PDA

View Full Version : Air NZ out of LAX?

Ben W
22nd April 2008, 04:05 AM
Quick question to see if anyone has flown to Melbourne from LAX (via AKL) on Air NZ? The ticket I'm about to book is through United but will be operated by Air NZ from LAX. What is there service like and do you think I need more than 2 hours to connect from United T7 over to T2 for the NZ flight? I will be traveling with young kids so do you think I need more time built in than that?

Thanks

Ben

David Ramsay
22nd April 2008, 07:26 AM
NZ's service in the air is usually pretty good but, as always, it depends on the crew on the day. Their service is on the ground isn't always the best, particularly at LAX.

I've transited LAX in less than two hours (in on NZ out on UA) but I wouldn't recommend it. NZ's check in is 2 hours before departure time and it is likely to take you at least 30 minutes to get to T2 by the time you exit T7, wait for the bus and finally get to T2. I've found the quickest way from T7 to T2 is to go out of T7 and walk straight across past the carparks to T2. It's a whole lot quicker than the bus but probably not an option with young kids though.

There is also the potential for your UA flight to be late into LAX.

Not sure whether you are on the early flight or the later one to AKL but if you miss the connection, there's nothing else for 24 hours.

In a word, give yourself more than two hours.

Ben W
23rd April 2008, 03:19 AM
That's great information and advice David. I will go with the 5 hour connection...which is the next one after the 2 hour one. All is good,

Thanks,

Ben