PDA

View Full Version : Careflight Helicopters

Jayden Laing
13th April 2008, 07:19 PM
Hey guys,
I was just wondering,has anything happened to the old NRMA Careflight choppers. Have both the BK117 & Augusta A119 Koala choppers been sold to an overseas buyer or are they still in Australia waiting to be sold.
Thanks for your help

Grant Smith
14th April 2008, 12:58 AM
Now that's a question for Bob Bell... Where is old mate these days?

patrick woodward
14th April 2008, 06:37 AM
G'day,

I understand they are still operating out of Westmead as part of Head injury retrieval unit... Hear them call up on ATC police an ambo radios as Careflight HIRT... Hope this helps...

Cheers

Brenden S
14th April 2008, 01:30 PM
THE HIRT is still running, there was a big article in Australian Aviation not that long ago (Andrew) I think they want to put another chopper on to do more HIRT to.

Jayden Laing
14th April 2008, 05:13 PM
Yeh. thanks guys. it helps a little bit. so do you know if VH-CFO (Augusta A119 Koala) & VH-IME ( BK117 ) are still in Australia being used or sitting as spare parts.

Jayden

Brenden S
14th April 2008, 06:36 PM
Both are being used as far as I am aware. The Koala is the HIRT chopper and the BK is on back up to the CHC 412's

Jayden Laing
14th April 2008, 07:18 PM
Thank you. That now answers my question.

Jayden

Andrew McLaughlin
14th April 2008, 08:49 PM
THE HIRT is still running, there was a big article in Australian Aviation not that long ago (Andrew) I think they want to put another chopper on to do more HIRT to.

Yep, Paul Sadler covered it. The HIRT trial has been extended, but as far as I know it's still the lone A119. I thought the BK had gone over to Surf Life Saving Australia.

Paul and I are going to Oakey on Wednesday to shoot some Tigers, and I'll find out more then.

Cheers

Jayden Laing
14th April 2008, 09:04 PM
So HIRT is operated by the A119 Koala. I thought it was operated by the Augusta A109E Power (VH-IAG). I may be wrong. please correct me if i am.

Jayden

Greg C
15th April 2008, 07:09 AM
Jayden you are correct. HIRT is operated by VH-IAG the A109E power Careflight 4. Their BK-117 VH-IME Careflight 1 and the A109 still operate from the oval behind Westmead hospital.

Their A119 Koala VH-CFO Careflight 2 operated from the their Orange base up untill about a year ago. This service was contracted out to CHC helicopters. Not sure what happened to the A119 or CHC currently have a chopper at Orange.

Jayden Laing
16th April 2008, 08:37 AM
Yeh thanks Greg. yes CHC have a helicopter at the orange base & i believe it is a Bell 412 Classic VH-BZH. The helicopter is well maintained for her age. i had the opportunity to check VH-BZH out at Parkes Hospital & i must say, she is a good chopper.:)

Andrew McLaughlin
17th April 2008, 12:06 PM
OK, Greg and Jayden are correct - the A119 was based at Orange but has been replaced by a 412, and the current HIRT primary is an A109. The BK117 is apparently still around and is used as a backup to the HIRT machine since the HIRT trial was extended to the Central Coast.

Cheers

Jayden Laing
18th April 2008, 01:18 PM
Thanks Andrew for that