PDA

View Full Version : Canberra Spotting?

Michael Atkin
28th August 2009, 02:10 PM
Theres a chance I will be going down to Canberra this weekend and was just wondering if anybody had any info on any locations around the airport that may be appropriate for some spotting, any feedback would be great, Thanks

DJ1118, PPP BNE, 9.10.09
QF555, BNE SYD, 9.10.09

Stephen B
28th August 2009, 03:52 PM
They are moderately serious about camera's on the airport property now, (as in them not being there) but if you're willing to spend a dollar to get in, go to the roof of the car park beside the Qantas hanger. It's way above the fence line, with an unrestricted view of almost the entire airport.

Otherwise there's a car park behind Brand Depot, as you drive down the access road, turn right and head towards the fence (you'll see the GA area behind it), turn left at the fence and go around behind the building. Not as good, but the overpriced coffee in Brand Depot is close.

The road at the southern end of the runway is all a no stopping/parking area now.

Todd Milton
28th August 2009, 05:31 PM
The AFP (ACT Policing and APS) are generally fairly good about it, I have had one run in with Brand Depot security there and after they called the AFP all was good. The Safety Officers (You will see them driving around the perimeter fence, on the runways and taxiways) have never pulled up or spoken to me when taking photos (other people may have had other experiences, however).

The Multi Storey Carpark is good for afternoon photos, Glenora Drive on the Fairbairn side is good for Morning photos. Brand Depot is good for afternoon photos, and the carpark closest to the terminal is great for front on shots of aircraft taxiing in the afternoon.

For food and drink, the terminal has two places to eat. The Cafe and Hudsons Coffee. Personally I stay away from the cafe. The Caltex next to Brindabella Business Park has a Subway, and some hot (And Cold) items there. The Cafe's in BBP are closed AFAIK on weekends. Brand Depot has some food outlets in the food court.

Kim F
28th August 2009, 07:12 PM

The road at the southern end of the runway is all a no stopping/parking area now.

Including the drive-way/off road bit on the Southern side ?

Michael Atkin
28th August 2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the reply's guys, so the very top of the carpark your talking about is just the normal airport carpark yeah?

Chris Thurtell
28th August 2009, 08:57 PM
Yeah its the multi story next to the QDS hangar.

A bit of advice - try not to point your camera towards the RAAF apron / hangar on the Fairbairn side too much, a few people are a bit sensitive about that and you might get told off by the APS or AFP.

Otherwise, its a very spotter friendly airport.

Michael Atkin
28th August 2009, 09:11 PM
Ok thanks for the advice Chris so i will even get told off from the top of the carpark? if i point my camera in that direction too often

Chris Thurtell
28th August 2009, 10:29 PM
Unlikely, its moreso if you are along the fenceline somewhere.