PDA

View Full Version : Lenses

Rhys Xanthis
7th April 2008, 03:17 PM
Hi guys,

im looking to buy a new camera lens, something with more zoom then the 18-55 im currently using on my 350d.

for now im looking to buy a cheap (second hand possibly) lens. most likely a kit lens, hopefully with IS.

what kind of zoom would you guys reccomend? i havent really started looking yet, so all comments helpful!

and also anyone selling , list what you got.

rhys

ps i hope this is the right forum...

Carsten Bauer
7th April 2008, 05:26 PM
If you're looking at cheap, then the Canon 75-300mm is the way to go.
A good lens to start off with. Sells for under $400.

Next step up is maybe would be the Sigma 50-500mm for just under $1k or even cheaper if you shop around.

Then you have the Sigma 80-400mm OS (Optical Stabilized) for a bit more.

But a lot of people recommend the Canon 100-400 IS L series lens, for around $2k. L series lenses are the best quality Canon glass. And it's all about the lens people say. My advice, save up, dont get the plastic 75-300mm Canon, and get one of the Sigma's or the 100-400 :)

Mark D
7th April 2008, 06:12 PM
for now im looking to buy a cheap (second hand possibly) lens. most likely a kit lens, hopefully with IS.
Rather than the 75-300 Canon have a look at the 70-300IS USM lens. Better glass (not as good as L series but better than the 75-300) and with IS.
I've been using one for a couple of years, having upgraded from the 75-300
See

new lens:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedy_msd/tags/canonef70300mmf456isusm/

Old lens:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/speedy_msd/tags/canonef75300mmf456usm/

Gabriel S.
7th April 2008, 06:58 PM
A new lens should be an investment; don't skimp. Rather than go for a cheap option now, save a bit and get something more solid (definitely L-glass, if you can afford it). A good lens will last you many years and be well worth the money.

Rhys Xanthis
7th April 2008, 07:13 PM
i only recently acquired the camera, so i am still learning.

My idea of the cheaper, skimp option was because im in Yr 12 this year, so i wont have much time to use it, but i do need a zoom lens i think.

After yr 12 is done with, ill obviously have more time, can get a job etc and make some $$ to get a really nice lens.

thoughts?

Andrew McLaughlin
7th April 2008, 07:25 PM
The 70-200mm f2.8L is the way to go, there are few lenses better, especially if you can stretch to the IS model.

You can then add a 1.4x converter later for those situations where you'd like to get a little closer.

It'll last you for ever and you can build upon it with the 100-400 later on.

Cheers