PDA

View Full Version : Taking Photographs at Richmond RAAF?

NickN
3rd April 2008, 07:57 PM
I assume its illegal to be taking photographs of military aircraft flying to and from the base?

Greg McDonald
3rd April 2008, 10:04 PM
Only if you get caught:D

damian f
4th April 2008, 08:23 AM
Suppose if you do the 'right' thing and ask officially you will be told no, but I visited the Richmond tourist info centre and even stopped for some lunch at the nearby cafe (both on the highway along the fenceline right next to the runway) and I spent a good couple of hours taking photos of runway action and the ramp without problems... even got to show off the camera equipment and other photos to lovely ladies at the info centre!!

They say it happens all the time from there people taking photos of the Richmond Base...

Damian

David Ramsay
4th April 2008, 09:55 AM
Suppose if you do the 'right' thing and ask officially you will be told no

It's often easier to ask for forgiveness afterward than permission beforehand. ;)

NickN
4th April 2008, 12:49 PM
David,

Good call!

I suppose if I stop at the tourist centre and happened to remember I left my camera in the car and somehow some photos managed to find their way to my memory card it would be ok.

Brenden S
4th April 2008, 01:26 PM
I have taken a few photos out there and put them online. no questions asked. That cafe is the best spot I can tell you that.

Grant Smith
4th April 2008, 04:09 PM
I look forward to you all bitching and moaning when the authorities stop you from taking photos of military aircraft at / or of a military installation (http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/da190356/s82.html)

Nigel C
4th April 2008, 04:33 PM
Agreed Granny.

They have been warned!http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x82/Kiska2/210.gif

NickN
4th April 2008, 06:26 PM
(1A) The maximum penalty for an offence under subsection (1) is a fine of $200, imprisonment for 6 months, or both.

Seeing it would be my first offence, and seeing that I am an upstanding citizen I wouldn't get 6 months.

As for the $200 fine, well thats cheaper than what Sydney Airport Corporation charges photographers so I suppose I am better off at Richmond!:D;)

Steve C
4th April 2008, 08:14 PM
The MP's at Richmond have told me it is OK to photograph aircraft approaching and departing, as long as no part of the base is included. That includes the runway, not sure about the approach lights though!

I have done that many times, chatted to the MP's, and no problems.

Steve

Brendon I.
4th April 2008, 09:05 PM
I can only imagine the thousands of photos people have taken of infrastructure, layout etc of Richmond after the numerous airshows held there over the years. Sure not all areas are open to the public and you cant see everything but you get alot closer than standing outside the perimeter fence.

Grant Smith
5th April 2008, 12:49 AM
As for the $200 fine, well thats cheaper than what Sydney Airport Corporation charges photographers so I suppose I am better off at Richmond!:D;)

Yes, because a criminal record is a much better option... :rolleyes:

Rhys Xanthis
5th April 2008, 10:36 AM
Yes, because a criminal record is a much better option... :rolleyes:

exactly what i was thinking lol.

Ken D
7th April 2008, 01:09 PM
The best view of the layout of YSRI is on google earth the detail is amazing. thge current photo was taken on a weekend

Gerard M
7th April 2008, 01:24 PM
I'm guessing you have to have Google earth pro to have the new image? Not the free edition?

Brenden S
7th April 2008, 07:39 PM
I can view it on the free edition, and all the other RAAF bases.

Gerard M
7th April 2008, 07:52 PM
yeah i can view the raaf bases with the free version but it looks like and old image? is there anyway you can update the free edition?

Andrew McLaughlin
8th April 2008, 07:27 AM
I can view it on the free edition, and all the other RAAF bases.

Except for that exceptionally well-placed cloud sitting right over the RAAF side of Williamtown!

Robert Zweck
8th April 2008, 09:59 AM
At RAAF Airshows, photography is generally unrestricted as the ADF have effectively invited you to come onto their land.

Comments?

Nigel C
8th April 2008, 01:13 PM
But you can bet your bottom dollar that at airshows and from the perimeter fences, they're only letting you see what they want you to see!