PDA

View Full Version : Boeing 787 too heavy

Greg McDonald
20th March 2009, 01:47 PM
An interesting article:

The first version of the Boeing 787 needs to slim down, says the chief of International Lease Finance Corp., the airplane’s biggest customer. “Rest assured that the first batch of 787s will be overweight,” ILFC chief Steven Udvar-Hazy said Tuesday at a conference in Scottsdale, Ariz., according to Air Transport Intelligence. “In the long run, this will be an excellent aircraft,” Udvar-Hazy said. “But I pity the airlines that get the first ones. Obviously those aircraft will not be the same standard as those 787s later on.” Last year, Udvar-Hazy said that weight gains by the 787 would limit its range. Boeing subsequently acknowledged that it had cut its range forecast for the first Dreamliners.

Mike W
20th March 2009, 02:18 PM
An interesting article:

“But I pity the airlines that get the first ones.

I'm picking the pity will be replaced with something else along with the increase in discount on the purchase price! :D

NickN
20th March 2009, 03:05 PM
Some of the first customers are going to feel duped arent they. I hope their discounts are enough to ease the dissapointment of not getting what they were promised.

Adam P.
20th March 2009, 05:47 PM
Anyone remember the first A380s???

Point being - it's a brand new type of aeroplane, it will therefore ALWAYS have teething troubles and be slightly heavier than forecast... what's that old pilot saying, "never fly the A model of anything"?

...eh Bourno??? ;)

Nigel C
20th March 2009, 06:15 PM
Or drive the 'Series 1' model of any car...especially Commodores.

NickN
20th March 2009, 07:56 PM
Or drive the 'Series 1' model of any car...especially Commodores.

That's so true it should be somewhere in the Bible.