PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Medicals

Ahmet H
16th October 2008, 01:58 PM
Hi Guys,

I'm nearing the end of my first Class 2 Medical Certificate which I completed 4 years ago. I've just booked an appointment with a doctor to get it renewed.

Now if my memory serves me right, 4 years ago I was charged $99 for my medical with a doctor in Melbourne. I know that there are CASA fees but i can't remember what they were at the time.

The doctor I am getting my medical done at here in Newcastle has quoted me $170. Have the prices gone up or am I getting taken for a ride? Or are they including the $75 CASA fee in it too?

Cheers in advance.

PaulL
16th October 2008, 03:19 PM
$130 for the doctor
CASA fee is $75 (it came down in price)

I hold a class 1 so mine are more expensive !!

PaulL
16th October 2008, 03:20 PM
They could be including the $75 because some doctors send the paperwork down on there account others you pay with your credit card details on the paperwork and casa charge your card.

Hmmm you sure he did not quote you for a class 1? My class 1 doctor is around that amount !

Will T
16th October 2008, 04:38 PM
Ahmet, your doctor may be collecting the CASA licence fee on their behalf, as Paul says. I'd suggest you give the doctor's receptionist a call, and find out what the actual consultation fee is, and whether that includes the CASA component or not.

For my renewals, the DAME charges me his fee, but I settle the CASA licence fee directly with them over the phone (for what it's worth, my Class 1 renewal last year involved a $132 DAME fee as well as a $75 CASA licence fee).

Ahmet H
17th October 2008, 07:30 AM
Thanks for that Guys.

I just gave them a call and another lady has quoted me $187. :confused:

It includes the CASA fee though so that is a bit of a relief.

I asked whether it was for a Class 1 or Class 2 and she said it was the same for both.

Mick F
17th October 2008, 09:18 AM
Can be dependant entirely on the doctor's consultation fee. I've gone to doctor's who charge you maybe $100 for the consult, and then I've gone to other doctor's who charge you $220 for a consult, :eek:.

The recent medical's I've had required you to fill out a CASA payment form which CASA then processes (funnily enough, always well ahead of when you receive your medical) the fee themselves.

Mick

Grahame Hutchison
17th October 2008, 07:29 PM
Don't get caught by doing your medical too early as the expiry date of the new Medical Certificate is 12months from the date of the medical examination, not 12 months from the expiry date of the old medical certificate.

I got done on my last medical by doing it early because I was traveling, only got 10 months for my money.

Mick F
17th October 2008, 08:16 PM
That's unusual Grahame, because I always get my 12 months worth (have kept the same expiry date for 5 years now), and I always do mine about 1 month before it expires.

Mick

Will T
18th October 2008, 07:24 AM
Grahame, I'd heard exactly the same thing and was expecting to see my long-standing expiry date go up in smoke, but to my surprise - and like Floody - I kept the original expiry date (extended by a year) after my renewal in August.

The current version of the CASA DAME Handbook (available online) states:

Subsequently, in the usual course of events, CASA will issue a new class 1 medical certificate valid for a further 12 months from the date of assessment.

Assessment, in this case, probably refers to that undertaken by CASA's medical section, rather than the DAME. I didn't receive my new certificate until sometime in September, while covered by the interim re-certification.

Chris Roope
18th October 2008, 11:08 AM
If the medical is done within 30 days of expiry you will get 12 months onto your old expiry date.
If it is done greater than 30 days before expiry you will get 12 months from the date of the medical.

Grant Smith
18th October 2008, 06:14 PM
I've gone to other doctor's who charge you $220 for a consult, :eek:

Did that include the paternity test Flushy :p

Will T
19th October 2008, 07:53 AM
Yeah, Chris is completely right (although it's actually 28 days), and so there seems to have been no change from the previous arrangements (CASR 67.205 refers).

There must have been some confusion at one stage about it, because I'm sure I received a communique from my employer to the effect that all medical re-certifications would now be based on the date of examination, and I remember reading a number of 'vigorous' discussions on Pprune and other forums regarding that change.

Chris Roope
19th October 2008, 08:19 AM
Will I think the confusion you're referring to was to do with the 'oldies' who had to satisfy the ICAO requirement for 6 monthly medicals. As these were not required by CASA, and were not within the 28 days, they renewed to the date of the medical every 6 months.

Will T
19th October 2008, 08:29 AM
Ahh that's exactly what it was, thanks Chris!

Ahmet H
20th October 2008, 11:51 AM
Well my expiry date was on saturday, and the closest appointment i could get was next Thursday. (That's what happens when you leave things to the last minute I guess).

Does that mean i'll get 30th October as my new expiry date or will they back date it and I keep the same 18th October date? Not that I get to fly on a regular basis but that would mean losing nearly 2 weeks of flying.

I won't be leaving it to the last minute to book an appointment again.

Will T
20th October 2008, 04:18 PM
Ahmet, in that case it would appear that the 'appropriate day' upon which your new expiry date is based will be the date of examination, rather than the pre-existing expiry date. So you'll get your full money's worth of medical certificate!

Ahmet H
21st October 2008, 07:45 AM
Thanks Will!

Because this is the first time i've renewed, do I have to wait till I get the certificate sent to me, or am I right to Fly straight away?

I'm assuming it would be the second option. Wouldn't it?

Will T
21st October 2008, 09:18 AM
Ahmet,

Normally when you renew within 28 days prior to your medical's expiry date, the DAME will extend the validity by 2 months, and stamp/sign the certificate to that effect.

In your case, however, your medical has already expired. CASR 67.225 and DAME Handbook 1.3.4 allow the DAME to give you 2 months validity from the date of assessment, provided he assesses you within 3 months of the original expiry date on your medical certificate. As soon as he signs, stamps and re-dates your medical certificate, you can fly.

Ahmet H
31st October 2008, 06:58 AM
So........I had my medical done yesturday and passed with flying colours. Got my 2 month extension from yesturday, but when going to pay for my examination, after paying the $187, was given the CASA medical form and told to fill it out and send it to CASA with payment of the $75 CASA fee.:mad:

$187 for 1 hour of the Doctors time for a class 2 medical! I think it's time to become a DAME.

Russell D
31st October 2008, 09:18 AM
$187 for 1 hour of the Doctors time for a class 2 medical! I think it's time to become a DAME.

That's exactly what I'm trying to do :p If only getting into med was a little easier...:(