three year old daughter who has flown, and was absolutely fine with it. We planned ahead with things for her to eat and do. She was well behaved the entire time. Unfortunately there were yet again adults on the flight who continued their conversation the entire way through the safety demo.

It's offered as public transport people, exactly the same as a bus or train. Get over it!

Scott Loveday
29th October 2008, 11:07 PM
Back in Dec 06, I travelled PER/MEL/AKL/LAX/ORD in J with a 9 month old who had a nasty ear infection. It was so bad, she was on antibiotics and we were debating whether or not to travel, but on medical advice, continued as planned.

But plan we did, making sure on every take-off, climb and descent she was drinking or at least swallowing. We had toys and various bits and pieces of entertainment for her too (not the extra wheely case though Kelvin, it was all in the wife's handbag).

Itinerary wise, we also tried to choose flight timings around sleep patterns

The amazing thing was, she did not cry at all, and I exaggerate not.

In my opinion, it's about planning effectively, then considering the needs of others as a priority to your own. If only this happened in the context of normal daily society...

On the way back, flying CX on a BKK/SIN sector, the crew were so fantastic, they asked if they could take my daughter and look after her so we could relax. She spent 30 minutes being shown off around the airplane and we managed an uninterrupted meal. They also carried our bags through the terminal in BKK and onto the aircraft.

Rhys Xanthis
29th October 2008, 11:15 PM
On the way back, flying CX on a BKK/SIN sector, the crew were so fantastic, they asked if they could take my daughter and look after her so we could relax. She spent 30 minutes being shown off around the airplane and we managed an uninterrupted meal. They also carried our bags through the terminal in BKK and onto the aircraft.

Now THATS service.

Very impressive from CX.

Andrew P
30th October 2008, 09:46 PM
Interesting on my flight today MNL-HKG on a CX 747-400 Business, upstairs

Dad, mum, a 3 year old girl & a 2 year old boy.

In the olden days the children would be placed in the seats directly next to the each parent

But with CX flat bed layout, necessary to put the child on one side of the cabin, and the parent on the other side, so he/she can see the kid during take-off landing etc.

So effectively the 2 children are on their own. During take-off not a problem.

But on landing the boy had found the chair controls, as well as the Call Button, so as we are coming into land and actually landing, the boy is having great fun pressing all the buttons, etc, and the mum could only say stop, could not move to actually stop him.

Fun

Banjo

Nick W.
31st October 2008, 06:42 AM
We flew to Fiji a few years ago on Air Pacific, and managed to get the economy seats on the upper deck. Another family came up the stairs after us, the mother and father not too impressed at how the cabin looked, and the young boy said to his mum "oh, wow! flying economy is great, we should try is again some time!"

Similarly, flying to LAX many many many years ago, we were sitting near an American family, whose children were simply going mental. The flight attendant came over to the mother and asked, very politely i must say, "could you please look after you children? we're about to take off", and the mother shot death glares at the woman and snapped "isn't that your job". You can imagine the flight attendant's reply...