PDA

View Full Version : Quality lens cleaners?

Nigel C
24th April 2008, 10:15 AM
I'm after recommendations for cleaning camera lenses.

Are there any that you'd avoid like the plague, and are there any that you won't go without?

Many thanks!

David M
24th April 2008, 11:10 AM
Avoid
- licking the lens!
- Using a beer coaster!
- Your sleeve.

Use
- A good blower. (rubber not plastic!) I have a Pho-Tech black blower about the size of an orange. It has a removeable nozzle so it packs up quite well in the bag. Surprsingly I bought this blower in New Zealand. I guess they can't be without good blowers over there!
- A microfibre cloth. any will do. I have used a canon branded one for a while now and it works a treat. I really should get another as a back up.
- Buy the skylight filter to go over the front of all your lenses. Works a treat for those accidental fingerprints on the lens itself!

Just go into your local reputable camera store and they'll have the goods!

David.M.

p.s. Failing that Nige, just do a search (which I hope you already have done) on dpreview.com. I'm sure they have heaps there! ;)

David Ramsay
24th April 2008, 11:15 AM
Surprsingly I bought this blower in New Zealand. I guess they can't be without good blowers over there!

Is it made out of sheepskin? ;)

barry robson
24th April 2008, 11:29 AM
David,

What part of a sheep would be deemed suitable for a blower. My guess is that it would only come from non desexed MALE sheep. (Also known as Rams-ay)

Barry Robson (Alias Gerald Hatrick)

David Ramsay
24th April 2008, 11:31 AM
.:D :D :D

NickN
24th April 2008, 06:05 PM
I use a Spudz lens cleaner which is a microfibre cloth with a tiny little bag that it can be tucked back into, also has a clip to attach to your camera back, keyring etc.

I used to use a UV(0) filter in front of my lens but my photography guy made a good point, why pay a fortune for a good lens then throw a cheap peice of glass in front of it.

Mick F
24th April 2008, 06:10 PM
I used to use a UV(0) filter in front of my lens but my photography guy made a good point, why pay a fortune for a good lens then throw a cheap peice of glass in front of it.

You're kidding aren't you?? That is why you put a 'cheap' bit of glass in front of it, to protect the lense.

Professionals don't put UV filters on their lenses for no reason.

Stephen Brown
24th April 2008, 07:01 PM
I'd rather replace a $60 UV filter than a $1500 lens.

Raymond Rowe
24th April 2008, 07:32 PM
I'd rather replace a $60 UV filter than a $1500 lens.

I agree Browneye. What happens if you have a $3500 dollar lens and a stone hits the glass. all of my lenses have filters on them for that reason.

Gabriel S.
25th April 2008, 01:40 AM
Definitely look for the Hakuba LensPen (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/195069-REG/Hakuba_KALP1_Lens_Cleaning_Pen.html). It's extremely convenient and cleans perfectly - definitely the best accessory I've gotten for a while.

Professionals don't put UV filters on their lenses for no reason.

That's quite a generalisation. In fact, the relative merits of UV filters as lens protection are much debated, and pros are divided on the subject. On one hand it's good insurance, but on the other it's silly to spend big for L-glass or similar and then stick inferior glass on the front anyway. (For the record, I do use protective filters - albeit expensive, multicoated B+Ws).

Mick F
25th April 2008, 05:00 AM
You're right Gabriel, probably is a bit of a generalisation, however the point I was trying to make is that you at least put something in front of the actual lense!

Raymond Rowe
25th April 2008, 12:52 PM
Definitely look for the Hakuba LensPen (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/195069-REG/Hakuba_KALP1_Lens_Cleaning_Pen.html). It's extremely convenient and cleans perfectly - definitely the best accessory I've gotten for a while.

That's quite a generalisation. In fact, the relative merits of UV filters as lens protection are much debated, and pros are divided on the subject. On one hand it's good insurance, but on the other it's silly to spend big for L-glass or similar and then stick inferior glass on the front anyway. (For the record, I do use protective filters - albeit expensive, multicoated B+Ws).

Has never affected the shots i have taken. sold lots as well.

NickN
26th April 2008, 07:12 AM
I have found that my shots are clearer without the filter in front of the lens. However I use a $300 Sigma 70-300mm Macro so its not exactly L Glass. If something ever did happen to the lens $300 is nothing to cry over.

David M
26th April 2008, 09:36 AM
To use or not to use, that is the question??

For aviation photography I think it pays to have the filter on the lens. I'd say if you were a pro photog and you were doing studio work and the like, then I wouldn't bother. I do however remove the filter on occasions when shooting into the sun. Nothing worse than filter reflections all over the shot!

While in Sydney a few years back, I had a cheapy lens ($300) and I dropped the whole body and lens. Completely smashed the filter on the front, but not a single piece of damage or scratch on the camera or lens. I was glad to have paid for the replacement filter and the $30 charge for removing the old smashed and twisted filter! Sure beats paying money that you don't have to fork out for nothing!

So, I guess it comes down to personal choice. Can you see the effects of having the filter on the front or not?

I personally like the little piece of insurance sitting on the front of the lens, albeit sometimes 10% of the lens price!

David.M.

Stephen Brown
26th April 2008, 09:56 AM
Even a good quality UV filter is less than the cost of a lens...

Kurt A
26th April 2008, 05:31 PM
While in Sydney a few years back, I had a cheapy lens ($300) and I dropped the whole body and lens. Completely smashed the filter on the front, but not a single piece of damage or scratch on the camera or lens.
Still looking for that photo I took of the filter afterwards, was a mess. Total classic.

NickN
26th April 2008, 06:48 PM
If we have insurance for our cameras why are we so worried about damaging a lens?

Nigel C
26th April 2008, 07:35 PM
Perhaps not all people have insurance...

Mick F
26th April 2008, 07:40 PM
Please do tell us what your excess is to make a claim on your camera Nick. If it's more than $60 wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a UV filter??

NickN
26th April 2008, 09:14 PM
Excess is $100. And for that I could claim the camera plus both lenses. If a UV filter means the same quality shots for you that's fine but for me it seems to make a difference so that's why I don'y use one.

Jethro H
26th April 2008, 11:25 PM
I use Rosco Lens Tissue with cleaner. I book of 100 sheets and fluid is about $10-$15 from places like Videocraft.

Or just any glass cleaning fluid is easy to get from any optometrist, just don't use a no name type glass cleaner.

NickN
27th April 2008, 05:35 PM
Jethro, I was told not to use any fluid when cleaning lenses by a lady at Camera House Parramatta. However I have always thought it is needed on most occasions to remove as much dust as possible. I'll invest in some of the stuff you use.

Paul Waters
27th April 2008, 05:48 PM
Your camera 'expert' also told you not to use a filter too Nick.

Paul

Jethro H
27th April 2008, 09:06 PM
Generally I stay 'dry' with the Rosco sheets only.

I only use the fluid when cleaning my right camera up after some major work. (I am talking about a broadcast TV camera with a $20 grand of Cannon lens on the front)

But I treat my stills the same.

With fluid, you use the smallest amount.

Here is a couple suppliers web pages:
http://www.videocraft.com.au/cat/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=&product_id=163938
https://www.gettingcreative.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=11_42&products_id=239

JH

Krzysztof M
27th April 2008, 10:35 PM
(For the record, I do use protective filters - albeit expensive, multicoated B+Ws).

Hi guys. I've been away from SYD working and have actually have met up with a serious pro who was there to take pics from the concert. One of the things we've talked about was the UV filters as glass protecion. As mentioned before the pro's seem to either love or hate the protection, but those who use them say that it's no use buying expensive multicoated ones since the lens is already multicoated, so apparently even the uncoated UV's do the job sufficiently. Plus they say the advantage of uncoated filters is that you can just wash them with water and soap.

David Knudsen
28th April 2008, 08:42 AM
Plus they say the advantage of uncoated filters is that you can just wash them with water and soap.

Funny you mention that, I know a professional wedding photographer who swears black and blue he washes his UV filters in the dishwasher - always thought he was full of it!

Gabriel S.
28th April 2008, 11:35 AM
...it's no use buying expensive multicoated ones since the lens is already multicoated, so apparently even the uncoated UV's do the job sufficiently.

That's not correct. The multicoating serves to minimise surface reflection, which in turn reduces flare and ghosting. A multicoated front lens element means nothing when there's another piece of glass in front of it.

Additionally, the better quality filter multicoatings are scratch-resistant and water and dirt repellent.

NickN
28th April 2008, 07:34 PM
Your camera 'expert' also told you not to use a filter too Nick.

The "expert" who told me that is actually George Seper, professional photographer. George has shot for Vogue, Cleo, Cosmopolitan, Vogue Italia, Madame Figaro, Gentleman's Quarterly, Martha Stewart Living, Gourmet, Gourmet Traveller, Wedgewood, Royal Doulton, McDonalds, Sara Lee, Bell Magazine, House and Garden, Home Beautiful, Better Home and Gardens, Ritz carlton Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Qantas and Air Lanka as well as many others so I suppose he is well qualified to give such advice?

I think I'll stick to his opinions over your "less qualified?" repertoire?

Nigel C
28th April 2008, 07:52 PM
Well, blow me down!

I never thought I'd see the day when Martha Stewart Living would get mentioned on this aviation forum:eek::eek::eek:

And please Nick, DO NOT EVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN.....EVER!!!!!!!!!

Steve Leadenham
28th April 2008, 08:16 PM
And I never thought I'd see the day when a lens cleaning discussion ran to three pages of posts . . . . .

There is no right or wrong answer where the use of protective filter is concerned. More a case of personal preference and risk assessment. And as these messages prove, the pros are as much divided on the issue as us mere amateurs.

Grant Smith
28th April 2008, 08:46 PM
Well, blow me down!

I never thought I'd see the day when Martha Stewart Living would get mentioned on this aviation forum:eek::eek::eek:

And please Nick, DO NOT EVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN.....EVER!!!!!!!!!

Nevermind that Nige, I'm wondering when did George become a female name? :eek:

Jethro, I was told not to use any fluid when cleaning lenses by a lady at Camera House Parramatta.

The "expert" who told me that is actually George Seper, professional photographer. George has shot for Vogue, Cleo, Cosmopolitan, Vogue Italia, Madame Figaro, Gentleman's Quarterly, Martha Stewart Living, Gourmet, Gourmet Traveller, Wedgewood, Royal Doulton, McDonalds, Sara Lee, Bell Magazine, House and Garden, Home Beautiful, Better Home and Gardens, Ritz carlton Hotels, Hilton Hotels, Qantas and Air Lanka as well as many others so I suppose he is well qualified to give such advice?

I think I'll stick to his opinions over your "less qualified?" repertoire?

Mark D
28th April 2008, 09:02 PM
And I never thought I'd see the day when a lens cleaning discussion ran to three pages of posts . . . . .

Me either!!

There is no right or wrong answer where the use of protective filter is concerned. More a case of personal preference and risk assessment. And as these messages prove, the pros are as much divided on the issue as us mere amateurs.

I used to follow the put a UV filter on everything theory... after 15 or more years of serious SLR use I've yet to scratch a filter. However I have had shots in low or extreme light mucked up by the filter providing un-wanted internal reflections between the front of the lens and the back of the filter.

So now I don't use a filter 80% of the time, only if I'm in high glare or adverse conditions (sand / salt spray) where the filter can help the lens protection.

As to cleaning the lens (back to Nige' original Q) - a clean microfiber cloth is good, I also use the cleaning fluid I got to clean the sensor. BUT I don't apply the fluid directly to the lens, but to the cleaning cloth / paper.

NickN
28th April 2008, 10:10 PM
Now now, leave jailbird Martha alone:D

Adam P.
29th April 2008, 11:47 AM
I never thought I'd see a 25 page thread about doughnuts either, but well, stranger things have been known to happen....

Grant Smith
29th April 2008, 02:24 PM
I never thought I'd see a 25 page thread about doughnuts either, but well, stranger things have been known to happen....

Where's your proof?

Hahah that's right, you don't have any... So HAH! Never happened...

:D