PDA

View Full Version : Parallel runway ops question

Greg McDonald
12th May 2009, 12:54 PM
I was looking towards the airport from my bldg in the city this morning and noticed something I haven't seen before. At around 1000 a Qantas 737 departed from 34L and flew what appeared to be runway heading for a short while before heading towards Katoomba. At the same time a 767 departed 34R and turned immediately towards the south, crossing over 34L then traveled on that course for a while then turned east. These aircraft seemed to take off around the same time and appeared to be reasonably close on cross over. I've only ever seen aircraft on 34R bank starboard on departure when both runways are operational.
I've no doubt the separation was fine but it looked quite close and very unusual from my vantage point.

Phil M
12th May 2009, 04:51 PM
There was a missed approach on 34L this morning about that time. An A340 went around and turned left towards the south with a Qantas aircraft departing as you described. It may have looked like the aircraft in the missed approach was from 34R.

Other than that, I can not think of a scenario as you described.

NickN
12th May 2009, 06:41 PM
From what I know it is impossible for a 34R departure to bank left. All the charts for 34R specifically warn "CAUTION - Parallel runway ops do NOT turn left".

Greg McDonald
12th May 2009, 07:55 PM
There was a missed approach on 34L this morning about that time. An A340 went around and turned left towards the south with a Qantas aircraft departing as you described. It may have looked like the aircraft in the missed approach was from 34R.

Other than that, I can not think of a scenario as you described.

It SERIOUSLY looked like the crossing aircraft came from the starboard side of the 737, not behind it and didn't look big enough to be a A340. Having said that, I can't think of another scenario either. Would be great if an ATC member on the board could confirm what happened.

Hugh Jarse
12th May 2009, 08:24 PM
With the exception of weather diversions, as Nick wrote, it would be extremely unlikely for an aircraft to turn left after takeoff from 34R.

(Greg, in aviation the use of port and starboard is extremely rare these days)

Jason H
12th May 2009, 10:04 PM
According to the webtrak, the only scenario is the A340 go around, as that is when the only QF738 took off 34L anywhere near 10am. I'm guessing that's what it is

Nigel C
12th May 2009, 10:19 PM
It SERIOUSLY looked like the crossing aircraft came from the starboard side of the 737, not behind it and didn't look big enough to be a A340. Having said that, I can't thing of another scenario either. Would be great if an ATC member on the board could confirm what happened.

As per Phil's post, I also saw the Argentinean A340 do its go-around at right on 1000 (I remember this time because when I saw it was Aerolineas livery, I was curious to see how late he was today....). He made a very, and I mean very sharp turn to the west, and was established in the westerly heading as the QF B737 was rotating at around Alpha-3. The turn to the west was tight enough that I reckon it could have been easy to think he made the missed approach off Rwy 34R.

IIRC, the QF B767 was at a similar height as the A340 as it turned to the east off Rwy 34R.

Greg McDonald
12th May 2009, 10:42 PM
Thanks all....that's obviously what it must have been. Looked very effective though!!