PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar to singapore deals from Melbourne

Jamie D
3rd April 2008, 08:02 PM
Hi All,
Just doing my daily play around the airline websites looking for specials and i notice JQ have a Mel to Sin sale on $199 each way so i put in some dummy dates and got the fares $395 return, i was so tempted to book at that price, it is unbelievable, but my wife wasnt too keen on me leaving her at home in june with a couple week old baby. (ok fair enough)
But it got me thinking, what sort of business would JQ get on this route if they put the A330 on it direct from melbourne? At similair prices i think they would make a bundle considering the closest fare i could find on a full service airline was over a thousand bucks for the same dates, direct.

What do others think?

Mark Grima
3rd April 2008, 09:54 PM
Jamie, at those rates they probably get heaps of business, thing is though there probably isn't all that many seats at that price. Its all about yield management for any airline, full service or LCC. As the cheap seats sell the more expensive seats come online to cover costs and make the money.

A shame (sort of...) that you couldn't take up the seats though, that is a bargin.

Cheers

M

Alex Lui
3rd April 2008, 10:02 PM
That Jetstar fare I believe is the Jetlite fare, meaning you can only take hand baggage for the flight. Add $20 and you get the jetsaver one, which allows you to check in 20kg of baggage.

JQ wouldn't be operating the A330 (which they are quite stretched for already) on this Melbourne - Singapore route. Jetstar established this route to compete directly with Tiger Airways who offer a one stop Singapore service via Darwin. Jetstar are doing exactly the same. Routing would be Melbourne - Darwin - Singapore and I believe the flight connects with the one from Cairns in Darwin before heading to Singapore.

I wouldn't travel on a A320 for 10 hours if I could avoid it.

Alex.

Chris Thurtell
4th April 2008, 09:03 AM
Not to mention its carry-on baggage only too..

Lukas M
4th April 2008, 09:40 AM
Jetsaver Light= $355 return (return taxes cheaper)
Jetsaver= $395 return

Ok, unless you are good at stuffing a bag full of stuff:(, Id pay the extra for Jetsaver:)

BUT, none fo these deals even comes close to Tiger's $350 return sale( few months back, and that INCLUDED baggage:) )

Gareth U
6th April 2008, 09:30 AM
Routing would be Melbourne - Darwin - Singapore and I believe the flight connects with the one from Cairns in Darwin before heading to Singapore.

Alex.

No. DRW-CNS is twice daily. Same aircraft for MEL-DRW-SIN.

Lukas M
6th April 2008, 12:00 PM
Surely they cant make profit of these fares?, could they??

Daniel F
6th April 2008, 12:38 PM
I think they would treat it as a "marketing expense"... by having these sorts of fares it creates awareness of the route. So in future when Melbournians are thinking of flying to Singapore they will remember that Jetstar flies there.

Lukas M
6th April 2008, 12:39 PM
True, I guess they have plenty of money to burn. Would Jetstar be about the third or fourth most profitable "low-cost airline" in the world?? Just curious

Marty H
6th April 2008, 01:09 PM
True, I guess they have plenty of money to burn. Would Jetstar be about the third or fourth most profitable "low-cost airline" in the world?? Just curious

GOL of Brazil, Ryan Air and Virgin Blue are the three most profitable airlines in the world in that order.

http://www.crikey.com.au/Business/20070821-Virgin-Blue-the-third-most-profitable-airline-in-the-world.html

Ash W
6th April 2008, 06:10 PM
No. DRW-CNS is twice daily. Same aircraft for MEL-DRW-SIN.

The poster said that the MEL-DRW-SIN flight CONNECTS with the CNS-DRW flight (or one of them anyway), thus giving the option of a CNS-DRW-SIN flight.

Gareth U
6th April 2008, 08:06 PM
Opps... I meant to say DRW-SIN is twice daily.But anyway... The CNS-DRW flight continues to SIN as well so I still am unsure what Alex was trying to say. There is two separate flights; CNS-DRW-SIN and MEL-DRW-SIN. No need to connect to another flight in DRW.

Lukas M
6th April 2008, 08:20 PM
Correct

CNS-DRW-SIN Jetstar Asia Crew
MEL-DRW-SIN Jetstar Australia Crew

Vice Versa...

Alex Lui
7th April 2008, 09:21 AM
My apologies... Double daily to Singapore from Darwin. Yes, no change of aircraft required. I think though both Cairns and Darwin are crewed by Jetstar Australia crews and not Jetstar Asia as I recall this changed a few months ago now.

1610 JQ57 leaves and arrives 1900 into Singapore
1800 JQ61 leaves and arrives Singapore at 2045.

They leave 30 minutes apart. 2145 and 2215 from Singapore.

Alex.

Lukas M
7th April 2008, 09:47 AM
Sale now over, Full Fares start at:
JQ- $339
TT-$314

Gareth U
7th April 2008, 07:25 PM
Australia-based crew have ops CNS-DRW-SIN since February.