PDA

View Full Version : Planeplotter HELP!!!!

Andrew Neil
5th January 2009, 02:47 PM
Just got myself and registered Planeplotter.

My question is, how real time is it?

While listening to the radio, i cant seem to find any of the aircraft actually speaking. I know that not all aircraft are picked up but the Qantas, virgin etc are.

I hear "direct to katoomba" and look on pp and never see it

am i doing somethingg wrong

NickN
5th January 2009, 03:22 PM
I have PlanePlotter and can possibly assist.

The server transmits data every 60 seconds from memory, so yes it is real time, as real time can get I suppose. In between transmissions of data the aircraft continue to proceed onsceen. PlanePlotter predicts their course based on the last information supplied. So for example if say QF12 was traveling 360 at FL200 at 444 kts the program will continue plotting the aircraft on that track at that speed at that altitiude until the next transmission comes in 60 seconds.

Dont forget, only ADS-B enabled aircraft appear on PlanePlotter, aircraft who don't have this you will obviously still hear on your scanner but not see on screen. In your settings make sure you check all the boxes so that PP displays all aircraft at ALL altitudes and increase the time the trails stay on screen. When I get home I'll do a screen dump of my settings screen and post it for you so you can make sure yours are the same.

NickN
5th January 2009, 09:00 PM
Here is what my settings are hope it helps......

http://nicknavarro.smugmug.com/photos/449278668_rkSZ4-L.jpg

Michael Mak
5th January 2009, 10:27 PM
I can confirm PlanePlotter is real time. Just saw QF21 SYD-NRT VH-QPF flying over my house near Bankstown Airport and looking up on PlanePlotter, it shows the exact same thing.

Rhys Xanthis
6th January 2009, 03:08 AM
I can confirm PlanePlotter is real time. Just saw QF21 SYD-NRT VH-QPF flying over my house near Bankstown Airport and looking up on PlanePlotter, it shows the exact same thing.

I *really* have to get a copy, especially since we are going to Europe in June - could be interesting if i can set it up properly and some people have some decoders in the area.

Noel White
6th January 2009, 05:45 AM
Andrew, welcome to the PlanePlotter world. As Nick and Michael posted, the information PP receives from the COAA server is in real time (plus 60 secs as the server updates).

You will only see those a/c fully ADS-B equipped transmitting lat & lon data and whether a sharer is uploading data from their SBS-1 or RadarBox at the time you are viewing.

Cheers,

Noel
(PP sharer code oW)

Andrew Neil
6th January 2009, 06:51 AM
thanks for the help.
Its money well spent now. I live in Katoomba and have been busy watching it and then looking up!!

NickN
6th January 2009, 08:23 AM
Glad to see you got it up and running mate. I am glued to it some days awesome fun.

Gareth Forwood
6th January 2009, 08:50 AM
After a while of using PP I'm still having trouble setting up a decent map - all I have is the awful default thing. Could anyone please give me some step-by-step instructions for setting this up?

NickN
6th January 2009, 09:01 AM
From the PP site you can download a fully calibrated map for SE Oz and Australia too which shows jet airways, vectors the whole lot.

Gareth Forwood
6th January 2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks Nick! For those interested, the link is http://www.mantma.co.uk/pp_maps_eu.html

One more thing, do you know if more than one map can be displayed at once? I downloaded the SE Australia map, and also the detailed sydney map, but can't get them together...

NickN
6th January 2009, 11:12 AM
Unfortunately no, one map at a time from what I know. However if you store your maps in the allocated folder you can switch between maps very quickly.

Andrew Neil
6th January 2009, 06:03 PM
If anyone is thinking about getting it, dont worry about the free trial because it is a waste of time, pay the 50 (DO NOT USE A VISA CARD OR MASTER CARD AS IT WILL LOCK YOUR ACCOUNT, but easy fix and they know that AU clients have problems with it) EFT into the NAB account and GO FOR IT. Well worth the money.

I have 3 maps saved, Sydney, SE1 with is Sydney up north a bit, outpast katoomba and south to SLS and SE which is Melbourne up to Sydney and Brisbane

You can click through easly

Money well spent

NickN
7th January 2009, 09:43 AM
I paid with VISA and it didn't affect my account.

And yes the trial version isn't functional at all, it doesn't allow you to connect to the server.

Karl M
1st March 2009, 12:13 PM
I paid with VISA and it didn't affect my account.

And yes the trial version isn't functional at all, it doesn't allow you to connect to the server.

I just downloaded the unregisterd version of PP. Any you are correct Nick, cant seem anywhere to connect to a server.

My question is, once I pay, how do I connect to a server & is it easy to setup?

Thanks

Gerard M
1st March 2009, 01:01 PM
Ive got the registered version and it works fine, but when i go to the review tab and try look at all registrations nothing comes up. Is that because i don't have a live feed like my own sbs etc or are the settings wrong?

Also, Nick, i couldn't find that fully calibrated map on the PP website?

Thanks

Gerard

David Wilkie
1st March 2009, 01:37 PM
I just downloaded the unregisterd version of PP. Any you are correct Nick, cant seem anywhere to connect to a server.

My question is, once I pay, how do I connect to a server & is it easy to setup?

Thanks

In the registered version you click on the circle/start button (turns green)
Then you click on the share button (next to the little globe) until you get
2 arrows facing opposite directions. It should now be working.

Copy the attached jpg file into the charts folder and then go - file-open chart in PP
You can zoom in and out on the map. Just click the little globe icon to reload the map.

Also under options-directories. Make sure the chart & log directories are pointing to
where you installed PP. Otherwise the maps won't refresh

Gareth Forwood
1st March 2009, 03:26 PM
I also just found a way to view PlanePlotter in google earth. Once you have PlanePlotter up and running, and aircraft are displaying, go to Start >> PlanePlotter >> Google aircraft

It will then open Google Earth (assuming you have it installed of course) and display all the aircraft with almost perfect locations. It also shows aircraft on the ground that have just arrived or are soon to depart, so you can even see their taxi progress.

Gerard M
1st March 2009, 08:04 PM
I also just found a way to view PlanePlotter in google earth. Once you have PlanePlotter up and running, and aircraft are displaying, go to Start >> PlanePlotter >> Google aircraft

It will then open Google Earth (assuming you have it installed of course) and display all the aircraft with almost perfect locations. It also shows aircraft on the ground that have just arrived or are soon to depart, so you can even see their taxi progress.

I tried this and i have re-installed the lastest version of google earth and i cant seem to get it to work. I can see the PP icon on the menu on the left hand side though?

Gerard

David Wilkie
1st March 2009, 08:12 PM
I tried this and i have re-installed the lastest version of google earth and i cant seem to get it to work. I can see the PP icon on the menu on the left hand side though?

Gerard

You have to enable the google earth server in the i/o settings in PP

Gerard M
1st March 2009, 08:24 PM

Thanks for that David, now its working.

Gerard

Gareth Forwood
2nd March 2009, 09:35 AM

Sorry about forgetting that, I set it up ages ago then forgot about it...

Carsten Bauer
28th June 2010, 01:51 PM
Hi all,

I've joined the planeplotter train too now.
Was wondering if there was a sector GPX file for all of Australia?
I'm still new to this, and always have to click the OSM button once I pan around.

I'm aware of Google Earth also, but would like to keep everything in 1 program.

Cheers

Noel White
28th June 2010, 03:47 PM
G'day Carsten,

Welcome to the World of PP. Are you uploading data or just downloading?

I don't know of anybody who has prepared a GPX file for the whole of Australia. I have made up a file for the upper level air routes and waypoints for the NSW area. Also included in the file are all the Australian VORs. I used the EasyGPS software to make up the file. You can use the program to add your own waypoints and routes as required.

PM me if you want a copy.

BTW, you can save our OSM charts so you don't have to download them again.

Cheers,

Noel
(PP sharer code "nW")

Carsten Bauer
28th June 2010, 05:25 PM
hi noel. Just downloading at this stage. Will be uploading hopefully from perth in a few months. Awaiting strata approval for my rig. I'll look into the gpx stuff a bit tonight. I did use the data from the ersa to put all the ifr waypoints into google earth so i hopefully should be able to do the same with gpx. Then just a matter of putting in the coastline and airports and shes banging :-)

Matt D
28th June 2010, 08:45 PM
Carsten, this link might have what you are looking for. The maps have a similar look to TAAATS screens

http://www.mantma.co.uk/pp_files/pp_map_au_sector_files_map.zip

Matt

Carsten Bauer
28th June 2010, 08:53 PM
Thanks Matt, this is what I wanted.
Is it possible to use a vector based file rather than bitmap based? Eg, when you zoom in and out and pan, it resizes the map?
Would this be what I need EasyGPS and the gpx file for?
I basically want to have it setup so I can pan/zoom without having to reset the background.

Cheers,

Carsten

Donald H
28th June 2010, 09:28 PM
You can make your own maps derived from google earth.

Set up GE to whatever/wherever you want & then save the screen as a jpg. Don't forget to rid the GE screen of any superfluous info before saving!

Open the saved map in PP.

Select Options/Map Calibration/Add Calibration Point (Or toolbar 2 red circles) & fill in the info with Degrees, Decimal Minutes as indicated in GE.

e.g. Using google earth zoomed in to YSSY at 16R/25 = S33 56.470 E151 10.479. Add 3 or 4 points around the map, save & you should be good to go.

Have fun & practice :) . Using this method gives good maps at *your* screen res.

Matt D
29th June 2010, 08:54 PM
Matt, .... Is it possible to use a vector based file rather than bitmap based? Eg, when you zoom in and out and pan, it resizes the map?
Would this be what I need EasyGPS and the gpx file for?

Hi Carsten, Unfortunately I don't know but hopefully someone on the forum familiar with planeplotter can point you in the right direction.

Matt

Rick K
29th June 2010, 11:17 PM
You can also self-generate satellite or street maps once you have the basic area in your screen.
To generate satellite click on small globe next to OSM on your toolbar, and for street maps click on OSM.
If you then want to resize or zoom, do so, then regenerate selected satellite or street map.
Once your selection downloads then save by clicking on File then save restore point to your selected A, B, C or D

Rick K

Grahame Hutchison
30th June 2010, 06:31 PM
OSM is the way to go.