PDA

View Full Version : Hoxton Park aerodrome closure

Robert Zweck
20th November 2008, 07:12 AM
Does anyone know when it will close? Anyone have any aerial shots?

I have fond memories of the place back in 1971-72 when I landed there very frequently on my way from Bankstown to Camden.

Peter Agatsiotis
20th November 2008, 07:29 AM
Did a few 'touch & go's' myself when I was training out of Bankstown with Navair in 1991/92.

The airfield was meant to close next month and the whole site destined for housing etc.

I did hear recently that whoever 'bought' the airfield may pull out because of the housing slump and there was talk of a group buying the site and keeping it is an airfield!

Other members may have more recent/definite news.

Matt_L
20th November 2008, 08:39 AM
Hi guys,
Hoxton Park is closing on the 15th December at 11pm.
A fly in for the last time is organized I think on the 15th but info is on this website
http://pilot.net.au/hoxtonpark/.
Indeed very sad to see it go, I was just doing some circuits there 2 days ago and there was about 7 or 8 aircraft in circuit and helicopters so it is definitely a vital component to Sydney flight training in addition to bankstown. As some have suggested, the 16/34 runway configuration is also unique in that it is aligned like Sydney Kingsford smith's main runways but the main thing is that after hoxton is gone there will be no alternates just near Bankstown for a North South config incase of high winds presenting themselves. Hopefully Camden and Bankstown remain open as a few tenants are already fighting over hangar leases and the sort such as Clamback and Hennesy at Bankstown on Tower Road.

Adam P.
20th November 2008, 10:08 AM
If Ewan doesn't mind me pulling an old one of his from the archives....

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee27/kookabat/IMG_7567.jpg

YHOX a few years ago, overflying enroute to the Sydney Airport Message Board Non-Flying-Related Trip To Moruya...

Grahame Hutchison
20th November 2008, 07:09 PM
I have dropped in a couple of times in the past month for a few circuits on my way back to Bankstown. It brought back memories of my first landing there back on the 22nd December 1968 in C150 VH-KQL and then again on 5th January 1969 in C150 VH-KPQ. On the first occasion the C150 had no door on the pilots side so it was an interesting, if somewhat windy and noisy trip out there (I double checked the seat belt).

The next visit was on 21st December 1969 in C172 VH-IAG after moving up a notch from the old C150.

It will be a great shame to see it close at year end, both from a safety and training point of view, the location was perfect in relation to Bankstown.

Definitely not progress and another nail in the box for GA in the Sydney area.

David C
21st November 2008, 06:41 AM
I have been advised by very reliable sources that have aircraft hangared at Hoxton Park that the closure date is " officially " the 15th December , however , the same person also said that they have to vacate their hangar (311) by the 25th November . The surprising development to the saga is that the whole site is now up for sale for only 20 Million !! . Skytrack Express are rumoured to be interested in setting up an aircargo base there , however a 1000M runway seems a little short to me for those type of operations , and being as most of the action would be overnight I can imagine to public opposition to such a proposal . The good news is that the Bi-monthly BBQ will continue but at its new venue of Wedderburn , dates to be finalised . Intersting times ahead !!

Joseph D
22nd November 2008, 05:51 PM
The fuel bowsers have apparently been ripped up and Hoxton Park Aerodrome has been delisted off the ERSA. The end is very near.

Adam P.
16th December 2008, 04:58 PM
Anyone else present as the last rites were read out over the CTAF yesterday afternoon by a bloke from BAL?

A very sad moment.

Grahame Hutchison
16th December 2008, 08:09 PM
Farewell Hoxton.

Ray Ellis
17th December 2008, 09:45 AM
I went past there yesterday (16th) and they have started to rip up the runway

Ray ...

Ken D
18th December 2008, 02:33 PM
Drove past today and the runway is just a big pile of ripped up asphalt today from one end to the other. They didn't waste any time.

Ken

Grahame Hutchison
18th December 2008, 04:52 PM
Guess they want to make sure that no one attempts to land there.

Joseph D
18th December 2008, 07:12 PM
Does anyone have any pictures of the ripped up runway?

Adam P.
21st December 2008, 07:04 AM
It's a sad sight, you might want to be sitting down when you have a look... :(

You'll find it on this PPRuNe post (http://www.pprune.org/d-g-general-aviation-questions/354622-goodbye-hoxton-park-3.html#post4601870).

Grahame Hutchison
21st December 2008, 12:54 PM
I was out along the Northern Beaches this morning in BVM, didn't bother with the Harbour Scenic 1 as there was too much haze and low cloud, but I did detour to Hoxton Park as I returned via Prospect.

Although I was by myself, I managed a quick photograph out the pilot side vent window, it still looks like a runway from 1500ft, however they have obviously done something to the bitumen surface (see Adams link above for a close up of ground level damage). I have highlight the old runway number at the northern end with a red circle, the piano keys are still slightly visible, and there are two or three small white crosses, one also highlighted, to indicate that the airport is closed.

http://www.16Right.com/MessageBoard/D300-2008-12-21_003.jpg

Nigel C
21st December 2008, 04:17 PM
Good ol' BVM. How is the old girl flying these days? It was probably the best Warrior I have flown.

Grahame Hutchison
21st December 2008, 04:23 PM
Hi Nigel,

A friend of mine purchased the aircraft earlier this year and has had the interior completely re-furbished (the interior was crap when he bought it but the paintwork was not bad). He also fitted a Garmin 430 so it is quite a nice little aricraft now. It still has the RAAF roundels on it and the old Roulettes livery (orange and white).

Today was the first time I have flown it, and it flies very true and performs well. I really enjoyed the aircraft.

I believe a lot of people have learnt on BVM, I have bumped into a few.

Nigel C
21st December 2008, 04:39 PM
The internal trim was probably a little past its prime when I last flew it, but as you said it is a nice handling aircraft. It used to get a lot of work at Aero Training Camden and Camden Aviation.

Grahame Hutchison
21st December 2008, 05:02 PM
Still looking good and the interior is all new.
http://www.16Right.com/MessageBoard/D300-2008-11-01_012.jpg

Nigel C
21st December 2008, 06:00 PM
Ah the memories! Is it available for general hire still?

Grahame Hutchison
21st December 2008, 07:19 PM
It's with Schofields at the moment.

Nigel C
22nd December 2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks. Are there any Schofields instructors here????