PDA

View Full Version : JQ to lease more A330's due to 787 delays

Malcolm Parker
10th April 2008, 09:57 AM
Just seems as if Qantas are sick and tired on the 787 delays they will lease more A330's. No word on type and when though. More info should come through soon.

Jetstar to operate more A330s

Qantas has just announced that it will lease up to six A330 aircraft for Jetstar's international operations.

The announcement follows a revelation overnight by Boeing that its 787 program has been delayed for another six months. http://yssyforum.net/board/showthread.php?t=64

QF ceo Geoff Dixon said the carrier iwas "very disappointed that Boeing has again delayed the delivery schedule" for QF's 65 787s - the first 15 of which were earmarked for JQ's international services.

He said Qantas now expected to receive its first B787-8 15 months after its original delivery date.

"The B787-9 aircraft, which has also been ordered by the Qantas Group, will also be delayed by between 15 and 23 months," he said.

Greg F
10th April 2008, 10:13 AM
These 787's are becoming a headache for the QF group......
I don't see why JQ don't remain all Airbus anyway..

Montague S
10th April 2008, 10:33 AM
almost as bad as the A380 delays...that's what you get with something fresh off the chopping block.

Michael Morrison
10th April 2008, 11:01 AM
So I guess JQ can do some expanding after all!

I wonder if they will still go for Europe with the 332's or stick to Asia?

lloyd fox
10th April 2008, 11:13 AM
Yes Montague i agree, and i can't see why the airlines that have ordered the 787 didnt think this was a possibility.

Michael Morrison
10th April 2008, 11:44 AM
The 787 delays seem a bit more serious though???

At least the A380 was able to fly when it was delayed. The 787 cant even get put together!

Montague S
10th April 2008, 12:13 PM
The 787 delays seem a bit more serious though???

At least the A380 was able to fly when it was delayed. The 787 cant even get put together!

A380 first flight was delayed too....and their delay is already running at over 2 years, different technology altogether for the 787 so the comparison is quite useless.

Lukas M
10th April 2008, 01:25 PM
Was any Info said on when these A330's are on the way:confused:

They should be here sooner then wouldn't they
Looks like they might beat AirAsiaX, but just dont know

Michael Morrison
10th April 2008, 05:05 PM
A380 first flight was delayed too....and their delay is already running at over 2 years, different technology altogether for the 787 so the comparison is quite useless.

I asked a question - if you are only going to snipe, don't bother posting.

The A380 was flying before a delay was announced. And airlines were saying it was technically a greta aircraft and were ordering more.

Alot of people ARE making comparisons and all I asked was if the 787 delay seemed more serious and by that I mean technically as obviously it is financially more serious as Airbus only had a handful of customers and airframces to compensate, where as boeing have loads of airframes and many more customers to compensate.

Montague S
10th April 2008, 05:54 PM
I asked a question - if you are only going to snipe, don't bother posting.

what are you on about?

The A380 was flying before a delay was announced. And airlines were saying it was technically a greta aircraft and were ordering more.

and just maybe they might say the same about the 787 when it gets sorted? the A380's first ever test flight was delayed..so I don't quite understand the comparison your making.

Alot of people ARE making comparisons and all I asked was if the 787 delay seemed more serious and by that I mean technically as obviously it is financially more serious as Airbus only had a handful of customers and airframces to compensate, where as boeing have loads of airframes and many more customers to compensate.

and this is because of my previous post...the technology Boeing is using is vastly different from the tried and tested method that Airbus used for the A380..what did you expect? I'm not sure why you needed to make it sound like I was sniping...fact of the matter is that Boeing are trying something that has NEVER been done before in commercial aviation.

Erik H. Bakke
11th April 2008, 09:36 AM
These 787's are becoming a headache for the QF group......
I don't see why JQ don't remain all Airbus anyway..

As good as the A330 is, the B787 will far eclipse it in most areas when it is finally flying. Therefore, the B787 still makes a lot of sense from a financial point of view when compared with the A330. What could happen, of course, is that QF/JQ would order A350s instead (and then JQ could stay an all-Airbus operator), but then they would have to wait even longer for their new generation aircraft.

Now, the delays are really bad for Boeing, but the aircraft will be flying and delivered eventually. Anyone willing to sign up as a launch customer for a new aircraft should be prepared to face delays.
You would think that airlines that were already burnt by the A380 delays would know that. They surely should not think "it's not going to be delayed, it's a Boeing after all..." because these things have happened before, they're happening now, and they will continue to happen on almost every completely new aircraft project. No matter who designs and builds it.

The hope would be that Boeing could follow what Airbus did with the A380 and use the delays to ensure a much higher maturity on entry into service than what would have been possible without the delays. However, as the aircraft is still not flying, and first flight has been pushed back nearly as much as the estimated first delivery, they are not going to get as much experience with the aircraft during test flights.