PDA

View Full Version : Suspected drunk United Airlines pilot arrested at Heathrow

Phillippe M
20th October 2008, 06:58 PM
Suspected drunk United Airlines pilot arrested at Heathrow
From correspondents in London October 20, 2008 06:42pm

A UNITED Airlines pilot has been arrested on a plane at London's Heathrow airport on suspicion of being over the legal alcohol limit.
The airline said the 44-year-old pilot was removed from service and that said it would co-operate with police inquiries and was conducting its own investigation of the incident.

"At approximately 9am (7pm Sunday AEDT) on Sunday, officers attended an aircraft at Heathrow Terminal One and arrested a 44-year-old man,'' a spokeswoman for the Metropolitan Police said.

The spokeswoman, who declined to name the man in keeping with force policy, said he had been bailed to return to Heathrow police station on January 16.

"United's alcohol policy is among the strictest in the industry and we have no tolerance for abuse of violation of this well-established policy,'' United Airlines said.

"Safety is our No. 1 priority and the pilot has been removed from service while we are co-operating with authorities and conducting a full investigation.''

According to The Sun (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1830926.ece)newspaper, the man was a first officer and was due to fly to San Francisco before he was arrested.

The legal limit of alcohol for pilots is 9mcg per 100ml of breath, compared to the British drink-drive limit, which is 35mcg per 100ml of breath.

http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,24525329-5014090,00.html

Tom Lohdan
20th October 2008, 07:21 PM
Atleast they were not mooning off a bridge :)

NickN
21st October 2008, 10:39 AM
Explains why their 747's tend to take off in such an agressive manner compared to other operators! Watching their 747's depart out of Sydney is amazing.

Mike W
21st October 2008, 11:15 AM
Explains why their 747's tend to take off in such an agressive manner compared to other operators! Watching their 747's depart out of Sydney is amazing.

I think you'll find that UA839 extending on to MEL leaves with less than half a load so it takes off like a scalded cat becuase it can. :cool:

Bernie P
21st October 2008, 12:30 PM
I think you'll find that UA839 extending on to MEL leaves with less than half a load so it takes off like a scalded cat becuase it can. :cool:

They do have a bit of a longer go at it when returning home though... I remember a video once of a departure out of SYD with almost all of the runway...

Mike W
21st October 2008, 09:18 PM
They do have a bit of a longer go at it when returning home though... I remember a video once of a departure out of SYD with almost all of the runway...

Amazing how a bit more of a load subdues a Cowboy's horse
:p