PDA

View Full Version : Prerequisites required for a commercial pilots licence

Peter D
23rd March 2009, 03:50 PM
Hello all,

Just a general inquiry as to the prerequisites required for becoming a commercial pilot at either a flying school, ADFA or through a cadetship?

Last time I checked all that was required for the defence force was 2U maths, English and another board approved subject. However, as of late, I read that the required subjects are chem, physics and 2U maths.

I'm particularly concerned as to whether I need Physics to become a pilot?

Please note that I am asking for the prerequisites required to become a pilot, not to be an aeronautical engineer. They are different right?

Thanks in advance :)

Bill S
23rd March 2009, 10:16 PM
Mate I'm an ex-747 Captain.
I went as far as high school, and I can tell you for a fact that all you need to fly just about any jet anywhere in the world is to be able to add, subtract, and multiply & divide by three.

Lachlan C
24th March 2009, 06:19 AM
hi
go on the websites and they should tell you. I know qantas require 2unit maths and english. Physics is a good subject to have as it pops in and out of the requirements:-)

Edward Terry
24th March 2009, 06:43 AM
Peter, I am studying Aeronautical Engineering, which involves far more complex Maths and Physics than you would encounter as a pilot.

I have only done my PPL theory exam, but from what I have read of CPL theory, 2U Maths and Physics would help in facilitating your understanding of the material. I'm sure many others on the board who have gone all the way to ATPL will be able to comment further. I tend to think that the specific topic knowledge or algebraic skills which these subjects develop are less important than the conceptual understanding and problem solving techniques they offer.

Requirements differ between airlines (or ADFA) so check on the respective websites.

Robert Zweck
24th March 2009, 12:23 PM
You'll need plenty of passion and enthusiasm.....

......To deflect all the obstacles in your path

Adam G
24th March 2009, 06:21 PM
I have up to & including ATPL's - I didn't study 2U Maths (However did do a course to help out an application to a specific airline) or Physics & have not found a need for it. As Bill said if you can count/divide/multiply/subtract etc you should have no issues.

What's required practically however is not always reflected in airlines/defence force requirements so check out those websites for their requirements.

In the event you don't have them, there are a lot of courses you can do fairly quickly to meet the minimum requirements.

Peter D
24th March 2009, 10:13 PM
So the basic idea is that you really only need english and mathematics or to be able to divide by three which I'm certainly capable of. And as Robert said plenty of passion and enthusiasm. Which I no doubt have as well.

As everyone has said, it differs between ADFA and qantas but the point is that I can still be a pilot without doing physics.

So thank you everyone for reassuring me everyone because I just dropped physics as a subject :)

Owen H
24th March 2009, 10:52 PM
Peter D,

As well meaning as a lot of the folks on here are, you have to be very careful listening to their advice without backing it up with solid fact.

Physics is presently not a requirement, but until about 2 years ago was a requirement for the QF Cadet Program. For some courses around the world it remains a requirement.

You also have to remember that while flying an aircraft is based on multiplying and dividing by 3, the University course entrance requirements are not, with most people now learning to fly through uni courses that have their own minimum requirements.

I think, for now, that you are safe in dropping physics, but just a warning that as well meaning as a lot of people on these forums are, they are not necessarily all familiar with current requirements and practices :).

Greg McDonald
25th March 2009, 08:33 AM
You also have to remember that while flying an aircraft is based on multiplying and dividing by 3, the University course entrance requirements are not, with most people now learning to fly through uni courses that have their own minimum requirements.

You also don't need to go near a university to complete your pilot training.

Owen H
25th March 2009, 09:05 AM
Greg, I never said you did.

Most students are going that way, and it will lead that way into the future too. Have a look at the proportions of people who are doing it the GA route who want to be in the airlines vs the uni route. FEE-HELP is a major reason for this.

I'm not for a moment suggesting it is a better route, nor that it is the only route, but at Peter's stage it is important to keep options open, and would be silly to rely solely on advice from a forum like this for decisions that can have a major impact on his future options. There is no problem getting some advice here, as long as it is confirmed the long and hard way.

Also, while Bill S's reply is quite factual, it will not these days automatically enable you to get a job at an airline. Just achieving the HSC/VCE is not sufficient to get a job in an airline. Currently, you need a pass in Mathematics as well as English. I know it is well-meaning, and a good way to give youngsters confidence that they will be able to do the job. There is, however, a difference between skills required to do the job and the qualifications requred to get the job.

For example, Physics while not currently a required subject may very easily reappear in the Qantas Cadet Program selection. Did he get a C grade or higher in year 10 science? If not, then he will need to do a physical science at yr 11/12 to qualify for the air force.

Its a difficult area to choose your subjects, and its not a light decision to make. I just want to make sure Peter understands the complexities and doesn't just rely on a few opinions here to make his decisions.

Thats all I'm trying to get at.

P.S Peter, the ADF requirements are here (http://www.airforce.gov.au/psa/education.aspx)

Greg McDonald
25th March 2009, 10:42 AM
Absolutely agree Owen. I was just thinking of the old forum when this subject came up and the replies that were given then. A number of pilots suggested that going via GA was probably more fun (although more expensive) and can also get you to an airline seat in the end.

Peter D
25th March 2009, 04:27 PM
It's definitely a good point that I shouldn't rely solely on what is discussed in forum to make important decisions but it does give me an idea about the requirements.

I think your right Owen in that Uni courses have their own minimum requirements and that the requirements to get into the course will be different to the requirements for the course.

And I suppose that there are an abundant number of ways to become a pilot and there will be an abundance, or at least enough jobs out there in the future.

And I have passed year 10 science, quite easily but am not doing any science for my HSC.

Mick F
25th March 2009, 04:41 PM
there will be an abundance, or at least enough jobs out there in the future.

Peter,
I think I can quite safely say, the pilot shortage is over for the moment. There is no longer an abundance of jobs out there, like there has been. I know people who have recently lost their jobs due to the downturn. I think for at least another 5-7 years, we'll be back to the pre-boom days, where jobs were hard to come by, and little movement in the industry.

Mick

Peter D
25th March 2009, 05:43 PM
Damm..

Well if you are passionate and persistent then a job shortage won't stop you, unless it gets really bad.