PDA

View Full Version : Impressive A380 crosswind landing

Steve Jones
30th July 2009, 08:17 AM
Actual imagery of the landing only starts about halfway through, after the ads etc!

From the Oshkosh Airshow, I believe

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/exclusivevids/EAAAirVenture2009_AirbusA380_HardLanding_200850-1.html

Sarmad Al-Khozaie
30th July 2009, 08:53 AM
Another A380 Bashing......

Matt_L
30th July 2009, 09:25 AM
"not the best foot forward for Airbus but probably looks like the plane will still be usable"

I'm a Boeing man through and through but that is just funny coming from a B777 pilot supposedly. I actually thought he was talking about something not related to aviation regarding the landing, like a sporting event?:confused::confused:

It was sure a hard landing but with a direct crosswind and the added pressure of the crowd makes it more justifiable- some could say though if it was the influence of the crowd the experienced pilots were practising bad TEM- threat and error management!

Remember though the only thing that matters- a good landing is one you can walk away from (unless of course your flying a 300 million dollar machine for one of the biggest aircraft manufacturers:D)

Seth Jaworski
30th July 2009, 09:54 AM
I saw the landing yesterday and it didn't really look all that dramatic.
It certainly has been a huge crowd favourite, with the average wait time of about 2 hours for most of today! Personally I thought the flying display by the Virgin Galactic Mothership was much more exciting.

Matt N.
31st July 2009, 09:47 AM
They're lucky it wasn't a 787 - with a landing like that both wings would have snapped clean off :eek:

Sarmad Al-Khozaie
31st July 2009, 09:56 AM
Sarmad - Please don't quote the entire post directly above, use the reply function instead -mod.

So true, then that will give boeing fans something to be quiet about, but keeps getting delayed every month so who knows.

Craig Murray
31st July 2009, 03:24 PM
Landing looked pretty reasonable to me, the illusion of the runway markings reflecting off the underside of the wings/flaps certainly makes it look like the aircraft "drops" suddenly so to speak.

Great landing on what looks to be quite a narrow runway, you can see the No. 2 and 3 engines look to overhang almost outside the flight strip. The width would certainly explain the rudder movements to keep the aircraft on the centreline.

Scott Lindsell
31st July 2009, 04:41 PM
They're lucky it wasn't a 787 - with a landing like that both wings would have snapped clean off :eek:

Now that's funny :D

Mike W
31st July 2009, 05:10 PM
Just not very witty

D Chan
31st July 2009, 07:50 PM
that did look pretty hard... the wing bounce was amazing.

Gerard M
31st July 2009, 09:14 PM
He said something at the end like it looks like the aircraft will still be useable? Don't they factor these sort of things into the design and durability of an aircraft, clearly not so they happen every day? One hard landing wouldn't send it to the scrap yard would it or require an overhaul etc etc? Or does that sort of strain especially on the wings exagerate stressing of the wings and all the other aspects that go along with it?

Sarmad Al-Khozaie
1st August 2009, 12:19 PM
if F-WWOW was used then all is ok, WOWW is a test bed aircraft that will not see a life in any airline.

Seth Jaworski
1st August 2009, 02:27 PM
It was F-WWDD.

Philip Argy
2nd August 2009, 12:43 AM
Here's a nice collection of pics:
http://news.cnet.com/2300-11386_3-10001313.html?tag=mncol

Craig Lindsay
4th August 2009, 04:53 PM
Wouldnt the pilot be under more pressure with a plane full of pax?"not the best foot forward for Airbus but probably looks like the plane will still be usable"

I'm a Boeing man through and through but that is just funny coming from a B777 pilot supposedly. I actually thought he was talking about something not related to aviation regarding the landing, like a sporting event?:confused::confused:

It was sure a hard landing but with a direct crosswind and the added pressure of the crowd makes it more justifiable- some could say though if it was the influence of the crowd the experienced pilots were practising bad TEM- threat and error management!

Remember though the only thing that matters- a good landing is one you can walk away from (unless of course your flying a 300 million dollar machine for one of the biggest aircraft manufacturers:D)