PDA

View Full Version : Innovation to cut toilet queues in air

Ryan N
18th April 2008, 04:52 PM
http://www.news.com.au/travel/story/0,26058,23559082-5014090,00.html

Innovation to cut toilet queues in air
By John Beveridge April 18, 2008 12:00am

AIRFARES may be skyrocketing with the oil price but at least the airlines are still keeping an eye on how to spend a penny.
The latest innovation in passenger jets is the one-man urinal, which is designed to take pressure off lofty toilet queues and save money.

The new units – which could start appearing in commercial planes from next year – are more compact and use much less water than the full toilet alternative.

Made by German manufacturer Dasell Interiors, units are being made to fit the Airbus A380 and Boeing 747 as well as many other common planes.

Flying urinals have been a standard feature on military planes for many years and installing them on commercial jets is seen as a logical way to cut costs and queues at the same time.

Given the weight of water, any usage reductions will immediately cut fuel consumption per passenger.

Norbert Runn, Dasell's head of business development, said the urinals were logical given that men made up the majority of economy class passengers.

The idea is to turn one or two toilets into men-only urinals and another into a washroom with no toilet, allowing passengers to freshen up in a more hygienic area.

Women should benefit too from shorter queues at the toilets and perhaps a cleaner scene when they arrive there.

So far consumer reaction to the idea has been fairly positive.

But some men are not too keen on publicising whether their visit is a number one or a number two.

And those who have used the military version say that aerial aiming can be challenging, particularly if the plane hits some rough air.

NickN
19th April 2008, 07:46 AM
I can see alot of blokes coming back from the urinal with their feet wet! :D

Rhys Xanthis
20th April 2008, 02:23 AM
I can see alot of blokes coming back from the urinal with their feet wet! :D

*shudders*

I dont think this will work. Whats the point....may as well keep the toilets standard...surely this just complicates things! (for maintenance and cleaners:p)

Brenden S
20th April 2008, 01:00 PM
It will not complicate things for maintenance. You have a inlet and a outlet, not hard.

David Ramsay
20th April 2008, 01:54 PM
can see alot of blokes coming back from the urinal with their feet wet!

Just like at the pub on a Saturday night. :eek:

Learnt a long time ago ... never go into an aircraft dunny with just your socks on. :cool:

Rhys Xanthis
20th April 2008, 02:41 PM
Learnt a long time ago ... never go into an aircraft dunny with just your socks on. :cool:

:eek:

Andrew M
20th April 2008, 03:33 PM
Amazes me watching people go into the toilets with either socks or no socks on, even at the end of a 14hour flight after the toilet has been used heavily!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

NickN
20th April 2008, 05:34 PM
After 14 hours the toilet resembles a wading pool. It is amazing how most guys still stand up when going on an aircraft, I always sit down to avoid a mid-air disaster!

Mick F
20th April 2008, 05:41 PM
Thank you for that informative post on your toilet habits Nick

Craig Murray
20th April 2008, 05:51 PM
It is amazing how most guys still stand up when going on an aircraft, I always sit down to avoid a mid-air disaster!

I love adventure, I prefer to stand and assert my rampant masculinity!!!!!

Nick W.
20th April 2008, 05:53 PM
I love adventure, I prefer to stand and assert my rampant masculinity!!!!!

thank god they dim the lights at night

mr murray roaming the cabin asserting his rampant masculinity

:eek::D

Craig Murray
20th April 2008, 06:09 PM
mr murray roaming the cabin

Hang on bro, I never said I did it in the cabin! I just said I prefer to stand, that way I don't have to sit in what everyone else has already had trouble doing.

Where is good ole Ti Dak when we need a latrine loving expert?

David Ramsay
20th April 2008, 06:31 PM
I do believe he has gone underground. :D

... and I'm kinda hoping your signature, Mr Murray, is not specifically related to this thread. :eek:

Brenden S
20th April 2008, 06:40 PM
Sitting down takes all the fun out of it.

NickN
20th April 2008, 06:55 PM
Next you'll be asking for a Bullseye to be painted onto the urinal!:D

David Knudsen
20th April 2008, 09:14 PM
I've never had a problem standing up in the WC on aircraft, except one time two fellow spotters kept buying me (at the ripe old age of 16) cans of fosters for the duration of our SYD-PER sector on -OJH , I do believe the majority of my outflow ended up outside of the bowl! Lucky it was OJH, nobody really cared :D

Andrew M
20th April 2008, 09:50 PM
After 14 hours the toilet resembles a wading pool. It is amazing how most guys still stand up when going on an aircraft, I always sit down to avoid a mid-air disaster!

Really :eek::eek: never had to do that, but then again I only go during no turbulance times !

David M
24th April 2008, 09:19 AM
Where is good ole Ti Dak when we need a latrine loving expert?

Wasn't he more into the ones in the terminals than in the air?? :eek:

I do believe he has gone underground.

:D Nice one Mr Ramsay!