PDA

View Full Version : Flying Schools

Lukas M
3rd April 2008, 08:33 AM
Guys, I am interested in starting some Flight Training, in Melbourne*. Can anyone reccomend a place, that is a excellent place to learn flying(anyone had previous experience)?? I would like to aim for my SPL (only 18)
Any Help would be really appreciated,

*Would not like to go to Morrabin, as to far to travel (essendon, tulla, avalon, geelong)

Thanks Guys
Lukas;)

Adrian B
3rd April 2008, 08:39 AM
Where do you live Lucas?

Lukas M
3rd April 2008, 08:47 AM
In Geelong, very easy transport to Melb, and i would prefer to go to Mel anyway, but Moorabin is pushing it a bit

Adrian B
3rd April 2008, 08:55 AM
Avalon has no GA traffic, and probably never will. Is there schools run out of Geelong? Or is there something wrong with them. One thing to consider is that schools at busy or major fields (ie Essendon and Moorabbin) ) will have higher fees and charges due to infrastructure. Landing fdees etc may be higher.

Have you tried somehere like Barwon Heads or Geelong, even Bacchus Marsh. Obviously it depends on your transport situation.

Mick F
3rd April 2008, 09:42 AM
Why are you only aiming for your SPL?

Alex G
3rd April 2008, 09:55 AM
You've ruled out Moorabbin so there goes my suggestion!

If your going to try Essendon, try Pearson. A mate went there and reckoned it was pretty good.

Avalon does not have any GA schools so you can take that off your list.

Theres an aero club at Point Cook. Another mate went there, said it was good too- he's now on a Herc in the RAAF.

Not sure on places like Geelong/Barwon/bacchus etc, but im confident in saying that there would be at least one or two places to learn out of that selection of places.

The most important thing for you to do is go and see potential schools and talk to them, see what is on offer and how you feel with them. When you get down to say, 2, a Trial Flight with each might make your mind up for you.
Remember, you are the customer purchasing their product. You have to be satisfied how your money is being spent! You have to be comfortable with whereever you are flying and not feel as though you are being overly pushed.

If there are any specifics, just ask away and i'm sure we can help you out somehow!

Lukas M
3rd April 2008, 12:13 PM
Well as this is my final year of school:D:D, and am wanting to do "Bach of Aviaton" or "Advanced Diploma of Aviation"(in 2009), and was told at a session that its easier to get into these courses if you have had experience. So I would at least aim for my SPL first, then progress on:rolleyes:

I have narrowed it down to:
-National Aerospace Training
-Pearsons Aviation
(both at essendon)
As much im dreading the fees, the earlier I get into flying, the better It will be in the long run:)

Daniel G
3rd April 2008, 12:46 PM
Isn't an SPL what they give you after you pay your fee to CASA, without any flying experience?

Or are we talking about a GFPT here?

Lukas M
3rd April 2008, 12:47 PM
I dont know, im about to do some reasearch into the whole "flying" thing:D

Adrian B
3rd April 2008, 01:13 PM
I will offer one piece of advice. Go and get your medical before you get too far in. I was grounded after about 6 miths due to an irroperable eye condition. At least I didnt get too far into the career, but I do miss it.

Russell D
4th April 2008, 07:07 PM
Hi Lukas. I'm also in Yr 12. Where are you going to do your "Bachelor of Aviation" at? Pardon my ignorance but up until your post, my careers adviser and my independent research has shown that the only such degree is at University of New South Wales in Sydney (where I live) if you exclude the whole ADF experience thing using ADFA.

Adam G
4th April 2008, 09:13 PM
I would suggest your Career Advisor hasn't considered looking outside NSW, in 20 seconds on Google I found the below links to Griffith Uni's, ECU's & Swinburne - note the Griffith & Swinburne ones are the 2 for the QF Cadetship.

http://http://www17.griffith.edu.au/cis/p_cat/programsubarea.asp?cat=Science&subcat=aviation&display=open

http://aviation.ecu.edu.au/

http://www.swin.edu.au/aviation/

Lukas M
5th April 2008, 07:47 AM
Hi Lukas. I'm also in Yr 12. Where are you going to do your "Bachelor of Aviation" at? Pardon my ignorance but up until your post, my careers adviser and my independent research has shown that the only such degree is at University of New South Wales in Sydney (where I live) if you exclude the whole ADF experience thing using ADFA.

I am from VIC

Russell D
6th April 2008, 12:13 PM
Thanks Adam, I checked out the links and they were very helpful. For one thing its at least broadened my tertiary education options. Swinburne and Griffith seem pretty darn good, right up there with UNSW, and so too ECU, although its a fair way away in Perth from Sydney.

I'm guessing you're looking primarily at Swinburne then Lukas?

Lukas M
6th April 2008, 12:17 PM
Absolutley, either the UNI(3yrs), or TAFE(2yrs), I dont really care, as they are very similar

So if I get a crap Enter Score, I can still get into the TAFE Flying course

Radi K
6th April 2008, 05:52 PM

I hope that attitude doesn't relate to both your high school and tertiary/flying studies.

Work hard and get the results - it will be worth it.

Lukas M
6th April 2008, 06:22 PM
30% through the school year, and UNI is still in the running:)

Lachlan Hare
6th April 2008, 07:21 PM
Absolutley, either the UNI(3yrs), or TAFE(2yrs), I dont really care, as they are very similar

I resent these comments as I'm doing the TAFE Flying Course this year and I got an ENTER of 87.25. I chose the TAFE course on the length of it and I'm one term in and absolutely loving it. I see some of the Uni students and they are always complaining about not flying much and all the lectures on HPL where as at TAFE, we have a pre-flight or lesson from 0830 until 1130 or 1200 and then fly in the afternoon for an hour.

Mick F
6th April 2008, 08:03 PM
Why do you all seem to think that getting your commercial pilot licence through a Uni or TAFE is the only option??

You can simply walk up to the flying school, pay the same money (if not less because you only do what YOU need to do), and have your CPL inside of one year.

You all need to do a lot more homework I think.

Floody

Matt_L
6th April 2008, 08:53 PM
Floody I think this can be attributed to the influence of America where there are huge colleges there such as Embry-Riddle Aeronautical College in the US and various other unis etc where its been a norm to get cpl etc and learn at a uni, with perception there that a degree will aid job prospects etc

Whilst these arent essential for airlines like direct entry to qf or the cadetships a uni course couldnt hurt and in some cases are preferential in applications (but in these times of a pilot shortage it is less important imho) but i agree somewhat a 3 yr course is a bit ardous if not a cadetship with an airline or guaranteed employment, after all there is the opportunity to do a uni course once established and in an airline via long distance or even part time as many airline/commercial pilots do. But I have no problems with these courses and most are very good,
but then again I wont ask you about cadetships floody coz we know what you think :)

Thats my take anyways,
Matt

Nick W.
6th April 2008, 09:18 PM
You all need to do a lot more homework I think.

Exactly right, Floody. We all know that there are some of us out there with plans for their flying careers and have goals which require a degree to help with management or so forth. However, I have been approached so many times by friends and friends of friends who ask me about all these elaborate schemes to get their PPL, but they all seem amazed when I say "just go to a flying school and book a lesson".

That's how I started, and that's what I'm still doing. Often there are plans for the process, but it will work around your timetable and so forth. Many people I know have gotten their licences through flying schools, then go on and do a uni or tafe course part-time, often funded by their flying.

Like I said, my career prospects lie differently to the ones I just described. I, personally, have always enjoyed education and intend to keep that process going for as long as I can, so a university programme works well with my goals for after this year. However, it's not the only way, especially if you want a rating that fits around your schedule and is (often, but not always) a bit cheaper.

Just my 2 cents...

Nick

Alex G
7th April 2008, 08:31 AM
Uni/Tafe isnt a requirement if you want to fly. That path is probably costlier and longer than just going to the flying school and doing it all yourself.

Of course, if you WANT to do a course on top of the flying then that is ultimately the choice of you yourself.
It may or may not help with your chances of a job; it may or may not give you something youd really want to fall back on. Either way its your choice so you have to be happy.

Personally my advice is get out there and do it yourself as thats what i did and so far its gone well enough.... Others will obviously advise other ways- weigh up the options and decide for yourself. Just remember to enjoy the training!

Lukas M
7th April 2008, 09:02 AM
Swinburne in Melbourne is in conjunction with QANTAS:)

Mick F
7th April 2008, 10:20 AM
Yes, it is, and it's for the cadets. So you need to qualify for the cadetship first.

Floody

Greg McDonald
7th April 2008, 12:28 PM
You can simply walk up to the flying school, pay the same money (if not less because you only do what YOU need to do), and have your CPL inside of one year.

Floody

Only if Mummy or Daddy can kick in the 70K needed for the licences!! It seems all those checking out the Uni or TAFE route are looking at it straight from school. I don't know of anyone that could afford to go straight to flying school from grade 12 even if you've worked part-time through high school.

Mick F
7th April 2008, 02:10 PM
But Greg, the flying component of the uni degree's are NOT covered by HECS unless you're a Qantas Cadet though. So mummy and daddy still need to pay the fee's upfront.

Floody

Greg McDonald
7th April 2008, 02:58 PM
Thats true Floody. I also think that doing it the way you have would be a hell of a lot more fun anyway even if you eventually do end up with an airline. I just wish the costs weren't as steep as they are before you can get a start with a flying career.

Lukas M
7th April 2008, 03:50 PM
You can always defer for 1year, and work like hell for a year to save up some $$$:mad:

Lachlan Hare
10th April 2008, 06:17 PM
This year in the TAFE course at Swinburne we have more students that have come back to learn after working in the workforce for a couple of years.

And to all those people who think TAFE is for people who are the brightest for University, the average score for the BAK Exam for the TAFE Students was 93% compared to 87% for the Qantas Cadets and 74% for the degree students.

Grant Smith
11th April 2008, 02:33 AM
And to all those people who think TAFE is for people who are the brightest for University

Would they be TAFE students who think this ;)