PDA

View Full Version : BA cuts free meals on short-haul

Steve Jones
30th July 2009, 08:47 AM
This seems to be the way of the future...

End of an era as British Airways scraps free meals

Agence France-Presse

STRUGGLING British Airways has announced that it will scrap all free meals apart from breakfast on short-haul flights to save £22 million ($44 million) per year.

Passengers on flights lasting less than two hours will only be served drinks and snacks from 10 a.m., the airline confirmed. BA's latest belt-tightening measure will be implemented from Monday.

”When you fly with British Airways, the in-flight catering is top-class and, unlike some other airlines, it is free,” a BA spokesman said.

”It is not unusual to make small changes to avoid waste and save money where it makes sense and it meets customers' changing tastes.”

Around one fifth of BA's 40,000-strong workforce, including pilots, have already agreed to accept cuts in pay or to work for free to help the group save millions.

BA is in trouble after recently posting an annual loss of £375 million, which it blamed on high fuel costs.

The world's leading commercial airlines are facing a major cash squeeze as the global economic slump crushes demand for air travel.

Gareth Forwood
30th July 2009, 09:59 AM
My parents are flying Prague-London later in the year - London-Prague is 1h 55m and Prague to London is 2h 10m. That delay just got them a free meal!! :p

Stephen B
30th July 2009, 10:03 AM
What a load of rot. There is no way those meals have ever been free, thay would have always been costed into the ticket price, just like all other airlines do. Corporations don't give anything away for free.

This is nothing more than a hidden price rise, by cutting out a service you already pay for. Just another way corporations try to treat the general public like idiots. And please note I mean corporations generally, not just airlines.

David Ramsay
30th July 2009, 04:48 PM
Who needs a meal on a two hour flight anyway?

Aircraft are for getting you from here to there .. or sometimes there to here. Restaurants are for eating in. :rolleyes:

Grahame Hutchison
30th July 2009, 07:44 PM
When it comes to meals on short haul flights, I would tick the "Healthy Option" box and eat when I get there.

Bernie P
30th July 2009, 08:55 PM
Any idea as to when this starts? I am flying BA 6/8 from MAD > LHR...???

Matt D
31st July 2009, 01:45 AM
BA have been subtly reducing the food service on Euro trips for the last year. A 7am flight last week (2hr10min) yielded a sandwich and a choice of tea, coffee or water.

Daytime flights usually get a sandwich (you don't get to choose what type - there is only one type) and a beverage. Six months back there used to be a choice of sandwich, a chocolate, pretzels and beverage.

It's understandable given their dire financial state but it further closes the service gap between BA and the likes of easyjet.

Bernie, it appears that this will be implemented next week. With any luck "mañana, mañana" may well work in your favour

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3c655a66-7c73-11de-a7bf-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1

Mike W
31st July 2009, 05:04 PM
My parents are flying Prague-London later in the year - London-Prague is 1h 55m and Prague to London is 2h 10m. That delay just got them a free meal!! :p

I did the exact same flight "BA Club Europe" a year or two ago with a meal of couse but I do agree, a meal is not really needed.

Stephen B "What a load of rot. There is no way those meals have ever been free, thay would have always been costed into the ticket price, just like all other airlines do. Corporations don't give anything away for free".

That's life Mate, get used to it. VB has just gone down in alcohol abv from 4.8% to 4.6% in lieu of a price increase. Not that I'd drink that bogan crap anyway, but you get the point.

Kieran Wells
1st August 2009, 12:00 AM
BA have been subtly reducing the food service on Euro trips for the last year. A 7am flight last week (2hr10min) yielded a sandwich and a choice of tea, coffee or water.

It's understandable given their dire financial state but it further closes the service gap between BA and the likes of easyjet.

Its funny having seeing this, having flown from YSSY-EGLL on BA just over 2 weeks ago now. Ths Sydney - Singapore sector meals consisted of a Dinner and a "Refreshment". What i remember of the BA all day deli compared to a previous trip approx 2 years ago. All day deli is now just a roll and drink - compared to roll, drink, and fruit salad 2 years ago...