PDA

View Full Version : Board software upgrade - 24th October

Will T
24th October 2008, 07:48 AM
As some of you may have noticed, we performed an upgrade to the Board's vBulletin software this morning. This upgrade plugged a number of security issues, and added several new features to boot.

We're currently going through the list of available new features, and working out which ones we want to leave enabled, and which ones are better off in the bin. In any case, you may notice several (mainly cosmetic) changes to things such as User Profiles, Private Messaging etc.

As always, please take a moment to ensure that your User Profile and personal settings (accessible via the 'User CP' link) are up-to-date. Please note that the new software will no longer permit users to have a password that matches their username.

Finally, please post any bug reports or general feedback to this thread.

Philip Argy
24th October 2008, 09:46 AM
Not sure how it's being done or whether it's user configurable, but the masking of the letters s, h, i and t when they occur in that sequence in the middle of a legitimate word like ****ake mushroom or Matsu****a Electric is silly. Although the company is officially called Panasonic from 1 October 2008, the French would still say, "merde alors!".

Nigel C
24th October 2008, 11:57 AM
Apart from one of Grahame's trip reports perhaps, I'm trying to work out when the word's "s h i take mushroom" would be used on the forum.;):confused:

:D

Philip Argy
24th October 2008, 12:59 PM
I can imagine a trip report where the catering was recorded in some detail but I accept that the ingredients I had in mind would have to be spelled incorrectly to fall foul of the board's ********** censor. :)

Grant Smith
24th October 2008, 01:41 PM
Either deal with it or come up with a way to get around it...

It's hardly rocket science...

Nigel C
24th October 2008, 01:49 PM
Well, I don't know of any rocket scientists on the board, do you?

Perhaps we DO need one?;)

David Knudsen
24th October 2008, 02:40 PM
I can imagine a trip report where the catering was recorded in some detail but I accept that the ingredients I had in mind would have to be spelled incorrectly to fall foul of the board's ********** censor. :)

Basically it only has options to block a whole word, or part of a word.. the only way around it would be to come up with every way you could use the word s***, like bull****, ****face etc, and block those, so we'd all be free to call Panasonic by its lesser known name and talk about mushrooms!

Will T
8th February 2009, 04:20 PM
I updated the software this afternoon. So far, so good, but please report any bugs!

Cheers, Will

Philip Argy
8th February 2009, 08:44 PM
Bet I still can't write about Matsu****a Electric Company, Will! :)

David Knudsen
9th February 2009, 09:59 AM
Bet I still can't write about Matsu****a Electric Company, Will! :)

Luckily Philip the board of said company approved a change in company name to "Panasonic Corporation" , which became effective from the 01/10/08 :D

Philip Argy
10th February 2009, 07:26 AM
Yes, I noted that at http://yssyforum.net/board/showpost.php?p=15015&postcount=2 but it's because they couldn't bear having their name mashed on this Board. :)