PDA

View Full Version : Lifejackets

Scott L.
19th October 2008, 08:00 AM
As part of my usual paranoid routine when boarding an aircraft and getting ready to fly, I noticed there was no lifejacket under the seat. As the seat was empty next to me and there was a lifejacket present under that seat I thought nothing of it. I did however bring it to the attention of the crew during the degustation service this morning. They went a bit panicky and were extremely nervous about the situation.

My questions.

Is it not normal practice to check for these things before each flight? and
Would it necessarily ground an aircraft (for safety reasons) and delay a flight until a replacement had been sourced?

Cheers
Scott.

Brenden S
19th October 2008, 09:21 AM
Yes it is the crew's responsibility to make sure every life jacket is on the aircraft and if not to source a spare. Our F/A's are always calling us up for life jackets and seat belt extensions

Adam P.
19th October 2008, 03:51 PM
Now that's something that's always confused me. Why do people pinch aeroplane seat belt extensions????

Brenden S
19th October 2008, 04:16 PM
Its more they get lost on the aircraft and then 2 flights later they get found!

Brendan Lawrence
20th October 2008, 04:29 PM
Jetstar SOP is that our cabin crew pre-flight checks on a 'cold' aircraft (first flight of the day, aircraft returning from maintenance, or aircraft arrived off back-of-clock flight) includes a physical touch of the lifejacket pouch under every seat to ensure they're present.

Only on the A320 is it a cabin crew responsibility though. On the A321 and A330 the presence of lifejackets are checked by engineering.

We also carry spare adult lifejackets which are stowed with the infant lifejackets on every aircraft, just incase due to human error there is a seat that is missing a lifejacket or they have been stolen at some point throughout the day.

Steve Crook
1st November 2008, 11:56 PM
Brendan L can you tell me what a "back-of-clock flight" is please? I haven't heard that term before. Thanks

Marty H
2nd November 2008, 08:05 AM
Brendan L can you tell me what a "back-of-clock flight" is please? I haven't heard that term before. Thanks

Its a flight late at night bringing the term 'back of the clock' might be say a MEL-DRW-MEL that leaves at 20:00 and returns at 05:00 the next morning.

Nigel C
2nd November 2008, 08:06 AM
Steve I'm guessing it means a red-eye special, or one that's started it's journey before midnight, but lands early in the new day.

Raymond Rowe
2nd November 2008, 05:25 PM
Usually from abut 10pm till about sunrise.Anything where people are normally asleep.

Steve Crook
2nd November 2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for that fellas.

David M
7th November 2008, 08:49 AM
Now that's something that's always confused me. Why do people pinch aeroplane seat belt extensions????

See Adam, it's not just the WYA pax that need them! If the nation keeps getting larger in the waist, then maybe extension belts will be supplied for every seat! :eek:

David.M.