PDA

View Full Version : New Qantas 767-200F freighter service

Steve Jones
11th June 2009, 08:12 AM
Not sure if this has been reported here yet?

QANTAS Freighter is starting a Trans-Tasman service on the Sydney - Auckland - Christchurch - Sydney route, using B767-200F leased from Air Transport Int'l (ATI)

QF7523 SYD2210 - 0340+1AKL 76F x567
QF7524 AKL0500 - 0620CHC0720 - 1005SYD 76F x167

Looks like a new a/c to be seen regularly in SYD.

William Bradley
11th June 2009, 08:30 AM
Any idea when, and will the plane be in Qantas or ATI titles?

lloyd fox
11th June 2009, 09:24 AM
15 june 1st flight.

I assume ATI c/s.

Mike W
11th June 2009, 12:03 PM
Much like the Atlas 744F's one would assume...

Greg Wood
11th June 2009, 03:29 PM
Great to see it in QF colours, but most likely will retain ATI livery.
Greg

Todd Hendry
11th June 2009, 07:46 PM
At the moment it is in QF colours but it is a 767-300ER crewed by Australian QF crews.I know it isn't a freighter and I know you all know these facts. But I thought I would make a point. It's a shame that non Australians will operate these flights. Sorry to be a bit political about this everyone.

Craig Murray
11th June 2009, 08:32 PM
Agree Todd, and didn't Qantas dispose of some 767-200's not so long ago? Could the airline have converted one or two of the better aircraft to freighter configuration and formed Qantas Cargo? Even now some of the 767-300's would surely be canidates for such a start up? Or is there still "no money in freight" according to management?

I note that ATI operate two B767-200 Freighters.

N748AX built in 1983 for Delta.
N761CX built in 1985 for American.

No doubt having a new aircraft to photograph in the region is a great thing from an enthusiasts perspective but I'd like to perhaps expand on this debate by putting forth the question:

Could Qantas Cargo work?

I am aware that there is a global downturn in air cargo just now however there is almost certainly no doubt that things will come good again in the not too distant future, maybe now is the time to pick up a couple of surplus freighters and give it a go? Our geographical isolation from the rest of the world all but ensures we have some degree of reliance on air freight.

Gerard M
11th June 2009, 09:22 PM
At the moment it is in QF colours but it is a 767-300ER crewed by Australian QF crews.I know it isn't a freighter and I know you all know these facts. But I thought I would make a point. It's a shame that non Australians will operate these flights. Sorry to be a bit political about this everyone.

Sorry, i'm a bit confused. Is this one your talking about Todd the new service thats going to be operated by ATI or that the current freight run is a QF767 and its going to change to the ATI serivce with ATI 767 and crew?

I actually am looking forward to seeing it if it does come in ATI colours. They're quite a good combination of colours.

Craig Murray
11th June 2009, 09:31 PM
Gerard, it's not a "new" service per se it is replacing flying currently undertaken by passenger configured Boeing 767-300's with their guts jam packed with freight and operated by Qantas crews. I believe Todd's point is that this arrangement takes this flying away from these crews and gives it to foreign operators and crews and is possibly as a result of the airlines desire to dispose (??) of a couple of 767's.

I've always wanted to do the impossible and spend a night on the QF freighter service to NZ and back. I guess the impossible just became more impossible if that's possible :D

Torin Wilson
11th June 2009, 09:57 PM
Of the 2 767's Craig mentioned, 1 is in ATI colours and the other ABX and both are meant to operate it.

Mike W
12th June 2009, 12:33 PM
didn't Qantas dispose of some 767-200's not so long ago? Could the airline have converted one or two of the better aircraft to freighter configuration and formed Qantas Cargo? Even now some of the 767-300's would surely be canidates for such a start up? Or is there still "no money in freight" according to management?

I also wonder this. :confused:

If there is "no money in Freight", how is it QF can share profits with Atlas to run QF Freight Flights with 744s?

Greg Wood
12th June 2009, 03:03 PM
It beggars belief that Qantas has never opted to get more involved in the air freight cargo business themselves,surely the opportunities around our south pacific & south east asian markets could see this work. Too late now with other successful cargo operators doing freight services into these markets. Qantas should have been doing years ago, the horse has bolted & they've missed their chance.

Gerald D
12th June 2009, 05:19 PM
Will this replace AKL-CHC-SYD service 7624?

Gareth U
12th June 2009, 11:54 PM
Many cabin crew LOVED operating these patterns. One cabin crew member would be present to look after certain safety checks and look after the pilots.

Brenden S
13th June 2009, 12:16 PM
Problem with QF is that they want wet leased aircraft so if there is a downturn the aircraft isnt costing them money sitting on the ground. I am sure they have a pretty sweet deal going on with atlas anyway.

Gerard M
13th June 2009, 09:45 PM
Gerard, it's not a "new" service per se it is replacing flying currently undertaken by passenger configured Boeing 767-300's with their guts jam packed with freight and operated by Qantas crews. I believe Todd's point is that this arrangement takes this flying away from these crews and gives it to foreign operators and crews and is possibly as a result of the airlines desire to dispose (??) of a couple of 767's.

Ah ok i understand now Craig, thanks. This may be a stupid question but with the current QF 767 freighter runs, i presume are at night, do they just run normal passenger op's nationally somewhere during the day whilst not being used? If this is the case what will these two new aircraft do when not on a freight run or will it consume most of the day with the journey back and forth? Will they be just parked at Sydney somewhere?

Tim Bowrey
13th June 2009, 10:00 PM
Am I correct if I say it will park at the Cargo bays 1 and so on? I will be between T2 and T3 on that staircase and it'd better land 16R, if not, Id like to know if it will taxi to the Cargo bays near 16R threshold and not DHL or something.

Gerard M
14th June 2009, 12:46 AM
If anyone is interested, here (http://www.qantas.com.au/freight/pdf/3925.pdf) is the press release. When it says it will be available for charter on demand would that be a company chartering it out from Qantas for a special freight run or have i misinterpreted it?

QANTAS FREIGHT LAUNCHES NEW TASMAN FREIGHTER OPERATION
SYDNEY, 9 June 2009: Qantas Freight announced today it would commence a new Boeing 767 freighter
operation between Australia and New Zealand on 15 June 2009*.
Executive Manager Qantas Freight Mr Stephen Cleary said the operation would enable Qantas to retain wide
body freight capacity on the route following the introduction of the Qantas Group’s new trans-Tasman
passenger schedule.

“For the first time customers in Christchurch will also have access to main deck freighter capacity.”
Mr Cleary said the B767-200 freighter would be wet-leased from global carrier Air Transport International (ATI)
and would operate Sydney – Auckland – Christchurch – Sydney overnight on Mondays, Tuesdays,
Wednesdays and Thursdays under flight numbers QF7523 and QF7524.
“The aircraft will have a payload of approximately 42 tonnes and will also be made available for charter work
and weekend rotations when demand exists,” he said.A little off topic but i also read (http://www.qantas.com.au/freight/pdf/3921QantasExpandstoVietnam.pdf)that Qantas has started up a freight run with a 744 to Vietnam, China and US.

Mr Cleary said that the new service would operate under the flight number QF7585 direct from Sydney to Tan
Son Nhat International Airport approximately six kilometres from Ho Chi Minh City, the country’s economic
hub.
The service will depart every Thursday from Sydney and Ho Chi Minh City, arriving in Shanghai and New York
early on Friday morning and Chicago early on Saturday morning.Full articles avaliable on the hyperlinks.

Ash W
14th June 2009, 02:53 AM
If anyone is interested, here (http://www.qantas.com.au/freight/pdf/3925.pdf) is the press release. When it says it will be available for charter on demand would that be a company chartering it out from Qantas for a special freight run or have i misinterpreted it?

Think you have read it right. The flights are 4 days a week, so that leaves Friday, Sat and Sun to charter it (presumably off Qantas) for other trips and needs.

David Ramsay
14th June 2009, 08:58 AM
This may be a stupid question but with the current QF 767 freighter runs, i presume are at night, do they just run normal passenger op's nationally somewhere during the day whilst not being used?

Currently the overnight trans Tasman freight service uses two a/c. They are normal 767 passenger a/c.

One a/c ops SYD-AKL as a passenger flight in the evening, then AKL-CHC-SYD as a freighter.

The other a/c ops SYD-AKL as a freighter, then AKL-SYD as a passenger flight in the morning.

Steve Jones
14th June 2009, 10:42 AM
If the first flight is due to start tomorrow, where is the aircraft?

lloyd fox
14th June 2009, 11:35 AM
At 0800 this am it was HNL-PPG

Cheers Lloyd

Gerard M
14th June 2009, 01:05 PM
Currently the overnight trans Tasman freight service uses two a/c. They are normal 767 passenger a/c.

One a/c ops SYD-AKL as a passenger flight in the evening, then AKL-CHC-SYD as a freighter.

The other a/c ops SYD-AKL as a freighter, then AKL-SYD as a passenger flight in the morning.

Thanks David. Does that mean the flight should be here from HNL some time this afternoon Lloyd? Will it be using a QF6*** number or something different?

Cheers
Gerard

EDIT: Flight Stats as an ATN104 flight enroute to PPG from HNL at the moment so i guess that is the one coming to Syd and if it is i guess its using ATN104 as its flight number. Also it appears its currently 18 minutes delayed ;)

Stefan Perkas
14th June 2009, 05:02 PM
Gerad,

You are spot on it is using ATN104 and is due from Pago Pago at around 1920.

Gerard M
14th June 2009, 05:15 PM
Cheers Stefan. By the way, how do you always have such good info on these unique inbound flights all over Australia? lol. Care to share your sources ;)

lloyd fox
14th June 2009, 05:43 PM
Stefan,

I suggest your secret sources should remain just that.Think of the bigger picture.
Just keep providing this good info for all of us.

Cheers Lloyd

Gerard M
14th June 2009, 05:57 PM
So sorry Lloyd,point taken i won't ask. Was simply wondering how people find out about these sort of things.

Mark T
14th June 2009, 06:52 PM
N761CX is currently 120nm NE of Sydney.

Cheers
Mark

Gerard M
14th June 2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks Mark,. Seems to be about on time. FL401, approaching Marlin?

Benny Zheng
14th June 2009, 07:18 PM
The arrival info:

ATN104 B762 1923 34L from NSTU

Tim Bowrey
15th June 2009, 11:09 AM
The one in ATI colours is in parked next to the SQ A380 overnight near general holmes drive. Departing just after 10pm tonight accoring to SACL website and will be back tomorrow at about 5 past 10am in the morning.

Paul Hunter
16th June 2009, 09:04 AM
Departed about 10.30pm last night off Runway 16 Left.

I asked the pilot why they had planned out via Nobar and not planned on the direct track to Auckland, was this due to some ETOP's issues.

He said yes. Was quite surprised as I didn't think think there would be anything to concern a 767 on such a short sector.

Ideas, AJ, Owen, anyone??

Regards.

Benny Zheng
16th June 2009, 09:31 AM
Plane arriving back today at 1030LT as ATN7524 from NZCH.

Sarah C
16th June 2009, 10:51 AM
Just touched down on 16L and taxiing as we speak. With the downpour I doubt anyone is out there for a photo, but it is a nice looking livery! :)

Owen H
16th June 2009, 11:00 AM
Paul,

Without knowing their policies and the airports they have available, its hard to know.

One *possibility* (and only a possibility) is if they were operating non-etops and remaining within 60mins of an aerodrome, and they have Norfolk Island available. The northern route would allow them to do this.

If you are operating to ETOPS standards then yes, SYD - AKL is really no issue.

Tim Bowrey
16th June 2009, 11:09 AM
I doubt anyone is out there for a photo!

Haha I got some photos although I was waiting for it to touch down 16R but heard "Air Transport 7524" on ATC for 16L:'( Benny Zheng was at International for arrival. Does anyone know where it taxiied to because I was on my break and had to run back hehe.

Benny Zheng
16th June 2009, 12:34 PM
The weather was not ideal first of all and i had to be on the wrong side of the light. But here's what i got.

N761CX

On approach to 16L.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/zwgbenny/IMG_9845A800.jpg

From the international observation deck.
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b2/zwgbenny/IMG_9860A800.jpg

Gerard M
16th June 2009, 12:56 PM
Great looking plane. Good photos Benny although i'm sure on a better day it will be more photogenic!

I would have thought it was going to use QF7524 like Atlas uses Qantas 7*** as their call sign? How come they stuck with ATN?

Plane arriving back today at 1030LT as ATN7524 from NZCH.

Sarah C
16th June 2009, 01:37 PM
Great photos Benny, considering the weather!

Nice looking 762 thats for sure!

Chris Primmer
16th June 2009, 02:06 PM
Nice shot Benny,

Did you get B-LIC as well?

ChrisP

Tim Bowrey
16th June 2009, 02:23 PM

I got B-LIC Chris:) Were you there Chris?

Benny Zheng
16th June 2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks guys. Was still wondering if it was worth it after you get bathed in the rain haha.

I missed the arrival of B-LIC Chris. But i did notice that UA839 returned to Sydney at around 1000.

Lee G
16th June 2009, 03:07 PM
Benny - Seems like you and I were in the wrong place!.... Well done Tim!

I was perched down on 16R threshold waiting for it .... dived for my car when the rain came and after 5 minutes glanced down past the Domestic Terminal to see it taxiing over to Freight ........:mad:

Did get B-LIC though .......

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/b16a64e2dd173dcd4cebbc13a57fb72e5g.jpg

Tim Bowrey
16th June 2009, 03:27 PM
I heard it on 125.3 about 5mins after my break should have finished cleared for 16L so I ran to the end of T2 undercover:)

http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=2547893

B-LIC from where I was waiting for ATI:(
http://www.jetphotos.net/viewqueued_b.php?id=2547895

Gerard M
30th June 2009, 10:08 PM
Anyone else notice that they are now using Qantas 7523 as the call sign as opposed to Air Transport 7523. Any particular reason why it took so long for the call sign to transfer over or is this normal for this situation?

Tim Bowrey
13th March 2011, 09:40 PM
Air Transport Int'l's 767-200F N761CX just recieved takeoff clearance from RWY34L as "Air Transport 105" at the end off lease ferry flight.

Jayden Laing
13th March 2011, 10:01 PM
Anyone know where it's off to?? At 36,725ft over Parkes, NSW

Shayne G
13th March 2011, 11:03 PM
Her next stop is Senai International Airport it seems. It'll probably continue off to somewhere else after that.

Gerald D
15th March 2011, 08:55 AM
May be able to get more crayfish on this service!!!