PDA

View Full Version : Spotting at LAX

matthew mcdonald
13th August 2009, 08:09 PM
In mid to late October this year I will be passing through LAX for a day or two on my way to Calgary and was wondering if there were any maps, layouts or people with information on where the best places to spot are at the airport. (Keeping in mind I will be on foot).

Thanks heaps in advance.

Tim Bowrey
13th August 2009, 08:26 PM
Everything you need Matty

http://spotterswiki.com/index.php?title=LAX

Sarah C
13th August 2009, 08:49 PM
The link Tim posted is a good summary. I am biased but I think LAX is probably one of the best spotting airports in the world.

The best two locations are the In 'n' Out Burger and Imperial Hill. The In 'n' Out Burger in particularly good in the afternoon. Not only do you get the north arrivals, the aircraft are so close to you on approach. And the burgers are worth the trip as well!

The Imperial Hill is best for South Arrivals/departures. You will need a good lens but the height and location is ideal for photos, particularly in the morning.

Also, depending on your itinerary, the new reLAX lounge at the TBIT is good if you don't have lounge access. You do pay for the time you are there but it gives you great views of aircraft taxiing to the runways, the QF aircraft resting area as well as both runways.

PM if you want more information.

Karl M
13th August 2009, 09:09 PM
As stated above, Imperial Hill & In-N-Out burger are the two spots to visit, and there both easy access.

But note with In-N-Out, if taking photo's, you may come across back lit photo's in the afternoons.

Montague S
14th August 2009, 08:52 AM
In-n-Out is a terrible spot, Imperial Hill is the best spot at that time of year because the sun remains behind you the entire day, if you want the sunset shots then its Sepulveda for the 24 arrivals...there is a multi-story carpark which is great for these shots.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/China-Southern-Airlines/Boeing-777-21B-ER/1004525/L/

if this spot is open then for me its the very best place at LAX.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Atlas-Air/Boeing-747-47UF-SCD/0797225/L/

its listed as a spot to avoid, but it can be done and is best on weekends, its the cargo lot.

Scott Lindsell
30th August 2009, 04:03 PM
Matthew,
Agree with Monty, except for a visit for lunch In and Out is terrible except shooting very late evening in summer. Don't forget the Proudbird for an additional approach shot location in October too.
TBIT to Imperial hill is about $12 in a cab. There is a good hotel in El Segundo (Embassy Suites LAX Intl South) which has good deals from time to time and is only a short walk from the hill.
Scott.

matthew mcdonald
30th August 2009, 06:12 PM
Thanks for the reply about the In n out Monty and Scott. I will be passing through LAX around the 26th, 27th, 28th of october and am currently looking for accomodation for a couple of nights at the airport. If any one has any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance.

Lukas M
30th August 2009, 06:32 PM
Decent hotels around Lax would be Hilton, Westin, Crowne Plaza. Sheraton is apparently not that bad, although someone on the reservation needs to be over 21 to access any Sheraton hotels around LAX.

But by all means just use Priceline and their online bidding thing. I actually booked my LAX hotel's today, and put a bid of $47USD on 3.5star hotel, in which there is only three of them, and got me the Crowne Plaza for $73 after tax/exhange rate etc..

Or if you are into the 2 star stuff, plenty of them around the area going pretty cheap.

Adam G
30th August 2009, 06:53 PM
I recenltly sat in the Alaskan Airlines Club Room in Terminal 3 ($30 entry) for a few hours between flights in that terminal and it had fantastic views of widebody aircraft taxying by and a lot of local narrow bodies - it was also fairly quiet compared to other lounges.

matthew mcdonald
30th August 2009, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys. One more question I forgot to ask is who would people like to fly more: V Aus or Air Pacific?

Thanks for the answers

Blake Riley
30th August 2009, 07:22 PM
Id take air pacific for a 747 anyday.

Sarah C
30th August 2009, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys. One more question I forgot to ask is who would people like to fly more: V Aus or Air Pacific?

Thanks for the answers

Depends on the price!

I flew Air Pacific from LAX about 2 years ago. The entertainment is probably the only real downside (it has the old SQ system with movies on a loop) but the rest of the service etc isn't too bad. Sitting in economy on the upper deck was strange!

The stopover in Nadi was pretty cool - the departure was even better with the aqua sea.

Matt_L
30th August 2009, 08:46 PM
V Aus or Air Pacific?

Thanks for the answers

How about Delta mate!!!

Westin hotel LAX airport has awesome views of the runways- you look out onto 25L/R i think it is- was about 5 years ago i was there. But hotel is reasonable and spotting can literally be done from the corridors out the windows- large queues of planes forming at the holding point which would make for brilliant shots.

Jason H
30th August 2009, 10:11 PM
the new reLAX lounge at the TBIT is good if you don't have lounge access. You do pay for the time you are there

If I can remember, it was $US10 for an hour, $US40 for the whole day i think. I was there around 11pm so I didnt see much, but the view in the day wouldve been great! And free nibblies, so you dont have to worry bout buying food! lol

Chris Q
1st September 2009, 02:02 PM
Id go V Aus or Delta - Id have to flip a coin to choose those two though
If you are hiring a car, some of those car parks are right in the flight path too and make for some good spotting

matthew mcdonald
1st September 2009, 09:57 PM
Hi all. I am flying out on VA 1 on 27th October. I got V aus one way for $596 when delat one way was $1200.

Looking forward to it.

matthew mcdonald
26th September 2009, 05:42 PM
Hi all. Sorry to bring this up again but I am obviously unfamiliar with LAX and dont really know where I want/should spot yet. I obviously want photos that are (Jetphotos) quality and are good for the holiday. (like monty said with imperial hill having the sun behind you the whole day). I will only be taking my 18-55mm and my 75-300mm so would the hill be good for that. Also can somebody give me a bit more info on this alaskan lounge as I know with only a 300mm lense I wont get all the narrowbodys from the hill.

Thanks heaps for all of your replys

Adam G
26th September 2009, 06:03 PM
The Alaskan Lounge (aka The Boardroom) is right above the Alaskan & Virgin America gates. It overlooks 24L/24R (which tend to carry a lot of narrow body movements).

Have a look at http://www.lawa.org/uploadedFiles/lax/pdf/Final%20Airfield%20Map.pdf - it's on the end of T3.

US$30 entry.

I sat there for about 4 hours waiting for an Alaskan connection a few months ago and there were some great views - even got a shot of the QF A380 on taxi.

Cheers,

matthew mcdonald
4th October 2009, 11:03 PM
Thanks for the replies. I have been looking around at various forums and am finding mixed messages about good spotting locations, what sized lenses you need for good photography at those spotting locations and where those locations are at LAX. I am only in LAX for one full day and would like to make the most out of that one day and cant afford to go to useless locations. The few questions I have left are:

1. If I take my 75-300mm lense only, will that be enough to get me great shots (JP worthy) from Imperial Avenue.
2. Is Imperial Avenue ok for me to stay and take photos for the whole day without becoming backlit at that time of the year.

Sorry to keep this post continuing but this is my first trip to LAX and I would really like to get it right from a photography point of view.

Scott Lindsell
8th October 2009, 02:15 PM
Matt check your email.
Scott.

Montague S
16th October 2009, 06:55 AM
75-300 the hill is fine, you will need a hire car to get there or take the bus to the hotel which is just down from the hill...can't remember its name though. Proudbird is a great spot too, as is the HJ's lot for 24 arrivals, there are lots of spots including down by beach at El Segundo...you don't need to photograph anything at this location, its just purely a peace and quiet spot.

matthew mcdonald
16th October 2009, 07:06 AM
Thanks monty. It has all become too hard. I have decided to take my 50-500mm lense and be happy with getting everything from imperial hill. :D

Lukas M
16th October 2009, 09:01 AM
this is how to get to in-n-out without a car. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgpIeInfvuc

matthew mcdonald
29th January 2010, 03:37 AM
Sorry to bring this topic back up again but it saves starting a new one. I ended up going to imperial hill and proudbird in October last year in winter and that was great, but I am going back to spot at LAX for a few days between 26th and 30th of May 2010 and would like to hear some recommendations of the best spots at that time or the year. I have heard that the summer is best at In "n" Out. Is the sun always behind u in summer at that place and will I be able to get there without a car from the airport.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Montague S
1st February 2010, 08:56 AM
in-n-out is ok, there was a great spot for 24 use in summer but not sure if its still a go or not, problem you will have is summer itself.