PDA

View Full Version : QF744 Harbour flypast this morning? (21/08)

Michael Arentz
21st August 2009, 11:12 AM
During a fire drill this morning I was wafting around Hyde park waiting for the all clear to go back into the building. At 1035 I was trying to spot the source of the roar of jet engines and eventually saw a QF744 cruising past, tracking up the harbour towards the heads at what looked to be a lowish altitude (I'm terrible at guesstimating height, maybe 2000ft?). Was this a planned CBD flyby or just a funky flight path?

Jason H
21st August 2009, 11:30 AM
It was Qf107 to LAX and it went over the Harbour Bridge at about 2000'. I've never seen that flight turn so soon after takeoff and fly so low over the CBD though, normally it turns later, near Lane Cove.

Matt_L
21st August 2009, 01:28 PM
Watching it on Webtrack- it passes right over a light a/c doing harbour orbits below!!

Wouldve been fun for them haha. I once flew Victor 1 in a piper warrior which takes you right past YSSY and we were at 500, 16R was in use and suddenly a LAN A343 just appeared to our left climbing through about 1000. Lucky we had maintained our track off the coast:p

Matt R
21st August 2009, 02:38 PM
suddenly a LAN A343 just appeared to our left climbing through about 1000. Lucky we had maintained our track off the coast:p

You must have been well off the coast - I was on a LAN A343 last year to AKL, and my ears didn't even pop. I looked it up on webtrak after we got in to AKL, we had half the climb rate of the A330 in front of us :)

Sarmad Al-Khozaie
21st August 2009, 03:35 PM
QF A380 did the same thing on Wednesday also, around 1-1.30 pm

Elias P
23rd August 2009, 08:35 AM
On Tuesday 18th i was gazing out of the office window to see an Emirates 777 fly over the bridge (well, not exactly over it, i suppose) with landing gear down and then turn left onto 16R. It was quite a sight. At the time i thought it was a scenic flight and couldn't find any info on here. When/why would a path such as this be used?

Owen H
23rd August 2009, 09:18 AM
Coming in from the East (eg New Zealand) and using 16R.

Standard is to overfly the airport then turn right into the normal pattern, however if traffic is light they will sometimes let you just go to the north and then turn left over the harbour.

It is certainly good fun when you get to do that!