PDA

View Full Version : Radar Field

matthew mcdonald
8th April 2008, 10:17 PM
Is it possible to get to the radar field by car. If so, how.

P.S. I was up on that little hill right next to the highway and I looked across the highway and saw two guys spotting behind the fence, so there has to be a way.

Thanks in advance

Nigel C
8th April 2008, 10:18 PM
I think Glenn Stewart might be able to help you here...

Over to you Glenn!

Brenden S
9th April 2008, 04:50 PM
Yea park at the tower and run across general holmes drive!

Nigel C
9th April 2008, 05:36 PM
I'll call the ambulance...

matthew mcdonald
9th April 2008, 05:42 PM
Any other ways other than the back of an ambulance ;)

Matt_L
9th April 2008, 06:37 PM
HAHAHa:)
we did that GEN holmes drive dash when the 380 first came to syd in 2005 and there was like literally over 150/200 people there at the radar field with dirt mounds the size of mount everest:P
Everyone dashed across.
If im not mistaken though, its illegal now to go there?
Regards,
Matt

Nigel C
9th April 2008, 06:55 PM
Seeing as Glenn is being a total slacko and not looking at the board right now, I'll attempt to answer on his behalf.:p

I believe they parked elsewhere (not sure where...I didn't speak to them) and walked from Gen Holmes Dr (southern side) up the hill and to the fenceline where Matthew then saw them.
Security did have a friendly chat to them (2 separate security patrols), it was smiles all round because everyone was polite and friendly, and they continued spotting there until a rain shower and some pretty crappy dark photo-unfriendly cloud came in from the south east.
I was going to stop and say hi, but they'd gone by the time I returned to that area. I didn't see where they went.

As far as I know, at no time did they wander through the construction compound area there near gate 16. All access was via the hill next to GHD.

Glenn, feel free to add to or correct me here...

Cheers
Nigel

Adam P.
9th April 2008, 07:31 PM
it was smiles all round because everyone was polite and friendly

See?? You DON'T have to be confrontational!!!

Adam P.
10th April 2008, 11:07 AM
I hear Glenn's just discovered the 'new' board (OK, I put him on to it) and a reply will be forthcoming shortly...

Glenn Stewart
10th April 2008, 12:50 PM
Seeing as Glenn is being a total slacko and not looking at the board right now, I'll attempt to answer on his behalf.:p

I had to renew my membership. I don't know about the whole slacko thing.The last time I was able to relax and slack off was spotting in the radar field on Sunday.

I believe they parked elsewhere (not sure where...I didn't speak to them) and walked from Gen Holmes Dr (southern side) up the hill and to the fenceline where Matthew then saw them.

I parked beyond the restricted parking sign (i.e. the legal side). I've been told numerous times by security that as long as I am past the boundary of the airport, that the car should be fine.

I'm not really into playing "frogger" by parking at the tower.

Security did have a friendly chat to them (2 separate security patrols), it was smiles all round because everyone was polite and friendly, and they continued spotting there until a rain shower and some pretty crappy dark photo-unfriendly cloud came in from the south east.
I was going to stop and say hi, but they'd gone by the time I returned to that area. I didn't see where they went.

I was spoken to by the second security guard personally. I didn't make it to the fence to speak with the first one (who spoke to my friend). The first conversation was relayed to me. I think it was the typical message that I've heard for many years. Just the general stay clear of the fence with the ladder and have a nice day. My overseas visitor was very impressed with Sydney Airport security hospitality.

A second security guard came past a couple of hours later. He was very friendly (did I mention hospitality?) and reinforced the ladder warning. He also warned us that the area had private constuction sites we had to stay clear of (something that had completely changed since my last 2006 visit). I explained that we were only going to take a couple more shots then relocate (wanted to get Viva on 16R approach).

All in all, just a casual Sunday. We were there for a couple of hours. I thought I was the spotter! Seems that two hours in the radar field in a whole 14 month period leads to be spotted first.

As far as I know, at no time did they wander through the construction compound area there near gate 16. All access was via the hill next to GHD.

I didn't go near any of the construction sites. I assumed that they were the huge sandpits areas to one side fenced off? I walked along the highway. Its far easier than tackling the snakes in the long grass. In the old days I would have gone down into the corner because it's better for rotations, but the land down there seems to be too busy with sandhills and fenced off areas.

I just made sure I was as far from the fenced off areas as possible by staying close to the road. It's not as good for spotting as the old days, but it's the best I could find on the day.

Glenn

Nigel C
10th April 2008, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the clarification Glenn.

I don't know if that area near the TAR (radar head) will ever become freely accessible again. It's been in use by various construction companies continuously for the past few years for all the redevelopment work that's gone on.

In any case, the building of the fence line in the style of Qantas Drive may well see that area lost forever to accessible spotting.

Cheers

Scott Lindsell
10th April 2008, 03:37 PM
In any case, the building of the fence line in the style of Qantas Drive may well see that area lost forever to accessible spotting.

Cheers

Is that on the cards anytime soon Nige or just ..... 'eventually'.

Nigel C
10th April 2008, 04:11 PM
All I know is it's on the plans!

Morris Biondi
10th April 2008, 09:44 PM
There are rumours circulating on how many KMs of the tight meshed fencing have been bought, I've heard numbers between 8 and 30, so assume most of the airport will have that kind of fence at some point in the future, though as I say they are just rumours at the moment(about the numbers).

Morris

Scott Lindsell
11th April 2008, 03:51 AM
Thanks Nige.
Mori- Might have to start looking at a bigger ladder :)

Nigel C
11th April 2008, 07:53 AM
And it is BIG, with 3 strands of what looks like electric fencing across the top.

Morris Biondi
11th April 2008, 06:19 PM
Nigel, I got the same impression myself about the electrified top tear of the fence although I'm hoping it is just for show to act as a deterent, surely we haven't come to that in this country, it is after all a commercial field not some military base hiding some stealth aircraft.

Scott I tell you what if the fence is electrified for real, I ain't going nowhere near it(which I guess acts as a great deterent to spotters), no matter how big my ladder is, we may have to start petitioning the airport to maybe widen the obs deck all the way along the terminal(AMS style), that would be a nice trade off, I guess we can dream.

Morris

Adam P.
11th April 2008, 06:35 PM
Nigel I vote we get you to test whether this fence is electrified or not.....

Brenden S
12th April 2008, 01:59 AM
what happened to a chain going across the runs of wire!!!!! short the bloody thing out.

Scott Lindsell
12th April 2008, 07:33 AM
And it is BIG, with 3 strands of what looks like electric fencing across the top.

Fair dinkum, electric fences. They don't even have that in the 'good ole US of A'. :p
Having said that soon there won't be any airlines to shoot either :rolleyes:

Nigel C
12th April 2008, 06:03 PM
what happened to a chain going across the runs of wire!!!!! short the bloody thing out.

If it is being electrified, then surely they'd be able to monitor the fence to determine if there are, and the location of, attempted breaches?:confused:

I guess it'd be easy to tell if any spotters tried putting their ladder too close to the fence...:eek:

Nigel C
12th April 2008, 06:05 PM
Nigel I vote we get you to test whether this fence is electrified or not.....

Gee thanks!:mad:

Nigel C
12th April 2008, 06:06 PM
Nigel, I got the same impression myself about the electrified top tear of the fence although I'm hoping it is just for show to act as a deterent...

Morris

I noramlly don't see the landside of the fence. Are there signs indicating if it's electrified?

Andrew C
12th April 2008, 07:56 PM
The Airport drive new fence has three wires on the top, they are the electrified ones. Can't miss them they are clearly above the main part of the fence and held up by insulated rings.

There are "small" yellow signs on each segment of the fence high up. Look like they are high up to see them just before you touch the wires.

Andrew

Ryan Hothersall
12th April 2008, 09:06 PM
Sounds very extreme having an electric fence.

I am guessing spots like shep's mound will be useless. If so there is little point saving up for a trip to SYD.

Morris Biondi
12th April 2008, 10:04 PM
Next time i'm down at the airport I will see if I can read those small yellow signs, but i think we can all more or less guess what they will say "Touch for a free BBQ" is my guess.

Ryan I think there are still some good spots to shoot from, it will really only effect the beach, Qantas drive has now for a long time been a no-no for photos if you pull up with a car, unless your shooting approach on the other side than that's ok. Shep's mound will still be ok if you stand on the actual mound, but let's face it that spot has being detiorating for a while now, with light post, storage areas and other obstacles.

We will evolve and keep finding new spots, we always do.

Morris

P.S.- Sorry I forgot 25 threshold, when new fence go up GOONE.

Nigel C
13th April 2008, 08:51 AM
Sounds very extreme having an electric fence.

I am guessing spots like shep's mound will be useless. If so there is little point saving up for a trip to SYD.

I'm guessing you're being a little pesimistic, and just maybe a touch negative...

Why not wait and see, make the trip to Syd, and most importantly judge for yourself! There's no point moping about something you can't change or fix.

Alan Dent
13th April 2008, 12:23 PM
Is the top level of the Marrickville Metro shopping centre car park still available for photography?
I've never been there but heard it was OK. I suppose you can get refreshments there.

Adam P.
13th April 2008, 01:19 PM
Yeah you can get up to Marrick-a-ville Metro... view of approaches is ok, you may get some funny looks from the locals if you rock up with a big lens tho...

Nick W.
15th April 2008, 06:43 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/nickaussie/th_P1015471.jpg (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/nickaussie/P1015471.jpg)

Would that be the fence in question? That is from Qantas drive.

N

Brenden S
15th April 2008, 07:49 PM
So who is building that structure opposite the road there..... (River side) So we can get above that ridiculous fence.

Nigel C
15th April 2008, 10:02 PM
Yes, that is the fence Nick.

Chris Griffiths
15th April 2008, 11:29 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/nickaussie/th_P1015471.jpg (http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b144/nickaussie/P1015471.jpg)

Would that be the fence in question? That is from Qantas drive.

N
Police state BS,

Can anyone here or from any law enforcement authority show where the bad guys crossed a reasonable boundary fence to attack an airport or aircraft?

Nuh, didn't think so.... the bad guys walk in through the front door and go through check in and the joke that passes for security just like everyone else!!

Darren Butterworth
16th April 2008, 12:35 PM
Mind you, after the couple of recent incidents at Heathrow by protesters, it may be worth ensuring against the 'embarrassment' factor.