PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ to charge for second bag

Kurt A
7th April 2008, 12:22 PM
Air NZ to charge for second bag

Air New Zealand is to start charging domestic passengers $10 to check in a second bag under new rules being introduced later this year. But the weight allowance will be increased from 20kg to 30kg in a move the carrier says will ease a “huge worry” for customers.

The rules will enable passengers to check in one bag of up to 30kg with a second bag, also with a 30kg allowance costing $10. The carrier said the additional weight under the existing regulations would cost $150.
“This is a customer led initiative as a result of our customers telling us very clearly that they hate the restriction and cost involved because of the weight system,”

Air New Zealand group general manager short haul airline Bruce Parton said. “Not knowing if you’re over the 20kg weight allowance when you get to the airport is a huge worry for people. This would eliminate that.”

-travelweekly

Rhys Xanthis
7th April 2008, 03:06 PM
Hmm...

it seems to me that they will make more money here, as people tend to have more than 1 bag rather than a 30kg single bag.

However, only $10 for an extra 30kg is very good.

I can imagine check in with baggage to be more strict now.

Personally i prefer what Qantas usually do, just count up passengers times weight limit, and dont really care how many bags, as long as weight is under limit.