PDA

View Full Version : Daylight saving change causes confusion?

Robert Zweck
30th March 2008, 07:12 PM
I caught the tail end of a news item on the ABC tonight which seemed to say that Daylight Saving changeovers caused chaos in the Qantas computer network this morning.

Some states changed, others didn't.

The first few Qantas flights ex ADL this morning were seriously delayed.

Any thoughts?

Bob C
30th March 2008, 08:20 PM
Gee Robert, I hope not.

The Eastern States and the airlines have had more than 30 years experience with Daylight Saving so you think they would get it right, especially when States changeover at different times. For example, in the summer of 2006/07W A commenced a trial of Daylight Savings from December 2006, several weeks after the eastern states changed over and it didn't give any problems then.

It finished in WA this morning and I think finishes next weekend in NSW but I don't know about Vic, Tas and SA and the ACT.

D Chan
30th March 2008, 08:28 PM
This day light saving thing is just annoying. I wish they could just lock it in as the current time. (GMT +11).

Does it make sense for people living on the affected timezone states to have to put up with adjusting their clocks every 6 months?

Simon Hoby
30th March 2008, 08:34 PM
Apparently some phones on the Telstra network had issues with this. If the user had set their phone to acquire it's time from the tower it was connected to, then the phone may get and incorrect time.

DST is running a week longer this year and all states are finishin at the same time, next Sunday morning at 0200hrs I believe.

One news site even called it a "...mini Y2K". Pfft!!! :mad: I worked on Y2K and this is nothing like it.

Simon.

Mick F
30th March 2008, 09:13 PM
Move to Queensland, :rolleyes:.

Nigel C
30th March 2008, 09:16 PM
Why? I like my curtains better when they've faded.

Craig Murray
30th March 2008, 09:21 PM
Don't move to Queensland, we enjoy not having that extra hour of sunshine every day.

Seriously, some of the excuses up here for not introducing it are pretty lame. Anything that assists in combating sunrise occuring at 0430 has got to be a good thing right?

:D

Grahame Hutchison
30th March 2008, 10:17 PM
Queenslanders never wanted daylight saving because they believed the sun shone out of JO BJELKE-PETERSEN backside, and he was not going to get up that early in the morning for anyone.

Don't you worry about that.

Montague S
30th March 2008, 10:44 PM
I hear he used to get up early for Flo's pumpkin scones... :D

Brenden S
31st March 2008, 11:12 AM
NT and QLD don't have Daylight Saving.
NSW,ACT,VIV,TAS,SA are extending for a extra week to be inline with New Zealand
WA ended there's yesterday and it was weird last night working. Pitch black at 7pm!
WA are ending there daylight saving 2 weeks earlier next year.

Justin L
31st March 2008, 11:52 AM
I flew out of ADL this morning on DJ bound for SYD and got to the terminal at 4.45am for a 6.00am flight. The Blue Check kiosks were all off line and said "available from 4.00am". At 5.00am precisely they turned on. There were also no check-in staff until 5.00am at the counters and a long line of people waiting. I later overheard three DJ staff talking at the gate between themselves saying there was nothing they could do because the computers wouldn't let them log on.

But, we took off on time and actually got into Sydney 10 minutes early!

Darren Butterworth
31st March 2008, 06:10 PM
Like a few lately, long time reader, first time poster. Great to be here.

Back in June 07 in NSW the Premier announced that we'd be getting an extra three weeks at the beginning and one at the end of the 07/08 period. Only poblem was, I don't think he told Microsoft in any great hurry and they had to push through a patch to fix the new dates.

I deselected my 'Automatically adjust clock for daylight saving changes' in the date and time properties on my work notebook today and seems to have fixed it.

Only a few more days to go anyways.

Ash W
31st March 2008, 09:05 PM
That seems to have been the biggest problem over the weekend, PC's changing a week early due to the software rules being wrong because of the changes. The same is true of most modern mobile phones. My Nokia N73 changed over on Sunday morning. Lucky for me I live in the UK, so the change was correct. But if I were to look at the time in Sydney on the phone ot now shows Sydney being an hour earlier than it really is. Next week it will be all right.

So guess the moral is it is fine for the pollies to change the dates etc, but anyone who has equipment or software that pre-dates the changes needs to be aware.

Brendan Lawrence
31st March 2008, 09:25 PM
Yes well I am so annoyed at whoever decided to extend daylight saving time by one lousy week!! :mad: What difference is a week going to make to anyone or anything?? Besides confusing a lot of people this weekend (just gone).

Like many people probably, my Nokia mobile phone automatically reset to standard time on Sunday morning without me knowing and I had totally forgot that there had been a shift to the end of DST and didn't think that my phone would have made the early switch. I stayed the night at a friend's place and therefore had to rely on my mobile as an alarm clock and luckily I glanced over at the traditional wall clock and noticed a discrepancy with the time!

I went into a frenzy as to whether daylight savings had actually finished or not, had to Google what the time was because the computer's time may have been tricked as well, and then upon realising the actual time had to shower and get ready for work in the quickest time I've ever done, tear up the freeway, and fortunately was only 4 minutes late to preflight briefing with the other crew for my Townsville return.

I wasn't alone - apparently a number of other cabin crew including a few close friends of mine had also been caught out by the same thing earlier that morning and rocked up 1 hour late to their shifts, which with a -45 sign-on time would have possibly delayed aircraft departures!

Perhaps the government could have issued a release to the media reminding them of their pointless 1 week extension to DST so that the public could have been made aware of mobile phones or computers feeding them the wrong time?

Hehe, sorry, just a bit of a rant from someone who got bit on the a*** by this! :D