PDA

View Full Version : Google Ads

David Knudsen
25th February 2009, 08:52 AM
Hi All,

As you've all heard before, running the board is not a cheap affair, we have hosting costs, domain costs and the cost of maintaining the license for the vbulletin software we use.

Since Amsy isn't keen on holding a sausage sizzle at the airport every weekend, we will be trialling google ads over the next month, to see if it is capable of covering our costs. We will be playing with different placements of the ads, and they may take some time to actually become relevant to us - so I apologise in advance if you're not interested in nasal delivery technology ;)

I can assure you that we will not resort to popup ads, or AdWords invading your posts. We will only do what is required to cover the hosting costs. If anyone has any comments or (useful) suggestions, feel free to post them in this thread.

Mick F
25th February 2009, 09:06 AM
I dunno about nasal delivery stuff (more up your ally isn't it Knudsen?), but that Fantastico thing just sounds fantastic....o

Mick

David Ramsay
25th February 2009, 12:11 PM
I kinda like the idea of Amsy doing a sausage sizzle at the airport. ;)

Bernie P
25th February 2009, 01:33 PM
Hi All,

As you've all heard before, running the board is not a cheap affair, we have hosting costs, domain costs and the cost of maintaining the license for the vbulletin software we use.

Since Amsy isn't keen on holding a sausage sizzle at the airport every weekend, we will be trialling google ads over the next month, to see if it is capable of covering our costs. We will be playing with different placements of the ads, and they may take some time to actually become relevant to us - so I apologise in advance if you're not interested in nasal delivery technology ;)

I can assure you that we will not resort to popup ads, or AdWords invading your posts. We will only do what is required to cover the hosting costs. If anyone has any comments or (useful) suggestions, feel free to post them in this thread.

Hi David,

I use to have this on our blog, but it is ONLY good (generating income) IF the adds are clicked! I think it took us about 10-12 months to get the $100USD...

So, if we were all to click an add every now and then (and they do have the technology to see if the are any sudden 'spikes') it should generate an income for the board!

Cheers

Bernie

David Knudsen
25th February 2009, 04:00 PM
Hi Bernie, its actually against google policy to ask people to click on it, but to be honest we'd rather see what sort of revenue it generates on its on. I don't really expect many of our users to click on it, but we do get thousands of visitors a day who aren't members, who come here via search engines...I think they'll be the people who click on the ads.

Gerard M
25th February 2009, 04:05 PM
Hi David,

So, if we were all to click an add every now and then (and they do have the technology to see if the are any sudden 'spikes') it should generate an income for the board!

Cheers

Bernie

I clicked it. only cos i saw it and didn't know what the hell fantastico was doing there, then i realised it was an Ad!!
Theres my contribution ;) Of course i'll also by a sausage sandwich at the next sausage sizzle!

Gerard

Michael Mak
25th February 2009, 06:40 PM
Hi Bernie, its actually against google policy to ask people to click on it, but to be honest we'd rather see what sort of revenue it generates on its on. I don't really expect many of our users to click on it, but we do get thousands of visitors a day who aren't members, who come here via search engines...I think they'll be the people who click on the ads.
David, how much does the board get per click?

Anthony T
25th February 2009, 07:06 PM
I'm in the UK at the moment and the site is showing ads aimed at the UK audience, so it seems to be working.

Anthony T

Mark Grima
25th February 2009, 09:52 PM
I just clicked on a pic of an aircraft cockpit not thinking that it was an ad and got linked to natgeo TV advertising Air Crash Investigations. So certainly relevant to the board and some what ironic considering the Turkish incident in Amsterdam that I just heard about.

Also this is the third or fourth time I have looked on the board today but the first time I have noticed the ad so not invasive at all.

Hope it brings in the revenue that is needed.

Cheers

M

Daniel F
25th February 2009, 10:28 PM
David, how much does the board get per click?

It depends on the ad. Every ad campaign will pay a different amount, but probably averages 30-50c per click.... but some can be more than $1!

Craig Murray
26th February 2009, 09:11 AM
No problems with most ads.

The Nat Geo Air Crash Investigators one here (just as it does at airliners.net) causes the PC to basically freeze while it does its thing. Does anyone else experience this issue?

Mick F
26th February 2009, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I've experienced the same thing Craig.

Mick

Bernie P
26th February 2009, 10:09 AM
Are they still on??

Here at work, NOTHING is appearing!!!

David Knudsen
26th February 2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I've experienced the same thing Craig.

Mick

You both need new computers then, obviously, perhaps I could sell you some!

I have the same issue on my work PC that runs IE6, but my home PC with IE8 seems to have no issue, I think it may have something to do with the lastest version of Flash Player having dramas with IE6/7.

Stephen Brown
26th February 2009, 12:48 PM
Use Firefox instead

Mick F
26th February 2009, 01:16 PM
I'm running Firefox on my computer.

Knudsen, may be in touch with you shortly about a new computer regardless.

Mick

Andrew P
26th February 2009, 02:05 PM
works fines with Google Chrome

but here is the ad for a hotel in China (note spello)

Banjo

ps may be something to do with me being in the Philippines today

Rhys Xanthis
26th February 2009, 02:22 PM
Thought something was weird when i logged in today lol.

I'm sure it will **** me off in the short term, but not really notice it in the long term:p

I guess for you guys the point is to make sure that you're not getting ripped off for your hostin/domain costs lol!

Michael Mak
26th February 2009, 08:30 PM

The Nat Geo Air Crash Investigators one here (just as it does at airliners.net) causes the PC to basically freeze while it does its thing. Does anyone else experience this issue?
The Ads works for me using Windows Vista Ultimate with Firefox.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.9.2a1pre) Gecko/20090225 Minefield/3.2a1pre ID:20090225033705

The ads don't bother me, they are not invasive.

Daniel, thanks for the information :)

David Ramsay
27th February 2009, 09:21 AM
Works for me with IE6/WIN2000.

David M
27th February 2009, 09:54 PM

Craig, when are you going to replace that Commodore 64!!! :D It's been fantastic up until now. I think however, it's time to move on and let it go.....

David.M.

Craig Murray
28th February 2009, 09:45 PM
Craig, when are you going to replace that Commodore 64!!!

The time is getting close, once the tape drive packs it in Im thinking of upgrading to the Amiga!

Craig Sandford
2nd March 2009, 12:10 PM
Craig,

I have a Commodore 128 lying around that I'm sure we can do a good deal on:D

No problem with the ads - they are a lot less intrusive than most arrangements.

Cheers,

NickN
6th March 2009, 12:06 PM
Works for me with IE6/WIN2000

Geez your already up to Windows 2000 in NZ?? :D

I'm impressed.

I bet your all beefed up with 256MB of RAM too?

Greg McDonald
6th March 2009, 01:47 PM
Even works in Windows 7 Beta/IE8

Philip Argy
9th March 2009, 10:44 AM
There's an ad on cycle at the moment which gets you in with 'Free entry' until you read the small print and discover that you can't enter without agreeing to a $10 SMS subscription!

So in fact it costs $10 to enter even if you immediatley unsubscribe from the SMS subscription.

I hope no-one blames SAMB if they get caught by this scam.

Rhys Xanthis
9th March 2009, 02:06 PM
C'mon Phillip, don't we all know never to actually SMS to those things anyway:p

Philip Argy
10th March 2009, 08:26 AM
I agree, Rhys - the issue was the 'free entry' claim in the ad, which enticed me to click it only to discover that it was a false claim. I guess if SAMB earns income from my click it's OK but we shouldn't condone the unethical conduct.

Matthew Chisholm
10th March 2009, 02:39 PM
Now there's a Ukraine dating service. :eek:

Rhys Xanthis
10th March 2009, 03:55 PM
Now there's a Ukraine dating service. :eek:

LOL.

Don't pretend like you didn't sign up now Matthew:p

Rod Sloan
11th March 2009, 07:33 AM
ACARS verbals 2009 thread has an ad from www.learnshares.com.au advertising free seminars in all major cities. Bonus of free seminar and DVD.

You will have to be REAL quick though. It expires on 30/1/09

Grahame Hutchison
12th March 2009, 08:41 PM
I hav not been bothered by the ads until tonight.

Evertytime I navigate to a new page, the google ads take quite a few seconds to load after the page has finished loading. You cannot click on any links until the google ad download finishes.

Rhys Xanthis
12th March 2009, 09:19 PM
Can i suggest that the mods have it so that registered members do not have the ads appear (or maybe just at the bottom).

Numerous forums i visit have this, and if YSSY really does get a few thousand hits from search engines, then that would be enough, surely, to generate revenue to cover the costs of the site (ie web hosting and vbulletin liscence).

Mick F
12th March 2009, 09:25 PM
Can i suggest that the mods have it so that registered members do not have the ads appear (or maybe just at the bottom)

Would you be willing to fork out for the costs then Rhys?

Mick

Brenden S
13th March 2009, 12:31 PM
Oh yea mate1.com came up. Matt what are you doing to us all!!! Good idea perhaps we can all do our bit every time we log on so it works for us in the long term. What harm does one click do when you have finished reading?

Rhys Xanthis
13th March 2009, 01:59 PM
Would you be willing to fork out for the costs then Rhys?

Mick

Sorry, I'm confused?

The costs for the website?

Surely if YSSY does get '000's of hits then enough revenue could be generated to seriously decrease the costs for those that pay for the upkeep of the forum?

Mick F
13th March 2009, 09:54 PM
Well Rhys, unless you're going to pay the costs, then I suggest you be happy with the ad no matter what.

Mick

Andrew P
4th June 2009, 04:35 AM
Admin,

out of curiosity, are the Google ads helping the boards finances?

Banjo

David Knudsen
9th June 2009, 09:01 AM
The google ads are covering around 40-50% of our costs at the moment, so we're pretty happy to keep them.

Tim C
9th June 2009, 02:28 PM
Ads are causing no problems my way. Keep up the good work Gents! Barely notice they are there to be honest. Has become such a normal way of internet life.

Mick F
15th June 2009, 05:56 PM
Knudsen and Team Mod,
That Nat Geographic ad is back causing problems. I certainly don't have a low spec computer, nor a bad internet connection, but it's slowing down my system whenever it's on.

Anything able to be done about it?

Mick

Craig Murray
16th June 2009, 07:18 AM
Same same Floody. I've no problems at all with any of the other ads just the National Geographic one.

If I click on it will it for you guys will that make it go away??!!

Nigel C
16th June 2009, 09:11 AM
Please do Craig...take one for the team!:p