PDA

View Full Version : Watchdog to look at airport parking fees

Ryan N
7th April 2008, 12:36 PM
http://www.smh.com.au/news/news/airport-parking-fees-rip-off/2008/04/06/1207420251032.html

Watchdog to look at airport parking fees
April 7, 2008

THE cost of parking at five capital city airports is to be investigated because of concerns the public is being ripped off.

The Federal Government will tell the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to restart monitoring of short and long-term car parking at Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Perth and Brisbane airports.

Federal Transport Minister Anthony Albanese said parking fees at some airports were high by international standards, and there was genuine concern about airports using their monopoly position to exploit the public.

Sydney Airport charges $13 for the first hour of parking, double the fee at JFK Airport in New York. Melbourne Airport charges $10.

The ACCC had previously monitored airport parking fees but this program lapsed last year.

"The previous government allowed the ACCC monitoring program to lapse at the very time total car parking revenue reached an unprecedented $206 million — not a good time for government to take its eyes off the ball," Mr Albanese said.

Last financial year Melbourne Airport grossed $68.7 million from parking fees, almost double the total of four years earlier. Car parking charges made up 18% of its total revenue, the highest percentage of Australia's five big airports.

A spokesman for Melbourne Airport said about $70 million had been invested in car parking at Melbourne Airport in the past five years.

"We have just started work on a $60 million upgrade of short-term car parks, adding around 3000 more spaces, simply because consumers demand it," he said.

"If consumer demand is so strong, obviously we are going to be receiving revenue."

Melbourne Airport competed with about seven other private long-term car parks, and its prices compared favourably with off-site competitors, the spokesman said.

NickN
7th April 2008, 01:06 PM
About time. Not only are the parking fees excessive at the airport, food and just about everything else is way overpriced as well.

Greg McDonald
7th April 2008, 01:13 PM
The ACCC has already admitted (even before the enquiry starts!) that they can do nothing about the prices charged regardless of their findings!:mad:
Talk about a toothless tiger!! What is the point then of spending the money for the enquiry:confused:

Sarah C
7th April 2008, 01:41 PM
Good on em but I doubt anything will change. What YSSY charges is just highway robbery - it is embarrassing. At least some of the other airports around Australia are at least affordable.

Michael Mak
7th April 2008, 02:19 PM
Can passengers still be picked up from the departure level at the international terminal?

Michael Rychter
7th April 2008, 02:55 PM
>>> Can passengers still be picked up from the departure level at the international terminal?

Not the last time I looked (A security issue they say!!!). More like a plan to stop people avoiding the (expensive) parking.

Also, You can't even pick up your (wife/sibling) airport worker from the terminal. You can drop them off (if they look like departing passengers).

Also, you can't wait off site, drive in and pick up a waiting arrival in the lower deck road area!

Also, try to park in the adjacent streets so you can come in and collect a waiting arrival.

SACL is a money grabbing disgrace. All power to the competition enquiry but I suggest NOTHING will come of it!

Rhys Xanthis
7th April 2008, 03:00 PM
Parking prices are a disgrace at the airport...but at least at Perth they have the overflow long term for $10 or something like that..and a free shuttle bus to the terminals.

Wouldn't know about international though.

Nick W.
7th April 2008, 05:37 PM
Yes, parking prices are very high at the moment, but we do see the effects of this in the general upkeep of the terminals and sydney airport area. In my opinion the terminals are some of the best in the world, and a new parking complex is only going to help.

I remember my parents complaining when they were $18 for 2 hours. Those were the good days, i suppose...

Steve S... 2
8th April 2008, 08:39 AM
Bring Tiger Airways to Bankstown, Virgin Blue to Wollongong and Jetstar to Richmond so some of us can by-pass that robbery....

Andrew M
8th April 2008, 10:28 AM
Well yes parking fees are very $$$, the long term undercover carpark is well now no longer all undercover. It is simply too popular as it's a 5 min walk to the terminal and it used to be all undercover.

However, they are now building another 3000+ car spaces to extend the car park again.

Melbourne Airport would make alot off this carpark and of course SYD and the others as well

For me though, anything longer than a 24 day holiday and it's cheaper for me to get a car transfer to/from the airport, which is what I do instead

Andrew M
8th April 2008, 10:29 AM
Talk about a toothless tiger!! What is the point then of spending the money for the enquiry:confused:

To ensure that the ACCC looks like they are doing something, and to justify their existence

Robert Zweck
8th April 2008, 11:11 AM
Have a look at this.........

http://www.minister.infrastructure.gov.au/aa/releases/2008/April/AA027_2008.htm

Robert Zweck
8th April 2008, 11:35 AM
In Adelaide the Long Term car park is located next to the old terminal...there is a free shuttlebus to the main Terminal every 15 minutes.

The charges are...

4 days costs $55

7 days costs $70

Which sounds a lot cheaper than elsewhere

( These figures are more like Sydney's daily rates )

Andrew McLaughlin
8th April 2008, 12:07 PM
I parked at the SYD domestic terminal carpark last week as I was running late (ish) for a DJ flight. I was thinking maybe $40 or $50 - came back 27 hours later and it had cost me $92!!! :eek:

Faaaarrrrk!

I'm almost embarrassed to claim it from work...well, almost! :D

Andrew McLaughlin
8th April 2008, 12:14 PM
In my opinion the terminals are some of the best in the world, and a new parking complex is only going to help.

Geez Nick, you must either be wearing rose coloured glasses each time you come through, or you're arriving when no one else is.

Coming back from Singapore last month, I couldn't imagine a starker contrast between the incredibly efficient, spacious and clean Changi T3, and Sydney's drab and crowded int'l arrivals area. The only worse I've experienced are QF's LAX arrivals areas (especially when the BNE or an AA flight arrives at the same time) and LHR's T4 (which is crap pretty much all the time), but there's not much in it.

I'm certainly looking forward to the new YSSY arrivals hall being completed.

Robert Zweck
8th April 2008, 12:27 PM
There is a solution...

Come to Adelaide where everything is done in moderation.