PDA

View Full Version : The condition of Shep's Mound

Stefan I
5th December 2009, 05:53 PM
Being an infrequent visitor to Sydney I always try to get out to the airport and Shep's mound in particular when visiting. Earlier this week around mid afternoon I went around and promptly got my car bogged in the sand. When I arrived there were 5 cars spotting and in the next half hour or so as I tried to dig myself out all 5 drove off one by one without a single offer of assistance or word being spoken. My predicament was very obvious and you may understand I was most disappointed looking back by the lack of support. In the end the crew of an airport fire tender in the area helped me out.

I'm sure I wasn't the first and won't be the last to end up bogged given the poor state of parts of this area. I just hope whoever is there when the next person finds themselves in the same predicament proves more helpful than what I encountered from the fellow spotters (I presume) during my visit. My face was not familiar to anyone, but the common interest of spotting I thought would have overcome that.

Peter Agatsiotis
5th December 2009, 07:18 PM
That's very unfortunate and obviously disappointing Stefan. I myself have been bogged a couple of times but luckily those around gave me a hand. I have also chipped in and helped others in the same predicement.

Next time it may help just to ask for help (which I did the second time).

Matt_L
6th December 2009, 09:41 AM
Indeed,

that is sad to hear- sorry to hear it happened Stefan..

I haven't personally had it happen to me, but have seen it happen to others and was always willing to help out (and from what I saw other spotters were too) so maybe you just found the bad crowd:rolleyes:

Danny G
6th December 2009, 04:59 PM
Shep's Mound looks like its ready for redevelopment ? The poor condition that the owner leaves it in after the electric cable update maybe indicates its time has come . The encroaching buildings maybe indicates the future.Anyone know the plans ?

Michael Atkin
6th December 2009, 06:33 PM
Im really hoping they don't turn it into more carparks or something like that, hopefully they won't get rid of it all together.

NeilP
6th December 2009, 07:42 PM
Maybe we could petition Sydney Airport Corp or whomever else may be relevant to ensure we have at least some part of it kept for enthusiasts? Just a thought...
Cheers,
Neil.

Brenden S
6th December 2009, 09:27 PM
Perhaps if everyone takes a bucket of gravel, or blue metal every time they head to the airport that the sand will not pose a problem. Just start repairing it for yourself. At the end of the day everyone uses it, so why not take it upon yourselves to fix the problem.

Mike S
7th December 2009, 04:52 AM
I reckon we need to strike a deal with the tour bus operator just next to the mound.

That 2nd level of those bus, which is just nicely over the fenceline, would be PERFECT for spotting!

Dave Powell
7th December 2009, 11:29 AM
Perhaps if everyone takes a bucket of gravel, or blue metal every time they head to the airport that the sand will not pose a problem. Just start repairing it for yourself. At the end of the day everyone uses it, so why not take it upon yourselves to fix the problem.

you'd probably get pulled up for dumping material on private land:D

Raymond Rowe
7th December 2009, 06:04 PM
I reckon we need to strike a deal with the tour bus operator just next to the mound.

That 2nd level of those bus, which is just nicely over the fenceline, would be PERFECT for spotting!

That would be an ideal situation.Those buses make spotting perfect.

D Chan
7th December 2009, 07:03 PM
Actually I noticed this as well and think it's a pretty good idea. They would be laughing for parking their bus and earning money at the same time without a drop of fuel.

Mike S
12th December 2009, 03:06 PM
I might shoot them off an email this week wondering if its a possibility.

$10 per hour or something would be fair id think. You dont want people there ALL day so $10/hour would discourage that.

Sarah C
12th December 2009, 06:45 PM
Let us know what response you get Mike, if any.

Back to the topic, it is a shame that situation occured to you Stefan. The state of the mound has deterioated over time - the various heavy machinery etc working around the area makes me wonder what will happen to the Mound in the long term. Machinery parked at the bottom hasn't had too much of an impact but hopefully they don't have any plans for the area.

Philip Argy
13th December 2009, 12:20 AM
Don't laugh but I've introduced Sydney City Toyota to Shep's Mound as a great site to demonstrate the off road capabilities of their new Prado Kakadu - the soft sand, the hump in the mound, and the slope down to the road on the northern side make for a terrific little 4wd playground, and then you can stop and do some spotting! :)

Raymond Rowe
13th December 2009, 07:06 AM
There is more and more rubbish being placed in that compound and what killed the mound was when they installed those annoying little lights.The could have easily used flood lights on 2 poles to light up that area of a night.

Bernie P
13th December 2009, 07:42 AM
Don't laugh but I've introduced Sydney City Toyota to Shep's Mound as a great site to demonstrate the off road capabilities of their new Prado Kakadu - the soft sand, ..... :)

I like this idea, and perhaps I should have had a 'play' before getting bogged up at Myal Lakes on the beach!

But, seriously, the amount of cars that I have seen get 'stuck' in there is unbelievable! The local towie must be getting a lot of cash pulling them out!

I also think that the bunting style fencing has made it worse! People come up along the road and see it, and then retreat back and go around the block, up the hill and whilst trying to get around the smaller mound, find themselves in trouble! I know that most of 'us' park consideratly, but there are a lot of other people I have noticed that park willy nilly causing it to become conjested. I think that SACL could build some deck like structure (elevated to ensure photography vistas OVER the fenceline), with designated parking to the rear. Also, a couple of bins about the place wouldn't go astray (thanks to the recent BP and Golden Arch's) as litter is also becoming a problem. I also note that this would also be a security risk though, but I detest litter!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/63/4088715015_505272a5a2_o.gif

Stefan I
13th December 2009, 04:24 PM
I have to agree that it probably won't be long before Sheps mound is developed, together with the area behind that has the dumpsters. Now that the piece further along from the bus depot has become another rental car storage/service area, Sheps mound and surrounds remains the last bit of prime real estate on Ross Smith Ave.

I will certainly proceed with more caution next time I visit, I was just caught off guard as to how the area had deteriorated since I had last been there. Also probably a timely reminder for other board readers that may be planning to visit there. Thanks all for the feedback.

NeilP
13th December 2009, 09:08 PM
I don't go to that location any more - the lights are in the way, the view isn't very great. :(

There are now better locations for spotting out near the new boat ramp facilities near the port complex.

Those are very good for morning 34R takeoffs and landings, and possibly okay for 34L too, and certainly okay for 16L takeoffs in the morning provided you have 500mm or better lens.

I have to agree. Stopped by the other day... It will be very interesting once it's all finished and the other carparks and cycleways are open.

Cheers,
Neil.

Andrew McLaughlin
14th December 2009, 02:15 PM
It's probably deteriorated so much because someone introduced a car dealership to it to use as a 4WD testing ground! :mad:

Philip Argy
14th December 2009, 02:36 PM
They have been there only once Andrew about 10 days ago, and the sand was very soft long before then, so another theory would be in order! :)

Kurt A
14th December 2009, 04:11 PM
The Mound's condition as at Sunday afternoon 13th December.

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/DSC00363.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/DSC00364.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/DSC00366.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/DSC00367.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/DSC00368.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/DSC00369.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/DSC00371.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g183/yssy_moderator/YSSY%20Stuff/DSC00372.jpg

Sarah C
14th December 2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the pics Kurt - I think the sand at the back shows how easy it would be to get bogged. Also that "hill" to the right where a lot of people park has really worn away with all the car traffic.

Nigel C
14th December 2009, 07:08 PM
They have been there only once Andrew about 10 days ago, and the sand was very soft long before then, so another theory would be in order! :)

Maybe once 10 days ago but if they (or any other car dealer that gets introduced to its location by prospective buyers) decide to use it regularly for such activities the condition of the mound is sure to deteriorate even quicker...

Don't laugh but I've introduced Sydney City Toyota to Shep's Mound as a great site to demonstrate the off road capabilities of their new Prado Kakadu - the soft sand, the hump in the mound, and the slope down to the road on the northern side make for a terrific little 4wd playground, and then you can stop and do some spotting!

Do you care to leave your contact details at the mound so those who get bogged at this "terrific little 4wd playground" can get towed out by your terrific no-so-little 4wd?

I'm not laughing, and I don't even go there.

Scott L.
14th December 2009, 07:33 PM
If Toyota seriously consider the mound as a proving ground for the Prado then I will introduce it to Hyundai to demonstrate the off road capabilities of the i30

Adam J
14th December 2009, 08:20 PM
Philip

First let me say that I appreciate and enjoy your contributions to this forum. In my opinion you are a valued member of this online community and I find your posts enjoyable and informative.

But mate what were you thinking!

Decent spotting areas are becoming less and less around YSSY and Sheps mound has been deteriorating for a while. Your introduction of the area for
4WD testing while I'm sure was well intentioned was not a great idea.

We all make bad judgement calls at times and this might of been one.

Please don't misconstrue this as a combative post as that is not my intention, just a small rap on the knuckles and a reminder to all of us to look after the areas we are privileged to use and enjoy.

Cheers

Adam J

Jason Mac
15th December 2009, 08:14 PM
Philip,

All I can say is I hope that those who had a shot at you are perfect individuals.

A 4wd doing a few laps of the mound would cause less damage than the guy I saw bogged there, shifting a cubic meter of sand with his front wheels !!

Brendon I.
15th December 2009, 10:54 PM
Jason Mac,

I'm sure all the perfect people park elsewhere and walk so as not to further contribute to the already deteriorating conditions.:rolleyes:

I don't get out there that often but it appears to be a very popular spot with usually at least 2 to 3 other vehicles there every time I have been. I'd imagine it would get a lot busier than that at different times. I'm pretty sure that all vehicles accessing the area over time contribute to the conditions. Definitely though the last few times I have visited it seems to have worsened.

Gareth Forwood
16th December 2009, 06:50 AM
I hardly think that a few more 4WDs are going to have a significant impact on the land there. And the area that a 4WD is most likely to thrive in is the "sand trap", that everyone already has to avoid anyway!

Brendon, I'm not sure if you were serious about parking further away, but I don't really see that as a practical/safe option. All the nearby areas are either no stopping, or are parked out early by the ATC employees. The Maccas and BP carparks have a time limit and the area opposite the helicopters is just too far to walk on a hot (or very cold) day.

Perhaps all that is needed is some temporary fencing similar to those in Kurt's first photo above, to clearly mark out the sandy area so that no one gets bogged again.

Bernie P
25th August 2010, 08:36 AM
Have a go at this FOOL!!!
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4137/4924826094_1bb9b24a14_b.jpg

AND, what's worse, he was trying to jack up the front end (Bullbar) and the jack was only going into the soil/sand!!

Kent Broadhead
25th August 2010, 08:51 AM
Maybe spotters should just go and lynch that truck driver. Possibly fair enough driving straight through and down to the road, bu to try and trun on the obviously barely stable surface :eek:

andrew evans
25th August 2010, 01:45 PM
Is that truck for Real

Jayden Laing
25th August 2010, 08:38 PM
Its one thing for a truck that big to come to mound HOWEVER its also another thing for it to bring a trailer with it :mad:. It was always goin to end badly for this truck driver :p

Bernie P
25th August 2010, 10:04 PM
And Jayden, I suspect it was an expensive little excursion as well!!! The Heavy Vehicle Recovery on that one would have been interesting to see as when I was there, he had NO IDEA!

Lee G
25th August 2010, 10:17 PM
What more could you expect from this guy .... Queensland number plates in NSW says it all:D

John Thoroughgood
26th August 2010, 04:09 PM
Regardless of the aforementioned offending vehicle movements, I think the biggest threat to our use of the Mound comes from the local council, for other reasons.

I was first vehicle at the mound, at very first light, twice in the last fortnight. The amount of rubbish lying about the area was pathetic. Packaging from the nearby fast food outlet, a sock, newspapers and condom packaging to name just some. I am guessing by what I see at that hour, that the area is being used during darkness for other clandestine activities, nothing to do with our own interests.

On the first occasion, a local council vehicle arrived around 8am, and the very disgruntled cleanup man told one of our other members who by then had joined me, that the council was considering closing access to the mound altogether because of the condition he found it in most days.

On my most recent visit, I took a couple of plastic bags, and though I shouldn't have had to, tidied the immediate area and later dropped the bags in a bin at a nearby fast food outlet. It is sad if we have to clean up someone else's mess, but I, like the rest of our fraternity would hate to lose Sheps mound in this manner.

Jaryd stock
10th August 2011, 09:52 AM
Talking about the conditions of the mound looks like the airport management are fixing areas that are a bit ruggerd with a truck dumping quite a few loads of gravel today, hopefully fixing or the holes that have started to form..

Donesh I.
10th August 2011, 03:36 PM
You talk of strangers not helping....Members of this forum who frequently interact with each other dont help either, even though all it takes is a couple of lines by email. Iwas desperate for directions to the beach by public transport but my PM's were ignored making me feel so ashamed of myself that I wonder if those members think I was asking for some charity?????? was it so difficult to reply saying that the directions were a secret they would gaurd with their lives till they died? sheesh!

A McLaughlin
11th August 2011, 08:53 AM
huh?

Jacob P
11th August 2011, 10:02 AM
I'm sure there is a simple explanation as to why your PM's went unanswered maybe the memebers didn't access the forum for sometime or maybe they just didn't notice they had a PM in their inbox. I'm sure if you just asked by posting in the forum i'm sure many memebers would be happy to help as I know a few who regularly catch public transport to the beach. As they say if you don't ask you won't know.

Donesh I.
11th August 2011, 12:38 PM
Thanks Jacob, for your mature response. It really did make me feel better.Coul you please give me the directions to the beach using public transport? Or will anybody on the board for that matter.

Thanks once again and sorry for not being an idealist.

Jacob P
11th August 2011, 01:09 PM
Here is a link to the 303 bus timetable that goes past the beach. Hope this helps.

http://www.131500.com.au/plan-your-trip/timetables?lineName=303&itd_inclMOT_5=Bus&session=invalidate&itd_name_sf=Enter+street+%2F+stop&x_place_sf=Enter+suburb+%2F+landmark&itd_itdDate=20110811&itd_timetables.x=59&itd_timetables.y=9

Donesh I.
11th August 2011, 02:36 PM
Thanks...yes,now I have a general idea. the first couple of times will be hit and miss but then I will get it. cheers!

Michael Cleary
31st May 2012, 09:33 PM
Not having been out to the Mound for about 6 months or so, I was having a look at Nearmap today (as at 9 May) and it looks like the rental car parking is getting closer..........is it likely to get swallowed soon?

http://www.nearmap.com/?ll=-33.94492,151.180938&z=19&t=h&nmd=20120509

(You need to be logged in to Nearmap, but its free and they dont cover it with ads).

Andrew Coggan
1st June 2012, 12:11 AM
The aerobridge, ansett container and all the vaious pipes & stuff have all been removed from that little area inbetween the mound and taxiway charlie.