PDA

View Full Version : Highly Suspected Swine Flu Patient on Melbourne-Outbound CA178 Flight

Simon L.
25th May 2009, 12:47 AM
It has been reported by several Chinese media outlets that a 30-year-old Chinese national who was travelling on May 23's Air China flight CA178 from Melbourne to Beijing via Shanghai is now a highly suspected swine flu patient after he was put under isolation upon arrival in Shanghai and is now receiving hospital treatment.

Chinese authorities are now urging passengers on that flight to contact public health agencies - more info please visit http://en.carnoc.com/list/10/10677.html.

At this stage, although the case is still being listed as a "highly suspected", but some reports I received suggest that it's already "clinical confirmed" (after several preliminary lab tests), but the authorities are just waiting for the final lab confirmation and approval by China's Ministry of Health for its official status to be changed to "officially confirmed". Once confirmed, I believe this will be the first swine flu case "exported" from Australia to other nations.

Regards.

Simon L.
25th May 2009, 02:45 PM
Update:

The aforementioned case's status was officially changed to "official confirmation" by China's Ministry of Health this morning.

My understanding is that the World Health Organization (WHO) and Australian health authorities have been notified by the Chinese health agency.

China's Xinhua news agency has now officially reported the swine flu confirmation at http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-05/25/content_11431210.htm

Regards.

Simon L.
29th May 2009, 01:58 AM
Latest Update:

Another passenger, who was already under isolation since his seat was only a few a few rows in front of the first confirmed swine flu patient aboard the same flight (May 23's CA178 from Melbourne to Beijing via Shanghai), is now suspected of having swine flu since became unwell from May 26. He was then transferred to a hospital in Shanghai for treatment.

Preliminary lab tests have confirmed positive to swine flu, and is now awaiting for the confirmation of final lab testing and approval by China's Ministry of Health for his official status to be changed to "officially confirmed".

Media Report by China's Xinhua news agency:

On May 28, Shanghai reported one more suspected swine flu case, who took the same flight CA178 from Melbourne, Australia to Shanghai on May 23 with the city's first case.

The patient, 22, male, Chinese nationality, currently studies in an Australian university. His temperature rose to 37.7 degrees Celsius at 5:15 p.m. on May 27 and he was tested positive to A/H1N1 by the Shanghai Municipal Center for Disease Control and Prevention on May 28.

His case still needs a final review from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Source: http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-05/28/content_11450750.htm

Regards.

Simon L.
29th May 2009, 08:14 PM
Another Update:

The suspected swine flu case I mentioned earlier today has now been listed as officially confirmed, he is the second person aboard that flight to be diagnosed with the new H1N1 virus.

However, what's more worrying is that a cabin crew who was working in the Economy Class section on May 23's CA178 from Melbourne to Beijing via Shanghai has also tested positive to swine flu earlier today. Her case has just been fully confirmed and officially announced. It's lucky that she was being put under isolation for 7 days in Shanghai due to "possible close contact with the first confirmed swine flu patient on that flight". :(

So, now there are at least 3 people aboard the flight have contracted the virus, I just hope no more emails and reports are coming in...

Regards.