PDA

View Full Version : Spotting in Noumea

Adrian B
23rd April 2008, 05:09 PM
Hi all,

I am going over to Noumea in late May for business but may have a little time to spend behind the lens. Anyone been over to Noumea? Spotting locations etc etc

Good / bad stories even?

Andrew P
23rd April 2008, 08:59 PM
Yes, spent a week there, did over 1,000km driving around the whole main island.

Noumea has 2 airports, international is about 40km north of Noumea downtown, and has 1 runway.

Can easily see the planes from the fence along the runway, but problem not much traffic, only international basically QF, NZ, FJ & AirCalin

Domestic airport is right in centre downtown, and where light planes are kept also, traffic is significantly more, and mainly Air Caledonie with ATR’s

Banjo

Grant Smith
24th April 2008, 12:08 AM
Adrian,

NOU's not really a spotters haven... As Banjo pointed out NZ, QF and SB are pretty much it in terms of airlines, FJ no longer operate to NOU... So you get a choice of A320 (NZ/SB), A332 (SB) and B737 (QF)

No aerobridges at NOU either and I always find it pretty interesting walking across the tarmac into the terminal building.

Directly opposite the terminal and across the runway is the Air Force base as well, I've never seen anything of much interest in there and I wouldn't recommend taking photos of any military instillations in this French protectorate.

Magenta is Noumea's domestic airport and an interesting little strip too, imagine Langley Park in Perth (in redbull season) but with an asphault tarmac.

Brian Wilkes
24th April 2008, 12:45 AM
Massive heat haze to deal with as well!:(