PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair says passengers could replace baggage handlers

NickN
11th May 2009, 12:23 PM
As a passenger, you'd hope this one never gets off the ground. I'd say the airport operators would also have an issue with pax dragging luggage throughout the terminal, would add to the congestion. Not to mention security issues once you leave your baggage unattended.

Europe's largest low-cost airline Ryanair is looking at the possibility of getting passengers to carry their luggage all the way to the plane, cutting out the need for baggage handlers.

"We would say to passengers ... take your own bag down through airport security, leave it at the bottom of the steps, we put it in the hold and on arrival we deliver it to the aircraft steps and you take it with you," Chief Executive Michael O'Leary told a news conference yesterday.

Ryanair's business is centered around cutting costs and the carrier is planning to eliminate check-in desks from October this year, saving up to 40 million euros annually.

An airline spokesman said the group would not pursue the luggage plan if it jeopardized their quick turnaround times

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/ryanair-says-passengers-could-replace-baggage-handlers-20090508-axgi.html

Steve S... 2
11th May 2009, 12:30 PM
Next they will think up a way to get the visitors waving/seeing off passengers, to use the tug to push the plane back from the gate...

NickN
11th May 2009, 12:34 PM
Something akin to this?

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/09/26/article-0-02CE35AE00000578-463_468x273_popup.jpg

Erik H. Bakke
11th May 2009, 01:50 PM
Taking your checked bags through security and down to the aircraft...
Now, that would make it impossible to bring liquids and so on even in checked baggage, wouldn't it?

NickN
11th May 2009, 02:16 PM
There would definately be implications in allowing the practice Eric, things like shaving razors etc would also be an issue. I think Ryan Air are getting way ahead of themselves with this one.

Rhys Xanthis
12th May 2009, 12:19 AM
Another foolish blabber from ryanair:rolleyes:

Andrew M
12th May 2009, 09:15 AM
Correct

They should have gone with the fat tax

Torin Wilson
12th May 2009, 09:46 AM
All they need to do is place an order for a few Il-86.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilyushin_Il-86#Concept

Rhys Xanthis
4th June 2009, 02:05 PM
and the latest from ryanair

Ryanair may charge passengers for sick bags

PASSENGERS may soon be forced to pay for sick bags under the latest revenue raising plan considered by budget UK airline Ryanair.

While discussing the airline’s cost-cutting measures on the UK’s Sky television, Ryanair’s Chief Executive Michael O’Leary said he would consider charging passengers for sick bags.

Ryanair has been criticised for constantly looking for new ways to cut costs or raise revenue.

Last month the airline announced its intention to eliminate check-in desks and possibly baggage handlers.

It has also asked Boeing to design credit card-operated toilets, despite reports the company was “only joking: when suggesting charging passengers to use the toilet.

"We have looked into this before, and the problem is Boeing can't come up with a mechanism on the toilet door to take coins," he told the Associated Press.

"We're suggesting they go back and look at a mechanism where you'd swipe the credit card for a quid on the toilet door. They've gone off to look at that… We are serious."

However Ryanair spokesman for Germany, Anja Seugling, told the Ostthueringer Zeitung daily, "it was all just a gag".

Ryanair also considered a “fat tax” – a policy already implemented by United Airlines; charging extra for toilet paper and fees for smoking in a converted toilet cubicle.

Don't know about you guys, but I'm getting pretty sick of these fake PR excercises, they're beginning to annoy me!

Needless to say, I'll throw up all over the seats and floor, if they wish to charge me for a sick bag!:eek:

Hugh Jarse
4th June 2009, 03:25 PM
When I was at Qantaslink, this very practice was used quite successfully on the Cityflyer YSCB services. PAX just dropped their bags on a trolley at the foot of the stairs as they boarded. Upon arrival at YSCB, the bags were on a similar trolley waiting for them.

Admittedly there wasn't a lot of large bags, but I could see it working on some domestic sectors. However, they'd have to put the baggage slides back on aerobridges for it to work there.

I suspect this would not be practical on larger aircraft because of the delay of getting bags from the holds to the stairs. OTP would be shot to pieces unless they increased turnaround times.

One question I'd ask is how would they weigh the bags now for the LTS?

I doubt it's feasible....

As for charging for sick bags - If I weren't able to wait for one to be delivered, I might just have to puke in the seat pocket, or on the floor (if I couldn't make it to the loo). See how that affects their OTP and revenue!:D

Andrew McLaughlin
4th June 2009, 03:55 PM
Come on guys...surely you know that O'Leary and his people at Ryanair just make statements and suggestions like this in order to gain publicity.

Do you honestly think passengers would be granted airside clearance to take baggage to the aircraft, let alone be allowed to carry baggage through the airside areas of terminals?

Daniel M
4th June 2009, 11:27 PM
Please refrain from quoting the whole previous post in your message. Thank you - mod

Don't write it off totally Andrew. Why is it not possible for people to attach their own label to their bag, put them through an xray machine, then pick them up at the other end. Obviously there's no way at all that pax would be allowed to LOAD their own baggage into the plane physically, but if they can get it basically to the aircraft door, I'm sure it would save having an extra few ground crew to sort and deliver bags to the plane. When you think about it, its a clever idea, in that, lost bags would typically be a thing of the past!

Hakan I
6th June 2009, 03:47 AM
I am surprised that Ryanair dont charge passengers for every breath of oxygen they take on board the aircraft.

Hakan